Cardiff City face looming decision on defender’s future:

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:39 am

‘Short answer, yes’ – Cardiff City face looming decision on defender’s future: Fan’s Voice

By Toby Wilding

20/02/2021

Joe Bennetts contract expires this coming June, the defender earns over £20,000 a week, but is an established Championship defender.

The Bluebirds have a number of players at the club whose deals are set to expire at the end of the season, meaning they could at that point leave the club on a free transfer.

One of those player’s whose contract comes to an end in the next few months, is left-back Joe Bennett, who has remained at the club this season, despite rumoured interest from Watford late in the summer transfer window.
Having joined Cardiff from Aston Villa back in 2016, Bennett has made a total of 173 appearances in all competitions for the club, scoring five goals and helping them win promotion to the Premier League in the 2017/18 season.

It was recently reported that Bennett is one of several players Cardiff have opened talks with over a new deal, although it remains to be seen if the subsequent change of manager, with Mick McCarthy replacing Neil Harris will change that.

Football League World’s Cardiff City fan pundit, Ben Johnsey, has been speaking about whether the club should be offering a new deal to the 30-year-old.

He said: “A short answer, yes. With Cunningham departing on loan in January and likely tuning into a permanent move Cardiff need to offer Bennett a new deal.

“While I’m a huge fan of academy graduate Joel Bagen he can’t be our only starting left back, and Bennett could go a long way to help him bed in and become a regular.”

Our Verdict

It would probably be a good move for Cardiff to keep hold of Bennett beyond the end of this season.

The 30-year-old has been a regular feature for the Bluebirds so far this season, and he has certainly played his part in their recent resurgence under Mick McCarthy.

With that in mind, you could certainly understand it if the Bluebirds were keen to secure his services with a new deal.

Indeed, the departure of Greg Cunningham does mean that if Bennett were to leave, they would be going into the summer transfer window without a senior left-back on their books.

Considering the financial implications of the current season, bringing in two players in that same position may not be easy – especially when they will have other positions to address as well – meaning a new deal for Bennett could make sense from both an on-field and off-field perspective.
Attachments
2021-02-09T212922Z_873728286_UP1EH291NOYXF_RTRMADP_3_SOCCER-ENGLAND-RTU-CDF-REPORT-1536x969.jpg
2021-02-09T212922Z_873728286_UP1EH291NOYXF_RTRMADP_3_SOCCER-ENGLAND-RTU-CDF-REPORT-1536x969.jpg (290.72 KiB) Viewed 5856 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Cardiff City face looming decision on defender’s future:

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:44 am

I dont think Bennett is expensive , if you want to be a top 6 Championship team you need players like Bennett, if you fill the team with lower league players like Watt and Academy players just because they are less than quarter of Bennetts wages, then we would end up in the bottom 5 of the Championship.

Bennett, is a class player in my opinion :thumbright: :bluebird:

Great to have these Academy players, but I am with Big Mick, they need to be very slowly adapted in to our first team, remember some will make it, many wont.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby derynglas » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:52 am

Be foolish to let him go, he’s a class act at this level. I’ve no doubt he could nurture Bagan somewhat too, which in itself would be a massive bonus.

Realistically he’s on a million quid a year, what sort of signing on fee / transfer fee would we have to pay to get someone capable of replacing him? I’ve no doubt the most cost effective option would be to offer a new contract :bluescarf:.
derynglas

Postby maccydee » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:12 am

Can we bookmark this post somehow? Keen to see people’s views on 30 year old Bennett and see their views if he gets a new contract and it doesn’t go our way like a tubby attacking player we all wanted signed up.
maccydee

Postby ReesWestonSuperMare » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:14 am

WE definitely need to keep hold of Joe Bennet. Same goes for Ralls and Moore.

If anything I think the players now realise now is the time to step up their game and shoe MM what they can do, as he has the authority to go and use players from the academy / U23s who are knocking his door down hopefully. If they arent then they shouldn't be here
ReesWestonSuperMare

Postby maccydee » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:15 am

derynglas wrote:Be foolish to let him go, he’s a class act at this level. I’ve no doubt he could nurture Bagan somewhat too, which in itself would be a massive bonus.

Realistically he’s on a million quid a year, what sort of signing on fee / transfer fee would we have to pay to get someone capable of replacing him? I’ve no doubt the most cost effective option would be to offer a new contract :bluescarf:.

Same was said of Tomlin.
maccydee

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:29 am

Reply Twitter:
Attachments
FB4C9298-AFEB-431F-989B-E908DBC54DCD.jpeg
FB4C9298-AFEB-431F-989B-E908DBC54DCD.jpeg (228.95 KiB) Viewed 5176 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Pembroke bluebird » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:33 am

Question is what would his replacement cost
Established champions player no brainier he stays :bluescarf:
Pembroke bluebird

Postby Sven » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:26 am

Seems to me that Bennett is an important part of the current team/squad and his performances under Mick McCarthy have been consistent to superb :clap:

Sometimes, I think us supporters, Blue Lagoon excepted of course, should take the financial aspects out of the equation and just think of what his best for the team itself

Ultimately, the finances are down to Vincent Tan and whilst most of us believe we have the best interests of the club at heart, it is the owner and his so-called 'Committee' that have that 'worry'

Joe Bennet an integral part of the team, settled in the area and one to keep IMHO :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:29 am

maccydee wrote:
derynglas wrote:Be foolish to let him go, he’s a class act at this level. I’ve no doubt he could nurture Bagan somewhat too, which in itself would be a massive bonus.

Same was said of Tomlin.

Neil,

There is a massive difference, Bennett has no real bad history like Tomlin and also keeps himself fit and not injury prone.

Joe Bennett 160 plus appearances for Cardiff City in 4 yrs.

Lee Tomlin in over 3yrs just over 50 appearances.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby maccydee » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:22 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Same was said of Tomlin.

Neil,

There is a massive difference, Bennett has no real bad history like Tomlin and also keeps himself fit and not injury prone.

That is true Annis. However not that long ago people were staying Bennett was useless and past it.

He has looked excellent left wing back. I agree he should be given a new deal. But not 20k a week for two years at the age of 30.
maccydee

Postby maccydee » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:24 pm

Sven wrote:Seems to me that Bennett is an important part of the current team/squad and his performances under Mick McCarthy have been consistent to superb :clap:

Sometimes, I think us supporters, Blue Lagoon excepted of course, should take the financial aspects out of the equation and just think of what his best for the team itself

Ultimately, the finances are down to Vincent Tan and whilst most of us believe we have the best interests of the club at heart, it is the owner and his so-called 'Committee' that have that 'worry'

Joe Bennet an integral part of the team, settled in the area and one to keep IMHO :ayatollah:

Sven totally agree but so many people bring up the finances constantly.

Tomlin’s new deal and how much we are ‘wasting’ as he sits on the bench.
maccydee

Postby Sven » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:39 pm

maccydee wrote:
Sven wrote:Seems to me that Bennett is an important part of the current team/squad and his performances under Mick McCarthy have been consistent to superb :clap:

Neil, it's something I've stated before, i.e. that player wages are not for us to concern ourselves with, as they are a contract between two parties that accept the terms and conditions involved

That's not to say we shouldn't have a view on overall club finances; and I am sure the 'Committee' will currently be well aware of the burden injured players like Lee Tomlin are putting on these finances; but my argument will always be that he hurt himself in the service of our club and we should by default support rather than seize opportunity to 'knock'

Clearly some, like the aforementioned, have financial agendas that don't truly correlate to the club itself, but that is for them to reconcile :oops:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby skidemin » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:52 pm

maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Same was said of Tomlin.

Neil,

That is true Annis. However not that long ago people were staying Bennett was useless and past it.

He has looked excellent left wing back. I agree he should be given a new deal. But not 20k a week for two years at the age of 30.

ive no idea what he is on now , but if thats the going rate { what he could get elsewhere } why not ?
skidemin

Postby maccydee » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:52 pm

Sven wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Neil, it's something I've stated before, i.e. that player wages are not for us to concern ourselves with, as they are a contract between two parties that accept the terms and conditions involved

That's not to say we shouldn't have a view on overall club finances; and I am sure the 'Committee' will currently be well aware of the burden injured players like Lee Tomlin are putting on these finances; but my argument will always be that he hurt himself in the service of our club and we should by default support rather than seize opportunity to 'knock'

Clearly some, like the aforementioned, have financial agendas that don't truly correlate to the club itself, but that is for them to reconcile :oops:

100% agree.

One person who should be concerned about our finances and that’s our emperor and benefactor as he is liable for it. Until we start having court cases putting the future of the club on the line it’s nowt to do with us.
maccydee

Postby maccydee » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:55 pm

skidemin wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Same was said of Tomlin.

Neil,

ive no idea what he is on now , but if thats the going rate { what he could get elsewhere } why not ?

I doubt it’s the going rate. When he signed that deal it was a different world.

However, as usual (on anything but Covid) you are right. If other teams are looking for a pretty decent left back for a free and looking to pay that then we will need to pay 20k a week.
maccydee

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:26 pm

maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Same was said of Tomlin.

Neil,

Neil, only some people.

Rem it would be costly to sign a new replacement, worth £15,000 a week at this level and save trying to buy a replacement :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby maccydee » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:53 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Same was said of Tomlin.

Neil,

Neil, only some people.

Rem it would be costly to sign a new replacement, worth £15,000 a week at this level and save trying to buy a replacement :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Not sure mate. I doubt NG is costing 15k a week.

Lucky to find him for sure but there might be others out there.
maccydee

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:58 pm

maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Same was said of Tomlin.

Neil,

Neil, only some people.

Neil Less than £8,000 a week, but a fee to sign him worth up to £350,000.
NG looks a good signing.

But I have big doubts about Watters??
£200,000 with deal worth up to £500,000 with add ons and wages of £10,000 a week.

What I am saying is we know how good Bennett can be and he is consistent, we have made so many bad buys, high wages and costly signings, I get very worried when i hear about our signings, we have wasted prob £100mill.

So for me, Bennett, we know what we get and I rate him, but then I am only a fan :bluebird:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby maccydee » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:15 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Same was said of Tomlin.

Neil,

Neil, only some people.

NG looks a good signing.

£200,000 with deal worth up to £500,000 with add ons and wages of £10,000 a week.

What I am saying is we know how good Bennett can be and he is consistent, we have made so many bad buys, high wages and costly signings, I get very worried when i hear about our signings, we have wasted prob £100mill.

So for me, Bennett, we know what we get and I rate him, but then I am only a fan :bluebird:

Wasted 100 million is debatable as we have got promoted using that money.

It is a debate to be had though.

But I agree on Bennett. Solid player.

However it’s very early re Watters. Hopefully he may get a chance soon alongside Moore not instead of him.
maccydee

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:52 pm

maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Same was said of Tomlin.

Neil,

Neil, only some people.

NG looks a good signing.

Wasted 100 million is debatable as we have got promoted using that money.

It is a debate to be had though.

But I agree on Bennett. Solid player.

However it’s very early re Watters. Hopefully he may get a chance soon alongside Moore not instead of him.

Exactly So if Malky & Warnock had not got us promoted we would never have had the money in the first place :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

If it was not for them two we would never of had over £400mill coming in to our club :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sadly wasted so much money behind the scenes we have :cry: :cry:

We have to Thank those two Great managers :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:11 am

I for one say offer Bennett a new contract :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Forever Blue
Admin

Return to General Chat