'He needed a bit of love' - Cardiff City boss Mick McCarthy

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:36 pm

'He needed a bit of love, I put my arm around him' - Cardiff City boss Mick McCarthy reveals what he's done to reignite Josh Murphy's spark

Saturday 20th February 2021

The forward starred in the Bluebirds' 4-0 drubbing of Preston North End on Saturday afternoon and the manager felt he was one of the players who needed an arm around the shoulder

There are few better sights than Josh Murphy in full flight, running at defenders and beating them with blistering pace and dazzling skill.

It is a sight which has been far too rare over the last 18 months and one that Cardiff City fans are desperate to see more regularly.

Against Preston on Saturday afternoon, we saw Murphy at his spellbinding best. He danced inside and out of defenders and led the Bluebirds' press from the front.

The forward took his goal expertly, shifting a pass from Harry Wilson on to his left foot before drilling low into the bottom corner past Daniel Iversen to cap off a performance that more than warranted a goal.

He has been one of the shining lights during Mick McCarthy's unblemished reign so far, an unlikely hero given how little he had contributed this season up until the new manager took over.

When McCarthy took charge, he said straight away there were players who looked down on their luck, that they needed picking up after a string of dismal results had City looking over their shoulders at the relegation zone.

Murphy was no doubt one of those players. A player with so much talent bound in those boots who had scarcely hit the heights on a consistent basis.

Now, though, he looks every inch the player Cardiff thought they signed from Norwich City back in 2018. And the reason for that chance? Well, McCarthy said he just needed a bit of love.

MICK MAcCARTHY:

"I put my arm around him to start with, I felt he needed a bit of loving to be quite honest," McCarthy said after the win over Preston.

"He was a £12million player, you don't become that and then something that's a bit-part player and can't play.

"I didn't play him in the first two or three games. I sat him down, I told him my reasons why. He was happy with that, I wasn't giving him any BS, I just told him exactly what I thought."

You get the sense there is no sugar-coating when it comes to McCarthy's management style, but the players appear to respond to his tactile side, too.

On the tactical side, though, McCarthy said he has had to strip it all back to get the best out of Murphy.

"And [he had] to simplify his game," he added. "In that final third, then you're Josh Murphy, you are that fleet-footed, silky touch, beat players, create chances, goals.

"Middle third it's about not giving it away, being disciplined.

"And, do you know what? He has bought into every single thing me and TC (assistant Terry Connor) have asked of him and tried to help him with.

"And I'm glad he's reaping the rewards, he's a lovely kid."

Josh Murphy of Cardiff City scoring his goal against Preston (Image: Huw Evans Picture Agency)
Murphy now has two goals and three assists under McCarthy, whose record as Cardiff boss now reads two draws and five wins.

It is clear the former Norwich winger is benefitting from a slight shift in position, playing up front alongside Kieffer Moore, it had a similar impact on Sheyi Ojo just a few short weeks ago.

And McCarthy said that Murphy, with all the skill and pace he possesses, should be a daunting prospect for any Championship defender and now he is beginning to be just that.

"Josh, I just look at him and ask, 'Would I like to have played against him? Running at me and running in behind me?' No, I wouldn't," the Bluebirds boss added.

"He's been allowed to run a bit freer as well, not just hugging that touchline. It's suited him for now, let's hope it continues to suit him, he's doing really well."
Attachments
98470B68-032B-48DC-A04E-724796BC2C33.jpeg
98470B68-032B-48DC-A04E-724796BC2C33.jpeg (144.68 KiB) Viewed 4313 times
DF3EC940-748C-4F53-BE23-42B1DE47D03D.jpeg
DF3EC940-748C-4F53-BE23-42B1DE47D03D.jpeg (41.56 KiB) Viewed 4352 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: 'He needed a bit of love' - Cardiff City boss Mick McCar

Postby davids » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:18 pm

Fantastic results aside, for me one of the best things that Mick has been able to do is get Murphy, Vaulks, Pack and Flint performing to their obvious capabilities - these are all players who have cost millions in transfer fees and now all of them are starting to show what they can do and long may it continue,

Well done Mick, TC and all the players who are beginning to show what we all hoped they would - hard work, commitment and let's be fair, technical ability and plenty of skill.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:
Last edited by davids on Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davids

Postby Sven » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:19 pm

Mick McManmanager :thumbup: :ayatollah: :clap: :notworthy:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Big Hill Blue » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:21 pm

davids wrote:Fantastic results aside, for me one of the best things that Mick has been able to do is get Murphy, Vaulks, Pack and Flint performing to their obvious capabilities - these are all players who have cost millions in transfer fees and now all of them are starting to show what they can do and long may it continue,

Well done Mick, TC and all the players who are beginning to show what we all hoped they would - hard work, commitment and let's be fair, technical ability and plenty of skill.

Spot on
Big Hill Blue

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:28 pm

davids wrote:Fantastic results aside, for me one of the best things that Mick has been able to do is get Murphy, Vaulks, Pack and Flint performing to their obvious capabilities - these are all players who have cost millions in transfer fees and now all of them are starting to show what they can do and long may it continue,

Spot on David :thumbright: :bluebird:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby derynglas » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:43 pm

davids wrote:

On that note Vaulks says something not to dissimilar in his post match interview, about the way we play. So positive to see so many players rejuvenated.
derynglas

Postby blue lagoon » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:48 pm

Man management is a skill hard to find nowadays.

I guess you get better as you get older perhaps
WE'LL ALWAYS BE BLUE!
blue lagoon

Postby MoodyBluebird » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:53 am

The complete opposite of Thomas Tuchel at Chelsea who loves to critics his his players in public.

Privately I bet the Chelsea players would like to wring his scrawny little neck.

He's only been here a few weeks but I've taken a dislike to him already. I can see their players downing tools if he continues in this vein, much like they did in that season under Mourinho.
MoodyBluebird

Postby Pembroke bluebird » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:15 am

Forever Blue wrote:

Top post :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
Pembroke bluebird

Postby goats » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:01 pm

Pembroke bluebird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Top post :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

He is certainly proving a lot of sceptics wrong.....nevermind the results and obvious team spirit, getting very expensive players to finally play to their value is amazing
goats

Return to General Chat