Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" It's hard to believe these are the same players "

Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:25 pm

It really is hard to believe that these are the same group of players who looked like they were heading into a relegation battle when Neil Harris was manager.

The team spirit is a big factor at the moment, and proves that it was at an all time low when Harris was in charge.

Mick McCarthy and Terry Connor are proving what this squad is capable of when they provide good management.

All of the players have improved massively, and I could point out that improvement in any of them.

But it has to be said that Josh Murphy, especially, seems rejuvenated since the new management team came in.

What a turnaround from the whole squad and long may it continue.

I hope fans don't turn on McCarthy if we lose a couple of games, because he has had such a good start.

We will drop points at some point, and we just need to stick with the team and the management - they've earned that much :bluebird:

Re: " It's hard to believe these are the same players "

Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:33 pm

Not sure when he should be given an extension to his contract now or at end if season.
Players are playing for him , the defending is awesome and just as enjoyable as some of excellent goals.
Special mention to josh , what a turnaround.

Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:33 pm

Not sure when he should be given an extension to his contract now or at end if season.
Players are playing for him , the defending is awesome and just as enjoyable as some of excellent goals.
Special mention to josh , what a turnaround.

Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:34 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:It really is hard to believe that these are the same group of players who looked like they were heading into a relegation battle when Neil Harris was manager.

The team spirit is a big factor at the moment, and proves that it was at an all time low when Harris was in charge.

Mick McCarthy and Terry Connor are proving what this squad is capable of when they provide good management.

All of the players have improved massively, and I could point out that improvement in any of them.

But it has to be said that Josh Murphy, especially, seems rejuvenated since the new management team came in.

I hope fans don't turn on McCarthy if we lose a couple of games, because he has had such a good start.

We will drop points at some point, and we just need to stick with the team and the management - they've earned that much :bluebird:

Lovely post, was typing similar in my response to Annis's post about the youngsters. The juggernaut that is Cardiff City, is back on the main roads and heading in the right direction.

Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:41 pm

Confidence is oozing through the squad... McCarthy has got us playing to our potential..the work rate by the whole team was immense Murphy is like a different player .. defence not leaking stupid early goals anymore...keep it going boys. Blooooooooooobirds

Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:44 pm

Murphy. Class that needed MM to ignite.

Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:48 pm

The reaction of the players says it all particularly for Murphy's goal and the delight and reaction of Pack when he scored

Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:29 pm

65Blue wrote:The reaction of the players says it all particularly for Murphy's goal and the delight and reaction of Pack when he scored

Exactly, there appears to be a real togetherness in the squad that was lacking so much under Harris’ tenure. It’s bizarre how things work out, for example take Aden Flint getting his loan cancelled due to injury... He’s been superb for us since coming back.

Maybe, just maybe, things are starting to go our way for once.

Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:38 pm

It's a mystery to me how it all went flat for Harris after a fantastic run that got us into the play offs.

I'm not going to point the full finger at Harris as I believe the players then must take a fair share of the blame. They seem to now be a lot happy so the credit must go to MM there. Also it must be taken into account we had a few injuries when Harris was here, particularly Moore being out for quite a few games. I'm struggling to work out where it all went wrong but I'm not going to contemplate over it. I'm just relieved relegation is now of the cards and anything else will be a bonus.

Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:45 pm

The point you make about McCarthy's contract is a good one.

The risk of not extending his contract now is that other teams will be eying him up sooner rather than later.

I personally feel we should wait until the end of March and see where we are... How the team responds to losing a game or two and if we can still see such good momentum and team spirit.

End of March seems about the right time to make that decision.

Thoughts?

Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:47 pm

Ned,

Many on here said we had a great strike force, yet as an ex Striker Harris played defensively and dire football.

The players lost belief in themselves and thankfully Big Mick has changed our system and got the players to believe :thumbright: :bluebird:

Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:49 pm

Murphy is the one who has had the most dramatic turnaround under MicCarthy,mind you it was Warnock who shot his confidence not Harris.
Biggest let down was Glatzel.

Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:55 pm

I had a look at the Wurzels forum after they sacked their manager and they said that MMs contract is short so buy it out and get him in. In a way, he's fitted in and made an impact immediately, much like NW did. He's also brought in the youngsters on the bench so he's doing it all plus his football is attacking. I'd like to see him around long term and I hope VT/MD/KC get their best Montblanc contract pens out and sign him up soon, as he won't be short of offers now. Yes I know it's early days but I've been nothing but impressed about how MM and TC have gone about their business.

Just a shame we are not in the CCS to express our appreciation.

Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:05 pm

GrangeEndStar wrote:I had a look at the Wurzels forum after they sacked their manager and they said that MMs contract is short so buy it out and get him in. In a way, he's fitted in and made an impact immediately, much like NW did. He's also brought in the youngsters on the bench so he's doing it all plus his football is attacking. I'd like to see him around long term and I hope VT/MD/KC get their best Montblanc contract pens out and sign him up soon, as he won't be short of offers now. Yes I know it's early days but I've been nothing but impressed about how MM and TC have gone about their business.

Keep them (McM and TC) hungry until the end of the season; it's working a treat right now...

I can't see them walking away from this squad of players out of choice and they have already stated how impressed and surprised they were by the quality and set up when they arrived

Plenty of time to talk about contracts; and I'd say that about certain players, too... :ayatollah:

Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:11 pm

Sven wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:I had a look at the Wurzels forum after they sacked their manager and they said that MMs contract is short so buy it out and get him in. In a way, he's fitted in and made an impact immediately, much like NW did. He's also brought in the youngsters on the bench so he's doing it all plus his football is attacking. I'd like to see him around long term and I hope VT/MD/KC get their best Montblanc contract pens out and sign him up soon, as he won't be short of offers now. Yes I know it's early days but I've been nothing but impressed about how MM and TC have gone about their business.

Keep them (McM and TC) hungry until the end of the season; it's working a treat right now...

I can't see them walking away from this squad of players out of choice and they have already stated how impressed and surprised they were by the quality and set up when they arrived

Plenty of time to talk about contracts; and I'd say that about certain players, too... :ayatollah:

Your right about keeping them motivated Chris, why upset things when things are going well is I guess is the best approach. :ayatollah:

Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:16 pm

GrangeEndStar wrote:
Sven wrote:

Your right about keeping them motivated Chris, why upset things when things are going well is I guess is the best approach. :ayatollah:

I don't think Mick McCarthy is too bothered right now, Paul; his results are raising his 'worth' every game and long may it continue :notworthy:

Bound to be some 'hiccups' but that's where we the supporters need to be as calm and patient is he is...

Okay, maybe not... :laughing6:

Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:10 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:It really is hard to believe that these are the same group of players who looked like they were heading into a relegation battle when Neil Harris was manager.

Yeah man.

Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Interesting that no player is worse under McCarthy !!

Players that are massively improved though are Bennett, Nelson, Flint, Pack, Ralls, Wilson and Murphy.

But when you think that players like Ojo, Tomlin, Ralls, Smithies, Osei-Tutu, etc., would have been classed as key players before McCarthy worked his magic it just shows how he’s turned things around !!

Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:25 pm

" It's hard to believe these are the same players "
Postby worcester_ccfc » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:25 pm

It really is hard to believe that these are the same group of players who looked like they were heading into a relegation battle when Neil Harris was manager.

Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match, and your Player of the Month every month during the season :ayatollah:

Great post and absolutely right. The players just seemed to be going through the motions just before Mick took over, but now they really look like a good team, all working hard for each other and as a team.

:D

Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:49 pm

How is it hard!

Some have said for ages Harris lost the dressing room?

Wake up and smell the coffee people. No one wanted MM now he’s god. So many fickle people about these days MM never managed in PL give him a chance to get there.

Disregard less some players will have to leave to bring in new blood. As we know this division is unreal and can change instantly let’s hope it continues folks.

Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:16 pm

Same players - Yes and added better to what ended last season to the squad this season .

MM / TC - Have been together for years and what has happened to this point - shows what can be done :bluebird:

Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:50 am

AfricanBluebird wrote:The point you make about McCarthy's contract is a good one.

The risk of not extending his contract now is that other teams will be eying him up sooner rather than later.

I personally feel we should wait until the end of March and see where we are... How the team responds to losing a game or two and if we can still see such good momentum and team spirit.

End of March seems about the right time to make that decision.

Thoughts?

Totally agree with this, as things have gone a lot better than expected at the moment.

Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:21 am

Pulisnewport wrote:How is it hard!

Wake up and smell the coffee people. No one wanted MM now he’s god. So many fickle people about these days MM never managed in PL give him a chance to get there.

Disregard less some players will have to leave to bring in new blood. As we know this division is unreal and can change instantly let’s hope it continues folks.

Don’t count me in your no one wanted him category mate I backed him from the start even posting on this forum wishing him luck when it was rumoured he was coming :bluescarf:

Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:17 am

Confidence is a wonderful thing . We all wanted a turnaround,worried about the real threat of relegation(under Harris) . Well that as been achieved , so from now on in , anything will be a bonus.
MM and TC , have certainly changed the mind set of the players . Who all look different players to 4 weeks ago . Also the management team , will take it one game at a time (you cant buy experience) as far as a new contract ? Why not they deserve it !

Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:18 am

Pulisnewport wrote:How is it hard!

he has managed in the PL... Sunderland came straight back down... Wolves he kept up for 2 years...got sacked with Wolves in 18th spot with 13 games to go in his 3rd prem season...Wolves didnt win another game and went down...
but lets face it , should we go up , no matter who is in charge its a huge ask keeping us up

Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:24 pm

Obviously a fantastic change in fortunes since the arrival of MM and his re-organisation of the team. I would be surprised if the club failed to offer Mick some sort of contract as a result.
However, a few points I am uncertain about.

1. How would he re-organise if one or more of the three centre back were injured?
2. Would things turn sour if Moore had a further spell out of the team?
3. If we are not promoted this year, will we find equal or better replacements for Wilson and Ojo? I can't see either staying with us next year again on loan and we couldn't afford to buy either of them. (Yes, Murphy is looking good at long last, but we need a strong squad and not just a good 11.)

Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:35 pm

MR BIRCHGROVE wrote:Obviously a fantastic change in fortunes since the arrival of MM and his re-organisation of the team. I would be surprised if the club failed to offer Mick some sort of contract as a result.
However, a few points I am uncertain about.

1. How would he re-organise if one or more of the three centre back were injured?
2. Would things turn sour if Moore had a further spell out of the team?
3. If we are not promoted this year, will we find equal or better replacements for Wilson and Ojo? I can't see either staying with us next year again on loan and we couldn't afford to buy either of them. (Yes, Murphy is looking good at long last, but we need a strong squad and not just a good 11.)

That will be all down to Tan.

We can have Wilson for £15m. My immediate question will be will we fall foul of FFP? If not then the next question will be will Tan dig deep to buy him. personally I think £15 is too much.

As for Ojo I just feel the best for him will be another loan season with us. I can't see anyone coming in for him if he returns to Liverpool. Another successful season with us will will up his stock.

Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:51 pm

Will Vaulks interview after the game yesterday was superb and he is bang on.

Basically saying let's embrace what we are. Cardiff has always been known as a big physical side that are horrible to play against.

There's no right or wrong way to win a football match, big Mick is playing to our strengths and every player is giving 100% and it's great to see.

Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:55 pm

D.A.C. wrote:Will Vaulks interview after the game yesterday was superb and he is bang on.

Basically saying let's embrace what we are. Cardiff has always been known as a big physical side that are horrible to play against.

There's no right or wrong way to win a football match, big Mick is playing to our strengths and every player is giving 100% and it's great to see.

Will Vaulks' interview showed how insightful he is as a player......he will be great manager one day, he just seems to get it.

Back to MM & TC, they come as a pair, I see no reason not to offer them a contract now. Yes, we might lose the next two games and things don't look quite so rosy. But they have obviously brought something, probably self belief, into our squad.

It's like going back to the Warnock golden era, we might not have been the most skillful but we were hard to beat and normally grinded a win. :bluebird:

Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:38 pm

I think his change of tactics in playing a 3-5-2 formation with three central defender and two attacking wing backs is working brilliantly. It seems to suit the players who look like they are enjoying there football again and the work rate of the players is terrific. Both Ng and Bennet look good getting forward and Flint has been revelation. As long as Moore doesn't get injured we should at least have a reasonable chance of making the playoffs. If we did I think we would have a much better chance than last season when Fulham and Brentford were a lot better than us.

Let's see where we are on Saturday evening Bournemouh and Middlesborough will be tougher challenges than what we have faced under McCarthy so far.