Swansea and Cardiff fans join together

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Nuclearblue » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:58 am

A report taken from Wales on Line.

Cardiff City and Swansea City fans unite in racism fight ahead of next month's South Wales derby
Fans of the two Welsh clubs are looking to unite in the fight against racism ahead of next month's South Wales Derby at the Liberty Stadium

Cardiff City and Swansea City fans are set to come together ahead of next month's South Wales Derby as part of a new anti-racisim campaign.

The initiative, which is being pushed under the banner of Rivals on the Pitch, United Against Racism, aims to give fans of both teams the chance to show their collective opposition to racism by sending in a video of themselves taking the knee or by delivering an anti-racism message.

The move comes after Swansea star Yan Dhanda called on authorities to do more to combat abuse online after he received racist private messages on his Instagram account.

Organisers are hoping to involve both clubs in the campaign, while high-profile figures like Nathan Blake and former Ninian Park announcer Ali Yassine have also shown their support.

In a statement written ahead of next month's derby, a spokesperson for the group said: "On March 20 Swansea City football players & Cardiff City football players will once again today Take The Knee in support of Black Lives Matter.

"This is not a gesture. It is recognition that historically, and up to the present day that black lives have not been treated as being equal to white lives.

"The time for change has been too long coming but it is here. The onus is on us as footballers, fans and clubs to be part of this movement.

"Football is a vital part of the fabric of British society. We must recognise that the burden of ending racism is on us as much as it is to all other elements in society. Fans, players and clubs : rivals on the field but proud to be united against racism in our communities, all playing our part.'

"If you wish to, we'd love it if you could submit a photo of yourself (maybe wearing a football shirt or scarf) taking the knee, and / or a short video of yourself expressing support for anti racism and / or a photo by March 13th please."

Rhodri Francis, a lifelong Swansea City fan, is one of those behind the campaign.

"We're trying to get it viral as much as we possibly can," he said. "We have been working with the clubs too to try and get the two clubs together on the day.

"But what we've been trying to do for the time being is to get as many Swansea City and Cardiff fans together and the response has been unbelievable.

"Yes, you get your one or two idiots, but the response I've had from Cardiff fans as a Jack has been unbelievable.

"It's a personal thing for me because I'm a Jack and I'm a white guy. I've always opposed racism.

"My wife's Asian and I didn't really know what racism was until I met her. What's been happening recently has got people talking.

"Don't get me wrong. I haven't fallen in love with Cardiff or anything. They're still our biggest rivals. We're still rivals on the pitch.

“But when it comes to racism, Cardiff fans are my brothers and my sisters and I will fight for them all the way along.
“We're working together."

Swansea boss Steve Cooper recently insisted the club would continue to take the knee "until there's a reason" to stop, although not everyone is in agreement.

Championship rivals Brentford have confirmed they will no longer take the knee before games, while Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha is one of several black players to argue that the gesture has now become stale.

Speaking at the Financial Times' Business of Football summit, Zaha said: "I've said before that I feel like taking the knee is degrading and stuff because growing up my parents just let me know that I should be proud to be black no matter what and I feel like we should just stand tall.

"We're isolating ourselves, we're trying to say that we're equal but we're isolating ourselves with these things that aren't even working anyway, so that's my stand on it.

"I feel like we should stand tall and now I don't really tend to speak on racism and stuff like that because I'm not here just to tick boxes."

"Unless action is going to happen, don't speak to me about it."

Former Cardiff striker Nathan Blake agrees the gesture has to be the start of wider change, and admits he understands Zaha's stance, but insists taking the knee still has a place in the fight against racism.

"I'm just letting them get on with it, but I did show my face to get involved and do my bit," Blake said when asked about the campaign. "Regardless of rivalry, I can tell you from my perspective or the perspective of life in general, this is far bigger.

"There's a lot of black players who are fed up. I understand that. But I think with players like Wilf not wanting to do it anymore, it's borne out of frustration.

"When you think about everything that's happened to us as a people and all the things that were done to our culture, it runs a lot deeper from black people's perspective than just taking a knee.

"But I do encourage the taking of the knee because I think anything that's visual helps the conversation. Not just for adults, it might be an eight-year old girl asking their dad why they're kneeling. Hopefully as time goes, parents will be able to explain the situation and then that's just another tool or another avenue that will help break down the barrier of racism.

"It's a deep one, and I can see both sides when it comes to what black players think. What we have to make sure doesn't happen is that we attack one another's point of view. We have to accept each other's point of view. If you want to take the knee then do it, if you don't then don't. But we support each other as black and minority ethnic people."
Nuclearblue

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Swansea and Cardiff fans join together

Postby Nuclearblue » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:34 pm

So any city fans joining in this knee love fest with the Gypos over west ? :D :lol: :lol: :banghead: :laughing6:
Nuclearblue

Postby maccydee » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:48 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:So any city fans joining in this knee love fest with the Gypos over west ? :D :lol: :lol: :banghead: :laughing6:

I would only kneel for the Queen if I ever receive an award or when I visit Church.

That is my choice.

I am anti racist. Can’t believe people who aren’t in this day and age.
maccydee

Postby Pembroke bluebird » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:50 pm

Short answer NO
I am a Cardiff city fan proud of that
I am NOT racist proud of that
I don’t have to prove the latter by going down on my knee
Pembroke bluebird

Postby Bakedalasker » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:00 pm

Anyone know why Ali Yassine got the sack?

If what I am finding out is true then I want nothing to do with his support.
Bakedalasker

Postby Bakedalasker » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:01 pm

maccydee wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:So any city fans joining in this knee love fest with the Gypos over west ? :D :lol: :lol: :banghead: :laughing6:

I would only kneel for the Queen if I ever receive an award or when I visit Church.

That is my choice.

Problem is Neil if you don't take the knee you are labelled as one by one or two.
Bakedalasker

Postby goats » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:03 pm

What about those Voice of Wales clowns, will they be booing again outside the derby? They are saying they will be in Cardiff on the 28th Feb....hope they get the welcome they deserve..... :bluescarf: :thumbup:
goats

Postby maccydee » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:05 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
maccydee wrote:

That is my choice.

Problem is Neil if you don't take the knee you are labelled as one by one or two.

You know what I think to that Ian?

Need a middle finger emoji
maccydee

Postby CCFCJosh75 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:13 pm

Yawn. Nuclear broken record blue is back again.

Do you want to get your catchphrase out of the way and let this thread be ignored like yesterdays, or last weeks, or the week before, or the week before etc
CCFCJosh75

Postby WestCoastBlue » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:18 pm

maccydee wrote:

That is my choice.

I’m not religious myself but I can see why people would want to kneel before a deity or higher being in a place of worship but why the Queen out of curiosity? She’s nobody special. She’s just fortunate to be born into a life of wealth and luxury. One extra divorce or one extra arranged marriage or an extra ancestor hit by a horse and carriage or killed in battle and Queen Elizabeth becomes a Queen Anne or Margaret or King Richard or David.

No disrespect, but to me it’s no different to kneeling in front of Beckham's kids or Bezo’s family. People complain about politicians being out of touch with the majority of the population but it’s nothing compared to the royal family.
WestCoastBlue

Postby Nuclearblue » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:21 pm

CCFCJosh75 wrote:Yawn. Nuclear broken record blue is back again.

Do you want to get your catchphrase out of the way and let this thread be ignored like yesterdays, or last weeks, or the week before, or the week before etc

Ha ha you clown it’s not ignored as you have responded :clap: :clap: :clap:
Pure comedy you are :lol:
Nuclearblue

Postby rumpo kid » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:22 pm

Thankfully WoL don’t represent Cardiff City fans.. according to Vince at the meeting, taking a knee is nothing to do with blm.
So basically, no one seems to know what it’s for, apart from doing nothing as Zaha says.

WoL are a load of westies and gogs spieling their usual bilge.
rumpo kid

Postby maccydee » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:29 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

That is my choice.

I’m not religious myself but I can see why people would want to kneel before a deity or higher being in a place of worship but why the Queen out of curiosity? She’s nobody special. She’s just fortunate to be born into a life of wealth and luxury. One extra divorce or one extra arranged marriage or an extra ancestor hit by a horse and carriage or killed in battle and Queen Elizabeth becomes a Queen Anne or Margaret or King Richard or David.

No disrespect, but to me it’s no different to kneeling in front of Beckham's kids or Bezo’s family. People complain about politicians being out of touch with the majority of the population but it’s nothing compared to the royal family.

She’s the head of state and that is what tradition dictates. I am a firm believer in tradition.

However she is the Queen because of birth but she has been The Queen because of her character, values and morals. I have the utmost respect for her. She deserves it because of what she stands for.

Just my opinion of course.
maccydee

Postby Bakedalasker » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:34 pm

maccydee wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
maccydee wrote:

That is my choice.

You know what I think to that Ian?

Need a middle finger emoji

For me this BLM lark has caused division and not unity.
Bakedalasker

Postby Pembroke bluebird » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:41 pm

Short answer NO
I am a Cardiff city fan proud of that
I am NOT racist proud of that
I don’t have to prove the latter by going down on my knee
Pembroke bluebird

Postby skidemin » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:47 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

That is my choice.

the Queen is the head of the church of England ....bezo { whoever bezo is } isnt..
Last edited by skidemin on Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skidemin

Postby stickywicket » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:47 pm

I would. But I wouldn't be able to
get back up again. The knees are not what they were.
stickywicket

Postby skidemin » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:50 pm

stickywicket wrote:I would. But I wouldn't be able to
get back up again. The knees are not what they were.

got to put the effort in mate...no pain no gain....
skidemin

Postby robjohn » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:16 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:A report taken from Wales on Line.

Cardiff City and Swansea City fans unite in racism fight ahead of next month's South Wales derby
Fans of the two Welsh clubs are looking to unite in the fight against racism ahead of next month's South Wales Derby at the Liberty Stadium

Cardiff City and Swansea City fans are set to come together ahead of next month's South Wales Derby as part of a new anti-racisim campaign.

The initiative, which is being pushed under the banner of Rivals on the Pitch, United Against Racism, aims to give fans of both teams the chance to show their collective opposition to racism by sending in a video of themselves taking the knee or by delivering an anti-racism message.

The move comes after Swansea star Yan Dhanda called on authorities to do more to combat abuse online after he received racist private messages on his Instagram account.

Organisers are hoping to involve both clubs in the campaign, while high-profile figures like Nathan Blake and former Ninian Park announcer Ali Yassine have also shown their support.

In a statement written ahead of next month's derby, a spokesperson for the group said: "On March 20 Swansea City football players & Cardiff City football players will once again today Take The Knee in support of Black Lives Matter.

"This is not a gesture. It is recognition that historically, and up to the present day that black lives have not been treated as being equal to white lives.

"The time for change has been too long coming but it is here. The onus is on us as footballers, fans and clubs to be part of this movement.

"Football is a vital part of the fabric of British society. We must recognise that the burden of ending racism is on us as much as it is to all other elements in society. Fans, players and clubs : rivals on the field but proud to be united against racism in our communities, all playing our part.'

"If you wish to, we'd love it if you could submit a photo of yourself (maybe wearing a football shirt or scarf) taking the knee, and / or a short video of yourself expressing support for anti racism and / or a photo by March 13th please."

Rhodri Francis, a lifelong Swansea City fan, is one of those behind the campaign.

"We're trying to get it viral as much as we possibly can," he said. "We have been working with the clubs too to try and get the two clubs together on the day.

"But what we've been trying to do for the time being is to get as many Swansea City and Cardiff fans together and the response has been unbelievable.

"Yes, you get your one or two idiots, but the response I've had from Cardiff fans as a Jack has been unbelievable.

"It's a personal thing for me because I'm a Jack and I'm a white guy. I've always opposed racism.

"My wife's Asian and I didn't really know what racism was until I met her. What's been happening recently has got people talking.

"Don't get me wrong. I haven't fallen in love with Cardiff or anything. They're still our biggest rivals. We're still rivals on the pitch.

“But when it comes to racism, Cardiff fans are my brothers and my sisters and I will fight for them all the way along.

Swansea boss Steve Cooper recently insisted the club would continue to take the knee "until there's a reason" to stop, although not everyone is in agreement.

Championship rivals Brentford have confirmed they will no longer take the knee before games, while Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha is one of several black players to argue that the gesture has now become stale.

Speaking at the Financial Times' Business of Football summit, Zaha said: "I've said before that I feel like taking the knee is degrading and stuff because growing up my parents just let me know that I should be proud to be black no matter what and I feel like we should just stand tall.

"We're isolating ourselves, we're trying to say that we're equal but we're isolating ourselves with these things that aren't even working anyway, so that's my stand on it.

"I feel like we should stand tall and now I don't really tend to speak on racism and stuff like that because I'm not here just to tick boxes."

Former Cardiff striker Nathan Blake agrees the gesture has to be the start of wider change, and admits he understands Zaha's stance, but insists taking the knee still has a place in the fight against racism.

"I'm just letting them get on with it, but I did show my face to get involved and do my bit," Blake said when asked about the campaign. "Regardless of rivalry, I can tell you from my perspective or the perspective of life in general, this is far bigger.

"There's a lot of black players who are fed up. I understand that. But I think with players like Wilf not wanting to do it anymore, it's borne out of frustration.

"When you think about everything that's happened to us as a people and all the things that were done to our culture, it runs a lot deeper from black people's perspective than just taking a knee.

"But I do encourage the taking of the knee because I think anything that's visual helps the conversation. Not just for adults, it might be an eight-year old girl asking their dad why they're kneeling. Hopefully as time goes, parents will be able to explain the situation and then that's just another tool or another avenue that will help break down the barrier of racism.

"It's a deep one, and I can see both sides when it comes to what black players think. What we have to make sure doesn't happen is that we attack one another's point of view. We have to accept each other's point of view. If you want to take the knee then do it, if you don't then don't. But we support each other as black and minority ethnic people."

where is the racism I am yet to see it,plenty of hysteria with no evidence ? unless you believe in the delusional intersectionality its all complete nonsense.
Just ban activists on twitter its all a con.
robjohn

Postby WestCoastBlue » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:17 pm

skidemin wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

That is my choice.

the Queen is the head of the church of England ....bezo { whoever bezo is } isnt..

"Bezos' family" was what I meant to say. He's CEO of Amazon, pretty rich bloke.
WestCoastBlue

Postby Bakedalasker » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:21 pm

robjohn wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:A report taken from Wales on Line.

where is the racism I am yet to see it,plenty of hysteria with no evidence ? unless you believe in the delusional intersectionality its all complete nonsense.
Just ban activists on twitter its all a con.

Well that was my question when all this first came out.

My final conclusion now is that this has been an agenda to blow up something that was hardly there before. We will always have racism in our society but its getting to a level that we its so small its not worth mentioning. That is until such organisation come along like BLM with their agendas.
Bakedalasker

Postby skidemin » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:25 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

That is my choice.

"Bezos' family" was what I meant to say. He's CEO of Amazon, pretty rich bloke.

any chance of him buying the club ?
skidemin

Postby Sven » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:51 pm

Maybe, but at least he has convictions and gets his points across in a way that is debated rather than knocked...

As one of this Forum's poorest posters, you can only dream... ;) :twisted: :oops:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby maccydee » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:10 pm

Sven wrote:

Maybe, but at least he has convictions and gets his points across in a way that is debated rather than knocked...

As one of this Forum's poorest posters, you can only dream... ;) :twisted: :oops:

Is there a list?
maccydee

Postby Big Hill Blue » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:18 pm

maccydee wrote:
Sven wrote:

Is there a list?

I'm on it :wave: :D
Big Hill Blue

Postby maccydee » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:25 pm

Big Hill Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Sven wrote:

Is there a list?

I think there must be.

When I had my brief spell as Doyley1927 I was on all the lists. :laughing6:
maccydee

Postby Canton104 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:03 pm

f**k taking the knee and f**k the Jacks.
Canton104

Postby Sven » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:13 pm

maccydee wrote:
Sven wrote:

Is there a list?

No, mate; sorry to disappoint... ;) :lol: :lol:

I take every post on its merits but there are a few that rarely contribute other than with 'white noise' :roll:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Sven » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:14 pm

Big Hill Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Sven wrote:

Is there a list?

You wish; not even a pimple on the backside... ;) :lol: :ayatollah:
Sven

Postby maccydee » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:16 pm

Sven wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Sven wrote:

Is there a list?

No, mate; sorry to disappoint... ;) :lol: :lol:

I take every post on its merits but there are a few that rarely contribute other than with 'white noise' :roll:

Is white noise possible on a forum you read?
maccydee

Next

Return to General Chat