The ninian park commentator

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Robbiebluebird » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:13 pm

Anyone know what happened to Ali? Used to find him hallirouse, was gutted when he wasn't on commentating anymore.
Robbiebluebird

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: The ninian park commentator

Postby skidemin » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:38 pm

Robbiebluebird wrote:Anyone know what happened to Ali? Used to find him hallirouse, was gutted when he wasn't on commentating anymore.

did my head in with all that OTT cringe... and gave Blackpool the worlds best ever gee up when they allowed him a turn at Wembley...
skidemin

Postby Fairblue27 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:52 pm

I really liked Ali.
He tried to be original and inject a bit of humour into proceedings and also added some quality music before and after games to either build atmosphere or catch the mood after the final whistle.
It was always good to hear The Clash at the football which he played regularly.
He upset the hierarchy a few years ago and was deemed surplus to requirements.
Ever since we've had Dick Splash FM with uninspiring muzak with little imagination into building atmosphere before the game which is a sign of the Times unfortunately.
Fairblue27

Postby GENERAL CHAT » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:01 pm

Fairblue27 wrote:I really liked Ali.
He tried to be original and inject a bit of humour into proceedings and also added some quality music before and after games to either build atmosphere or catch the mood after the final whistle.
Ever since we've had Dick Splash FM with uninspiring muzak with little imagination into building atmosphere before the game which is a sign of the Times unfortunately.

Spot on, good guy too. Spoke to him on FB recently. He is well.

Always played Gypsies Tramps and Thieves when the jacks entered the ground.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Edmund: Have you ever been to Wales, Baldrick?
Baldrick: No, but I've often thought that I'd like to.
Edmund: Well don't. It's a ghastly place. Huge gangs of tough, sinewy men roam the valleys terrifying people with their close-harmony singing
GENERAL CHAT

Postby Robbiebluebird » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:20 pm

I remember that as well haha also remember Thomas the tank engine V Crewe! Maybe it because I was a growing up that I didn't find him cringe, but for me was always the voice of Cardiff.
Robbiebluebird

Postby Bluebird For Life » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:39 pm

GENERAL CHAT wrote:

Always played Gypsies Tramps and Thieves when the jacks entered the ground.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

And the theme tune to Steptoe and Son when Millwall came :D :clap:
Bluebird For Life

Postby JJ1927 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:05 pm

Bluebird For Life wrote:
GENERAL CHAT wrote:

Think it was QPR wasn't it because it was based in Sheppards Bush? And they complained.
JJ1927

Postby Don Keydick » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:07 pm

He was pretty spot on with some of his selections, "Hit the road Jack" when Swansea came to town, and when we got to the Prem he also played "The harder they come, the harder they fall" by Jimmy Cliff. I also remember Leicester had a player called Elvis Hammond and when he came on as sub, Ali introduced him as Elvis, haw haw, Hammond. Brilliant. But I was disappointed when we clinched the Championship title when I think the whole ground would have sung "We are the champions" to celebrate, but he didn't play it. Our stadium announcer now is not that good IMO.
Don Keydick

Postby Abergavenny » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:40 am

He made you laugh at times and made you cringe at times as well I preferred that than the boring stuff we have had since he left
Abergavenny

Postby Willo Cardiff » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:58 am

Didn’t he also play ‘money’s to tight and I mention’ when we played the jacks? :lol:
Willo Cardiff

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:29 pm

Robbiebluebird wrote:Anyone know what happened to Ali? Used to find him hallirouse, was gutted when he wasn't on commentating anymore.

He had a big fall out with our club, big time.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Willo Cardiff » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:17 pm

Willo Cardiff wrote:Didn’t he also play ‘money’s too tight to mention’ when we played the jacks? :lol:
Willo Cardiff

Postby davids » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:32 pm

Also remember him playing "Gay Bar" by Electric Six when we were playing Brighton.

Can't see him getting away with that one nowadays.
davids

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:29 pm

JJ1927 wrote:
Bluebird For Life wrote:
GENERAL CHAT wrote:

Think it was QPR wasn't it because it was based in Sheppards Bush? And they complained.

I thought it was West Ham lol
bluebirdoct1962

Return to General Chat