Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City boss Mick McCarthy issues fitness update ahead

Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:42 am

Cardiff City boss Mick McCarthy issues fitness update ahead of 'huge' Bournemouth game

The Bluebirds head into Wednesday night's clash with a view to usurping the Cherries in the play-off spots

Tuesday 23rd February 2021

Cardiff City are set to welcome back Junior Hoilett for what Mick McCarthy has called the toughest game of his Bluebirds tenure.

A number of key players have been absent in recent weeks, with the likes of Isaak Davies and Rubin Colwill named on the City bench, with the latter making his debut in the win over Coventry City.

But Saturday's 4-0 thumping of Preston North End saw the welcome inclusion of Jonny Williams and the return of Sheyi Ojo as the Bluebirds' squad continues to look stronger with each passing week.

Now, Hoilett is in contention for Wednesday night's clash with Bournemouth, having missed the last three fixtures with a calf issue.

Joe Ralls, though, is still not fit enough and might not even be ready for the weekend.

MICK McCARTHY:

"There are few tired legs from Saturday, but nothing really," McCarthy said. "Junior Hoilett trained yesterday. Joe Ralls will train today.

"It’s just bumps and bruises, but nothing that will keep them out."

McCarthy also said that Jordi Osei-Tutu is targeting the week beginning March 6 for his reintegration with the first-team squad, while Lee Tomlin is set to turn out for the under-23s for the second time in as many weeks on Tuesday afternoon as he steps up his recovery.

It is all seemingly heading in the right direction for the Bluebirds, who will need to utilise all of their squad as they head into the business end of the season.

Ahead of Wednesday night's game, City are just three points behind sixth-placed Bournemouth and a win would displace the Cherries in the play-off spots.

That is almost unthinkable given where Cardiff found themselves just a few short weeks ago, but following a string of positive results - two draws and five wins - the Bluebirds are now in punching distance of the top six and McCarthy wants that momentum to carry them forward and copy last season's feat of reaching the play-offs.

"I hope we emulate that," McCarthy said of last year's end-of-season charge to the play-offs.

"There is a different feel to this game, of course. It's a big game and we can get into the play-offs if we win it.

"But, equally, the last thing they want to do is drop out of the top six, Bournemouth. I understand the feelings from both clubs.

"I keep stressing that all we can do and the momentum that we have has come off the back of good performances.

"Play as well as we can and if we do, quite clearly we have the ability to win games in this league. It’s a huge game for us."

McCarthy said just a few weeks back that he had "unfinished business" in the Premier League, whether that comes with promotion this season or not remains to be seen.

However, there will be no getting carried away ahead of what the manager agreed was his "toughest test" so far

"I'm not going to tell a lie, you always want to do as well as you possibly can.

"You start thinking you can get in the play-offs then you get to Bournemouth and get slapped and people call it a flash in the pan.

"So I don't get carried away with it at all. Let’s just try and win the game and see where we are at.

"I'm in no way thinking about being in the Premier League."

Should City beat Bournemouth and move into those top-six spots, though, and thousands of fans in the Welsh capital will doubtless be daring to dream.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.