Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The academy seems to be working

Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:03 pm

After years of investment the players are finally starting to come through so it seems, at all age groups they are very competitive,well done the club for investing the last few years in the houses of sport and community based programmes really seems to start to paying off

Re: The academy seems to be working

Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:32 pm

wez1927 wrote:After years of investment the players are finally starting to come through so it seems, at all age groups they are very competitive,well done the club for investing the last few years in the houses of sport and community based programmes really seems to start to paying off

Wez listening to ex players they've said the talents always been there but get impression no manager recently willing to try them.... for whatever reasons club got in two excellent coaches who know what they are doing and a manager willing to put them in squad and hey presto things looking brighter ? Now let's hope tan as learned from what's happening and gets a manager in who is willing to use youngsters when they are ready not let them stagnate in academy like previous managers have.

Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:34 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
wez1927 wrote:After years of investment the players are finally starting to come through so it seems, at all age groups they are very competitive,well done the club for investing the last few years in the houses of sport and community based programmes really seems to start to paying off

Wez listening to ex players they've said the talents always been there but get impression no manager recently willing to try them.... for whatever reasons club got in two excellent coaches who know what they are doing and a manager willing to put them in squad and hey presto things looking brighter ? Now let's hope tan as learned from what's happening and gets a manager in who is willing to use youngsters when they are ready not let them stagnate in academy like previous managers have.

I remember Bellamy saying the talent is there

Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:02 pm

wez1927 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

I remember Bellamy saying the talent is there

Obviously it was and it just needed right personell in right places to bring them on..

Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:41 pm

The U23's have now Won their last 5 Games or it's 6 Wins from last 7 played :bluebird:

Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:15 am

TopCat CCFC wrote:The U23's have now Won their last 5 Games or it's 6 Wins from last 7 played :bluebird:

The under 18's results have improved too :thumbup: bodes well for the future we hope.both teams are young too,so good on them all. WELL DONE YOUNG BLUEBIRDS :ayatollah: keep going now :clap: :clap: :clap:

Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:49 am

TopCat CCFC wrote:The U23's have now Won their last 5 Games or it's 6 Wins from last 7 played :bluebird:

I've been saying for the last few years that you don't see the fruits of the academy investment for at least 8 to 10 years as back then the youngsters of 8 to 10 year old need to progress through the ranks ,alot of club bashers been over the years had been moaning big time about the academy but the club has invested massively over the last few years and it seems to be working now hopefully a conveyor belt of talent will come through

Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:07 am

wez1927 wrote:

I've been saying for the last few years that you don't see the fruits of the academy investment for at least 8 to 10 years as back then the youngsters of 8 to 10 year old need to progress through the ranks ,alot of club bashers been over the years had been moaning big time about the academy but the club has invested massively over the last few years and it seems to be working now hopefully a conveyor belt of talent will come through

Many of these players only joined in the last year or two, very few have been with us for over 3-4 years, we got them from other Academies. Early days yet but looking good :thumbright:

Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:10 am

It's about bloody time to it's been going on for years without any players coming through otherwise it's been another waste of money in my opinion. Some home grown players who would run through brick walls is what we need for the years to come if we play them regular and can hold on to them

Cardiff City's U!8's have played 14 games this season. Won 6 & Lost 8 games.

Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:16 am

I personally thinks it brilliant to see these kids coming through and many of the current under 23’s have been with us for years, I love to see these players coming through and have always wanted it to happen, the next step is that hopefully they finally make the first team and become regulars :bluebird: :bluebird:

Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:18 am

Always City wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Many of these players only joined in the last year or two, very few have been with us for over 3-4 years, we got them from other Academies. Early days yet but looking good :thumbright:

Many of the youngsters your in about, yes we did sign them only on the last couple of years.
Wez is on about the younger ones who look brilliant :bluebird: :bluebird: , just hope they finally make it and there is NO club bashing, just fans opinions on the current regime / committee who have wasted hundreds of millions .

Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:21 am

Bluebird1977 wrote:It's about bloody time to it's been going on for years without any players coming through otherwise it's been another waste of money in my opinion. Some home grown players who would run through brick walls is what we need for the years to come if we play them regular and can hold on to them

Ian, 11 years ago our Accademy was brilliant and suddenly it stopped for years, nothing came through .

I agree it’s about time and we now have to hope these kids can actually shine in the Championship as ever two years we were clearing out the under 23’s.

Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:28 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Bluebird1977 wrote:It's about bloody time to it's been going on for years without any players coming through otherwise it's been another waste of money in my opinion. Some home grown players who would run through brick walls is what we need for the years to come if we play them regular and can hold on to them

Ian, 11 years ago our Accademy was brilliant and suddenly it stopped for years, nothing came through .

I agree it’s about time and we now have to hope these kids can actually shine in the Championship as ever two years we were clearing out the under 23’s.

Totally agree like I said above we have spunked money up the wall to date on it all otherwsie. I wouldn't build a chicken farm in my back garden for the last 11 years to say oh well let's release them as there not good enough every year. I'd can it in all together if that was the case otherwise your wasting money, it's not viable buisness wise as there's no returns :lol: Also it's not as if the club ain't wasted enough on legal battles which was never winnable to start with let alone 11yrs of zero coming through to the first team. Oh the joys :lol:

Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:50 am

Bluebird1977 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Totally agree like I said above we have spunked money up the wall to date on it all otherwsie. I wouldn't build a chicken farm in my back garden for the last 11 years to say oh well let's release them as there not good enough every year. I'd can it in all together if that was the case otherwise your wasting money, it's not viable buisness wise as there's no returns :lol: Also it's not as if the club ain't wasted enough on legal battles which was never winnable to start with let alone 11yrs of zero coming through to the first team. Oh the joys :lol:

Your so spot on Ian :lol: :thumbright: :bluebird:

We have wasted money beyond and this committee have fucked up time and time again, let’s hope finally they have got it right and these players make it, hopefully not sold either :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:03 am

It is always a strange time of the year for academy and under 23 when you see results It is usually this time of the year post Jan when teams decide who is likely to be staying and who will be leaving So it is hard to judge how strong the sides are you have been playing One of our best players who came out of the academy Ramsey was a member of a very weak age group at the time A few years below was a very strong age group where the average player was very good and the results were strong The only player to really come out of that was Declan John Others in that age group were players like
Tom Lockyer
Tommy O’Sullivan
Josh Yowerth
Kane Owen
Theo Wharton
In fact 6 of the players played against England and won 4-1 but never really made it high up in the game They even beat Southampton 5-1 who were seen as the best academy side and 5 of that Southampton team that day have played i. premiership and 4 have played for England senior team so crazy

Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:05 am

Ian,

Bells now has a place next to me in Santa Ponsa, he told me it was so messed up our Accademy and needed clearing out big time and that’s only a couple of years ago.

Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:29 am

Forever Blue wrote:Ian,

Bells now has a place next to me in Santa Ponsa, he told me it was so messed up our Accademy and needed clearing out big time and that’s only a couple of years ago.

He also said there's a lot of talent through all the year groups in a artcle he done in wales on line looks like he was right with the way they are starting to come through, it takes time for these players to come through, the 18 year olds of today could of joined the club 10 years ago ,remember when Sam left and in-between tan coming there was no investment at all in the academy, we couldn't even get a pitch for dave Jones to train on in those days

Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:27 pm

Abergavenny wrote:It is always a strange time of the year for academy and under 23 when you see results It is usually this time of the year post Jan when teams decide who is likely to be staying and who will be leaving So it is hard to judge how strong the sides are you have been playing One of our best players who came out of the academy Ramsey was a member of a very weak age group at the time A few years below was a very strong age group where the average player was very good and the results were strong The only player to really come out of that was Declan John Others in that age group were players like
Tom Lockyer
Tommy O’Sullivan
Josh Yowerth
Kane Owen
Theo Wharton
In fact 6 of the players played against England and won 4-1 but never really made it high up in the game They even beat Southampton 5-1 who were seen as the best academy side and 5 of that Southampton team that day have played i. premiership and 4 have played for England senior team so crazy

On the way to Wembley I got talking to a guy involved in the Youth setup and he assured me Ramsey was only a taste of things to come. Ramsey *6 he called it. So as time went by I took an interest on the academy and only one look like he was going to make it, Tommy O'Sullivan. As we know he was transferred out and until now we have not seen any of the Academy youth come through.

Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:31 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Ian,

He also said there's a lot of talent through all the year groups in a artcle he done in wales on line looks like he was right with the way they are starting to come through, it takes time for these players to come through, the 18 year olds of today could of joined the club 10 years ago ,remember when Sam left and in-between tan coming there was no investment at all in the academy, we couldn't even get a pitch for dave Jones to train on in those days

Wez,

He also said it was a mess and once again needed a complete over all.

Wez, Bellers wont work for Tan.

Also the Committee approached Bellers for the job and he turned it down flat.

Thankfully We now have Big Mick, but not through Tan, through desperation and the thought of losing half our value if relegated.

All the above is facts.

But lets now enjoy these Great times under Big Mick, this is what we dream off :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Everything

Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:04 pm

Come on guys,all grades are doing fantastic of late,frim u18's to the 1st team,lets all enjoy it,regardless of whats gone on in previous years,its about the now surely? CCFC.

Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:12 am

I tell you what. It really (really) hurts seeing Ben Cabango playing for them down the road knowing how much his family love Cardiff. It makes me feel sick.

Hopefully the recruitment into the academy is also improving. Seems to be. Camron McWilliams was recruited las summer and looks a brilliant right-back / wing-back prospect.

Seeing our youngsters thriving and making their way into the first team is one of the best things ever. Something we have all been deprived of for too long.

Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:19 am

Also, does anyone know who the trialist is who has played the last few games.

I thought he looked very assured and seemed popular with the other players.

Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:11 am

The academy under Sam Hamman and before was first rate. OK at the time we didn't have a pot to piss in which meant that youngsters at the time like Joe Ledley, Aaron Ramsey, Chris Gunter, James Collins, Rob Earnshaw and Cameron Jerome got their chance and it was brilliant seeing them breakthrough and making such a positive contribution to the first team.

Also remember that the Welsh squad which made it to the semi-finals of the Euro 2016 competition had Ledley, Ramsey, Gunter and Collins in it from that group of youngsters.

Bringing our own through the academy is really a win, win situation for both CCFC and the National side.

Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:37 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:The academy under Sam Hamman and before was first rate. OK at the time we didn't have a pot to piss in which meant that youngsters at the time like Joe Ledley, Aaron Ramsey, Chris Gunter, James Collins, Rob Earnshaw and Cameron Jerome got their chance and it was brilliant seeing them breakthrough and making such a positive contribution to the first team.

Also remember that the Welsh squad which made it to the semi-finals of the Euro 2016 competition had Ledley, Ramsey, Gunter and Collins in it from that group of youngsters.

Bringing our own through the academy is really a win, win situation for both CCFC and the National side.

100% Spot on Tony :thumbright: :bluebird:

Sam made our Accademy and for years after it’s been neglected.

They are finally realising what it means to a club.

Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:47 am

One question I haven't seen addressed, is what academy player, that we have let go (for whatever reason ) has gone on to earn a good contract, in the championship, let alone elswhere? Because if they were good enough, some other "top acedemy" would have taken them on. Apart from maybe one or two that slip through, no doubt hundreds are simply not good enough?

Not saying anything about past academies, because that ship has sailed, I'm happy at last that the talent is beginning to show, in the recent upsurge in results for u18's , & u 23's, and fingers crossed, a few boys progress on to the 1st team :thumbup: :old: :bluebird:

Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:50 pm

bluesince62 wrote:One question I haven't seen addressed, is what academy player, that we have let go (for whatever reason ) has gone on to earn a good contract, in the championship, let alone elswhere? Because if they were good enough, some other "top acedemy" would have taken them on. Apart from maybe one or two that slip through, no doubt hundreds are simply not good enough?

Not saying anything about past academies, because that ship has sailed, I'm happy at last that the talent is beginning to show, in the recent upsurge in results for u18's , & u 23's, and fingers crossed, a few boys progress on to the 1st team :thumbup: :old: :bluebird:

The only ones i can think that we let go that ended at championship sides were
Tom Lockyer now at Luton Josh Yowerth went to Ipswich when they were championship i believe Couple of guys went to Man U but did nothing really thou Regan Poole did play one game for first team then nothing Also the guy at Preston who’s name escapes me

Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:58 pm

GUTTED: “ Cardiff City Today “
Link
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=220779