On this day .. Battle of Ninian Park 1984 ..one of the bigge

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: On this day .. Battle of Ninian Park 1984 ..one of the b

Postby skidemin » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:45 pm

keanoswinklepickers wrote:Violence was worst when Chelsea relegated from Division 1 about 79/80. Before this we had home Internationals Wales v England at Ninian Park. Big Chelsea flag put up on the Bob Bank terrace stantions near the Canton Stand. Went and had a chat and were told Chelsea would run us ragged next season! They got a good kicking before Canton Stand gate let them in. Next season first Chelsea special train arrived at Ninian Park Halt and attacked Jimmy’s cafe. Fences went in the park across from NP after the game with running battles and reported stabbings in South Wales Echo and fighting in St David’s hospital between fans.

the game where Chelsea pushed the spiked fence into the park over was 1977..first home game against them in years and after taking a big following up there for the away game earlier in the season... Chelsea brought more for the 84 game but i thought there was more trouble in the 77 game..
skidemin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:50 pm

skidemin wrote:
keanoswinklepickers wrote:Violence was worst when Chelsea relegated from Division 1 about 79/80. Before this we had home Internationals Wales v England at Ninian Park. Big Chelsea flag put up on the Bob Bank terrace stantions near the Canton Stand. Went and had a chat and were told Chelsea would run us ragged next season! They got a good kicking before Canton Stand gate let them in. Next season first Chelsea special train arrived at Ninian Park Halt and attacked Jimmy’s cafe. Fences went in the park across from NP after the game with running battles and reported stabbings in South Wales Echo and fighting in St David’s hospital between fans.

the game where Chelsea pushed the spiked fence into the park over was 1977..first home game against them in years and after taking a big following up there for the away game earlier in the season... Chelsea brought more for the 84 game but i thought there was more trouble in the 77 game..

Pretty sure a city fan was stabbed on Sloper rd after the 77 game.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby skidemin » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:58 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

vaguely remember something about that... but no net, no mobiles and 3 TV channels most what you heard was word of mouth... there was trouble all day with pockets of both sets of fans bumping into each other with a few Cardiff on Cardiff scraps thrown in... mad.. and couldnt believe they got that fence down in sloper road....20k in for it too..
skidemin

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:05 pm

skidemin wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

vaguely remember something about that... but no net, no mobiles and 3 TV channels most what you heard was word of mouth... there was trouble all day with pockets of both sets of fans bumping into each other with a few Cardiff on Cardiff scraps thrown in... mad.. and couldnt believe they got that fence down in sloper road....20k in for it too..

Was a crazy day. Stabbing was reported in echo I seem to remember, alongside a pic of a Chelsea fan with blood pouring from his head. I do have a book binder with Ccfc footy reports in and it’s in there somewhere.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby skidemin » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:19 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Was a crazy day. Stabbing was reported in echo I seem to remember, alongside a pic of a Chelsea fan with blood pouring from his head. I do have a book binder with Ccfc footy reports in and it’s in there somewhere.

Annis will be after you for those reports mate....
skidemin

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:23 pm

skidemin wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

:thumbup:
I remember all the crazy ones from the 70s and 80s at NP. Spurs, Everton FA cup 76/77, Chelsea 77, 79, 84, Pompey 84, :thumbup:
bluebirdoct1962

Postby skidemin » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:37 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

I remember all the crazy ones from the 70s and 80s at NP. Spurs, Everton FA cup 76/77, Chelsea 77, 79, 84, Pompey 84, :thumbup:

same here...nobody much came in the 70s mind... more often than not it was Cardiff v the police.. remember quite a few games pre the fence , no away fans but the police would make a point of lining up on the edge of the Grange end stopping you from going on the Bob , even to buy tea or a stale pie... 90 minutes worth of charging to break the police lines broken up only by going through the tunnel onto the bob and buying a tea or having a pee only to go back to the charging... not sure who was the daftest us or OB...
skidemin

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:49 pm

skidemin wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

same here...nobody much came in the 70s mind... more often than not it was Cardiff v the police.. remember quite a few games pre the fence , no away fans but the police would make a point of lining up on the edge of the Grange end stopping you from going on the Bob , even to buy tea or a stale pie... 90 minutes worth of charging to break the police lines broken up only by going through the tunnel onto the bob and buying a tea or having a pee only to go back to the charging... not sure who was the daftest us or OB...

Remember the charge across the Bob v Everton in 77. :shock:
bluebirdoct1962

Postby skidemin » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:56 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Remember the charge across the Bob v Everton in 77. :shock:

id been stood by the Everton fans all game... and when that happened they all looked shocked and as if it wasnt something theyd seen before or half expected... someone said it was 10% behaving badly...it really was a heck of a lot more for the games youve mentioned plus quite a few more..
skidemin

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:30 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

I remember that one. Hickey and co came onto the Bob / grange corner and had a thumping.

I was in the City Centre before the game and Cardiff tore the doors of the hotel opposite the Albert and battered Chelsea in there,Cardiff virtually never got touched that day, Chelsea never brought the amount of lads they brought in 1984.

Yes i remember that well, Hickey came on the Bob Bank with no more than 20 lads, they were either thrown over the walls or jumped. But in the streets there was no where near as many involved as in 1984.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:31 am

skidemin wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

:lol:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Danny Says » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:16 pm

Bluearmy54 wrote:I was there that day hell of a day we was run outside the ground. They didn't take the bob bank and it was never a pen for Chelsea in the last few mins

The ball was hit at David Tong and hit him full whack in the gut. There was a photo of his torso with ball imprint taken afterwards in the press. City robbed.
Millwall at home in 1975 or 76 was worse.
Danny Says

Postby skidemin » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:04 pm

Danny Says wrote:
Bluearmy54 wrote:I was there that day hell of a day we was run outside the ground. They didn't take the bob bank and it was never a pen for Chelsea in the last few mins

The ball was hit at David Tong and hit him full whack in the gut. There was a photo of his torso with ball imprint taken afterwards in the press. City robbed.
Millwall at home in 1975 or 76 was worse.

the game where they wouldnt get on the laid on buses and walked back to the station ?
skidemin

Postby MOZZER1 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:22 pm

found some footage of the game although not the best quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-9-folWUlE
MOZZER1

Previous

Return to General Chat