Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MY VIEW: BOTTOM OF THE LEAGUE SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY EMBARRASS

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:24 pm

MY VIEW / OPINION:

BOTTOM OF THE LEAGUE SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY EMBARRASS & HAMMER CARDIFF CITY TODAY AS CARDIFF CAN NOW VIRTUALLY SAY GOODBYE TO THE PLAY-OFFS :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

CARDIFF TODAY TOOK ON BOTTOM OF THE CHAMPIONSHIP SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY WHO LOOK DOOMED FOR RELEGATION (9pts adrift from safety).

For me we had to beat Wednesday if we had any chance left of making the play-offs.

Jonny Williams had his first start for Cardiff City since he signed in January.

No Sean Morrison or Josh Murphy, hopefully both will be fit for the home game with Blackburn this Saturday.

Ex Cardiff City hero Callum Paterson scored a stunning goal against Cardiff.

ON THE POSITIVE SIDE, BIG MICK SAVED US FROM A RELEGATION FIGHT, TOOK US ON A FANTASTIC RUN OF GAMES / BEAT THE JACKS SENT THEM ON A TERRIBLE RUN & WE CAN CLEAR THE OVER PAID WASTERS OUT THIS SUMMER :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

1st half: What a Poor start from City as Börner headed home from a corner with in minutes & by the 23rd min City were 3 down, shocking defending and it could of been more :cry: :cry:

2nd half: City continued to be embarrassed.

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY 5 CARDIFF CITY 0 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
H-T 3-0

Cardiff City: Phillips; Nelson, Flint, Brown; Sang, Vaulks, Pack, Ralls; Bacuna, Williams; Moore.

Subs: Smithies, Ng, Colwill, Hoilett, Wilson, Ojo, Harris, Watters

After just 4mins 1st half: What a Poor start from City as Börner headed home from a corner. (1-0) :cry:

21mins ex Cardiff City player Paterson with a well taken volley. (2-0) :cry: :cry:

24th min Reach with a free-kick from the edge of the box made it 3nil :cry: :cry:

The inaccuracy of Cardiff's back three was hugely frustrating.

ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING BY CARDIFF v BOTTOM OF THE LEAGUE :cry: :cry:

H-T 3-0 :cry: :cry: :cry:

65th min 4nil, Outstanding again from Bannan to keep his composure and find Paterson, who fed for Rhodes to finish low into the Kop net :cry: :cry:

69th min: Reach scored his second of the match. (5-0) :cry: :cry:

72nd min:

Cardiff City tripple subs

Harry Wilson for Danny Williams

Ojo on for Bacuna

Watters on for Moore

Game was over by now.

NEXT UP CARDIFF CITY AT HOME TO BLACKBURN THIS SATURDAY 3PM :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: MY VIEW: BOTTOM OF THE LEAGUE SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY EMBARR

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:24 pm

:bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:29 pm

Reply Twitter:

As bad a performance as I can remember, almost like that Boro game. No excuses, awful. :(

I'm going to try and be positive.

We created chances. On another day we could have been the ones scoring 5!!

Sheff wed just had one of those days too. Everything they did flew in. Don't even think our keeper could've saved much of them?!

The problems... changes way too late. Wrong team at the start. 6 central midfielders! Wtaf?!

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:32 pm

Well I didnt see that coming. This squad have fluctuated from the sublime to the ridiculous all season. It's too easy to just blame McCarthy for this. The players have to own tonight's disgrace and a season of total inconsistency. Time to clear out this summer and sort the MIDFIELD! Pack, Vauks, Bacuna, Ralls simply night good enough. How we could do with a player like Bannan. Credit Sheff Wed they were superb.

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:32 pm

All started from a dreadful team selection. No width no pace. Were ralls and sang really going to offer us width.sorry mick I put that down to you . 65 mins and no subs. ??

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:34 pm

Nobody can legitimately defend the players or the manager after that.

Absolutely dreadful and totally embrassing.

Nothing left to play for in what's left of the season now.

Nothing else really to say.

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:36 pm

TBH I will be glad when this season is over. We have had to witness some awful performances, go on a record breaking losing streak and then when we look like a miracle was about to happen we blow it in dramatical style. I'm still smarting over the players attitude to us losing to the Jacks at home and even though we prevented the double that feeling of getting rid of some that played then is still there. Hopefully this summer MM will get rid of a few and replace them with his own.

MY THOUGHTS: A 5-0 HAMMERING WHICH ENDS PLAY-OFF HOPES

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:37 pm

SHEFF WED 5-0 CARDIFF: FULL TIME RESULT
EFL CHAMPIONSHIP 2020/21

MY THOUGHTS:
Poor midfielders, lack of leadership in defence due to Sean Morrison being injured and wrong starting line-up. The perfect recipe for a poor performance. We just look flat all over the pitch and it's so dreadful to watch not only because our team has not been the same after the international break but because teams can attack us and we have no response. Play-Offs are gone down the toilet. Absolute garbage.

And with the likes of Reading and Brentford away coming up we can only expect the same scoreline when we face them. Bring on the Summer window when hopefully we can have a major change up in the team. Even Tomlin slated us on twitter our own player.

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:39 pm

The performance laid bare all of our deficiencies and MM got his team selection so so wrong.

I could go on a rant about the attacking players but to be fair when your back 5 and middle 2 can't find another city player with a pass, are out of position, give stupid free kicks away and are so slow and lethargic.. all in the first few minutes and continued throughout the game, then you're in deep trouble..

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:39 pm

DEANO wrote:All started from a dreadful team selection. No width no pace. Were ralls and sang really going to offer us width.sorry mick I put that down to you . 65 mins and no subs. ??

Who else could have played there though? Only Ng was available. The distribution of the back three and midfield was hopeless. Sheff Wed wanted it more. That rests with the players not tactics.

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:44 pm

Good luck to Wednesday and I hope they stay up.

They did everything we should be doing - passing quickly, accurately and not lumping long balls.
Playing out from the back and keeping possession. Stretching us and outplaying us.
Bannon, a proper midfielder. Always been a great player.

McCarthy completely at fault and outplayed as well.

The new manager thing lasted longer than anyone could have dreamed but I’ve said all season that he’s not the manager to take the club forward, he’s stuck in his ways.

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:44 pm

Live on Sky: 7:45pm Friday Mar 05 Huddersfield Town 0 Cardiff City 0 :bluebird:

Sat Mar 13 CARDIFF CITY 1 WATFORD 2 :cry: :cry:

7pm Tues Mar 16 CARDIFF CITY 0 STOKE CITY 0 :bluebird:

Live on Sky 5:30pm Sat Mar 20 Swansea City 0 Cardiff City 1 YES :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Fri Apr 02 CARDIFF CITY 0 NOTTINGHAM FOREST 1 :cry: :cry:

Live on Sky Easter Monday 5pm Apr 05 Sheffield Wednesday 5 Cardiff City 0 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sat Apr 10 CARDIFF CITY v BLACKBURN ROVERS

Friday April 16th SKY Live 6pm Reading v Cardiff City

Tues 6pm SKY Live Apr 20 Brentford v Cardiff City

Sat Apr 24 CARDIFF CITY v WYCOMBE WANDERERS

Sat May 01 Birmingham City v Cardiff City

Sat May 08 CARDIFF CITY v ROTHERHAM UNITED

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:46 pm

What do you expect with a league 2 midfield!!!
Same players getting overrun every game.
Nobody in midfield who can put their foot on the ball let alone pick a pass.
Ralls,pack and bacuna out of their depth.
plays 5 central midfielders and has ojo and wilson on the bench!!!!

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:48 pm

Annis as I’ve said elsewhere Big Mick got most things wrong today but luckily enough he has got most things right since he been here.
Hopefully we will see a reaction and some changes for the next games.Play offs might be out of sight but let’s hope we can finish with a flourish :roll:

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:48 pm

Is it possible someone at the Club will finally realise that we have no decent midfielders of the quality needed to get promotion from this league? Pack, Ralls, Vaulks and Bacuna are our four recognised central midfielders but none have the quality, skill, pace needed (well, Bacuna does have pace to be fair). Yet despite being five nil down to the bottom side we still had a midfield of Pack, Ralls and Vaulks on the pitch at the end. They created nothing. Just hit and hope passes. I despair. Time for a clear out but with no more parachute payments it looks like we'll have to develop the youngsters pretty quickly.

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:49 pm

EastleighBlue wrote:
DEANO wrote:All started from a dreadful team selection. No width no pace. Were ralls and sang really going to offer us width.sorry mick I put that down to you . 65 mins and no subs. ??

Who else could have played there though? Only Ng was available. The distribution of the back three and midfield was hopeless. Sheff Wed wanted it more. That rests with the players not tactics.

Wilson, Murphy , NG, Hoilett are better footballers than Rolls, Williams, Bacuna. Moore has been poor and we needed a change. The selection was out of form players and players in wrong positions . Did not change it till way too late. Blame rests mostly with the manager

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:51 pm

I said it before and I’ll say it again the decision to give him a 2 year contract was knee jerk and without foresight.

It’ll get worse as most of our remaining games are against teams fighting for survival or gunning for promotion.

Lambs to the slaughter.

‘Micks Trojans’ ha ha more like Micks Pushovers’

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:53 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:TBH I will be glad when this season is over. We have had to witness some awful performances, go on a record breaking losing streak and then when we look like a miracle was about to happen we blow it in dramatical style. I'm still smarting over the players attitude to us losing to the Jacks at home and even though we prevented the double that feeling of getting rid of some that played then is still there. Hopefully this summer MM will get rid of a few and replace them with his own.

This pretty much sums it all up, it’s been a strange season.

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:58 pm

Listened to the game of the radio Ieaun Roberts spent the 90 minutes telling us what we already know. Cardiff have no pace the midfield one dimensional. How many times does MM need to see us play the realise you can’t play Ralls and Vaulks together throw in Pack and Baccuna. Personally there is not one central midfielder in the club I would worry about losing in the summer we need a good clear out and bring in some pace and creativity.

Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:01 pm

We can not pass for shit. Its so frustrating to watch. How anyone can be happy to watch a team who's main source of creativity is a long throw is beyond me. That's 6 games now we've been poor. I dont expect us to play it out from the back like Man City but the core of the team can not string a few passes together without hoofing it upfield.

Mick got this wrong tonight, big time. Bottom of the league, lost 8 in 10 and we got absolutely schooled. A game we needed to win and we had 5 CM playing who posses zero creativity.

Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:01 pm

Danny Says wrote:I said it before and I’ll say it again the decision to give him a 2 year contract was knee jerk and without foresight.

It’ll get worse as most of our remaining games are against teams fighting for survival or gunning for promotion.

Lambs to the slaughter.

And when we battled out a one nil one against the Jack's two games ago you were calling them push overs? Yes changes could have come earlier tonight but blame the players not McCarthy.

Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:04 pm

Awful performance against bottom team what else is there to be said other than mick got it wrong? :old:

Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:09 pm

EastleighBlue wrote:
Danny Says wrote:I said it before and I’ll say it again the decision to give him a 2 year contract was knee jerk and without foresight.

Lambs to the slaughter.

And when we battled out a one nil one against the Jack's two games ago you were calling them push overs? Yes changes could have come earlier tonight but blame the players not McCarthy.

Selection was wrong before kickoff and mick did nothing to change it until we were 5-0 down. This one is on him.

Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:12 pm

It was poor today but we were set up poorly.

I know Ralls has detractors on here but when he moved inside he was a lot a better. I am not saying that was the answer but there was no need to play 3 centre halfs and 2 wing backs when you only have 3 fit centre halfs and one was playing for Livingston a few months ago and we don't have any wing backs.....it mental !!

Could have played a very flat back 4 and loaded the middle where we have umpteen CM's and ACM's.

I would never start Pack, but never ever in a 2 man midfield, he can't cover the ground. Vaulks always looks crap next to him.

I guess Junior is off at the end of the season so i get there is no point playing him. I also wouldn't play Ojo or Williams on the same premise.

We need to see if Harris is up to a championship season and what is his position, same as Colwell (or do we loan him to L1)

It will be a big and interesting closed season for us.

Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:13 pm

If there is no reaction on Saturday , then we may as well play the U23's . we're safe from relegation so build for the future , get rid of at least 6/7 players and get some midfielders who can actually play ! Bannan was head and shoulders above our players . Even CP looked world class against our lot
:(

Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:20 pm

For all of Wednesday's dominance, Cardiff were so accommodating. They just lay there and took it.

Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:22 pm

Truly awful performance that showed our lack of real ball control in the middle of the pitch. Just glad we picked up so many points when Mick arrived or I would be really worried now.

Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:26 pm

Llantwit Blue wrote:Listened to the game of the radio Ieaun Roberts spent the 90 minutes telling us what we already know. Cardiff have no pace the midfield one dimensional. How many times does MM need to see us play the realise you can’t play Ralls and Vaulks together throw in Pack and Baccuna. Personally there is not one central midfielder in the club I would worry about losing in the summer we need a good clear out and bring in some pace and creativity.

Totally agree :thumbup: