Mick McCarthy

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Mick McCarthy

Postby theclaw » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:35 pm

Two games,two poor performances,two defeats and for me the manager got it all very wrong today.Yes the players are to blame but the buck stops with the manager.
This was only his third defeat so he has done a lot more than ‘new manager bounce’ so let’s not call for his head but by no means is he escaping any criticism.

PS
He’ll earn his money the next couple of games.
theclaw

Mick McCarthy

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Mick McCarthy

Postby Escott1927 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:50 pm

theclaw wrote:Two games,two poor performances,two defeats and for me the manager got it all very wrong today.Yes the players are to blame but the buck stops with the manager.
This was only his third defeat so he has done a lot more than ‘new manager bounce’ so let’s not call for his head but by no means is he escaping any criticism.

PS

If Harris was the manager tonight, people would be losing their shit now. Shocking team selection, dire football, no subs and against a team that have lost 8 of their last 10 and were bottom of the league.

The last 6 games now have been painful to watch. They are the type of performances that people were concerned about when mick was appointed. At a time we should be going for a win, our most creative players are on the bench.
Escott1927

Postby maccydee » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:54 pm

Not picking Wilson and Murphy has to be questioned.

Watters showed enough in 20 minutes (and for the under 23s) that he should be used to give Moore a break.

Sadly we missed Ng when he got injured, we miss Bennett and we absolutely miss Morrison at the back.

Moore is showing why he isn’t a 15 million striker (which unbelievably some said) and he is shattered.

The performances until the end of the season are really important for momentum for next season.
maccydee

Postby mugsy » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:13 pm

Complete shambles - without Morrison we had no leader and organiser on the pitch. So many were poor - but when it comes to Bacuna what the hell does he see in that pillock. He clearly spends more time at the hairdressers than he does on the training pitch - he would be the first clown I would get out of the club.
mugsy

Postby HarriRhys22 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:15 pm

We should have stuck to have reviewing Mick and TC contracts at the end of the season, terrible results since we added million pounds on their pensions! I hope I’m wrong but like most of our previous Managers I think we’ll be paying them off when we’re not in the top 6 at Christmas!
HarriRhys22

Postby Carpman » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:17 pm

Not one of those players on the pitch can be happy with their level of performance and most of them should hang their heads in shame !! Couldn’t put simple passes together and kept lumping it in the air in gale force winds, Wednesday had it right the only way to play was passes to feet something our boys find so difficult ?? Really angry and disappointed
Carpman

Postby billy ronson » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:20 pm

We lost both left backs , our new right back who has been excellent since joining with our other 1st choice right back being out for months , now Morrison from the team that did so well upto Bournemouth game.
However, today’s line up looked too one paced with no spark and Moore looks shattered.
I'm free to be
Whatever I, whatever I choose
And I'll sing the blues if I want
billy ronson

Postby Grandstand » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:20 pm

Have to agree with all comments. Wanted to see how we finished before giving a new contract. We had very few on international duty , but the 2 performances show sod all was done on the training pitch.
Grandstand

Postby theclaw » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:21 pm

Escott1927 wrote:
theclaw wrote:Two games,two poor performances,two defeats and for me the manager got it all very wrong today.Yes the players are to blame but the buck stops with the manager.

PS

If Harris was the manager tonight, people would be losing their shit now. Shocking team selection, dire football, no subs and against a team that have lost 8 of their last 10 and were bottom of the league.

The last 6 games now have been painful to watch. They are the type of performances that people were concerned about when mick was appointed. At a time we should be going for a win, our most creative players are on the bench.

Agree
If Pep was in charge tonite he would/should have been slated.Mick got it wrong but he has also got a lot of things right since he came in.
Let’s see how he responds.
theclaw

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:24 pm

maccydee wrote:Not picking Wilson and Murphy has to be questioned.

Watters showed enough in 20 minutes (and for the under 23s) that he should be used to give Moore a break.

Sadly we missed Ng when he got injured, we miss Bennett and we absolutely miss Morrison at the back.

Moore is showing why he isn’t a 15 million striker (which unbelievably some said) and he is shattered.

The performances until the end of the season are really important for momentum for next season.

Agree with all that.

Team v Blackburn

Phillips

Sang. Morrison. Flint. Nelson. NG

Pack. Vaulks

Wilson. Watters. Murphy.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby EastleighBlue » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:24 pm

This thread should be renamed knee jerk nonsense. Where was all this anti McCarthy criticism when we beat the Jack's in their back yard two weeks ago? He got us safe and we have dabbled with the play off chase but this squad is fundamentally all wrong. It was never good enough for promotion regardless of the manager. The midfield lacks any quality, we are paying stupid money on Tomlin and Vassell (poor signings is an understatement) and Moore has no back up. How is any of this to do with McCarthy? McCarthy has also played youngsters like Sang, Colwell and Brown suggesting we have a brighter a future. Tonight just give credit to Sheff Wed who were brilliant and blame the players out there not McCarthy.
EastleighBlue

Postby castleblue » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:34 pm

MM has done wonders with this squad and to get anywhere near the playoffs from where we were after 23 games has been amazing. But the reality is we have a small squad and injuries have taken their toll so it's not to be this season and I hope he gives youth a chance and get planning for next year.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf:
castleblue

Postby Escott1927 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:45 pm

EastleighBlue wrote:This thread should be renamed knee jerk nonsense. Where was all this anti McCarthy criticism when we beat the Jack's in their back yard two weeks ago? He got us safe and we have dabbled with the play off chase but this squad is fundamentally all wrong. It was never good enough for promotion regardless of the manager. The midfield lacks any quality, we are paying stupid money on Tomlin and Vassell (poor signings is an understatement) and Moore has no back up. How is any of this to do with McCarthy? McCarthy has also played youngsters like Sang, Colwell and Brown suggesting we have a brighter a future. Tonight just give credit to Sheff Wed who were brilliant and blame the players out there not McCarthy.

This isn't just a one off bad performance though. We havnt played well since Derby - and even that was against a team resting key players. The swansea game was painful to watch. 9 times out of 10 we don't win that game and would usually be lucky to even come away with a draw. Mick got it wrong tonight and did nothing to change it. We made Wednesday look like world beaters.

Would mick be playing any of these youngsters if it wasn't for injury though? I'm not to sure.
Escott1927

Postby skidemin » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:49 pm

EastleighBlue wrote:This thread should be renamed knee jerk nonsense. Where was all this anti McCarthy criticism when we beat the Jack's in their back yard two weeks ago? He got us safe and we have dabbled with the play off chase but this squad is fundamentally all wrong. It was never good enough for promotion regardless of the manager. The midfield lacks any quality, we are paying stupid money on Tomlin and Vassell (poor signings is an understatement) and Moore has no back up. How is any of this to do with McCarthy? McCarthy has also played youngsters like Sang, Colwell and Brown suggesting we have a brighter a future. Tonight just give credit to Sheff Wed who were brilliant and blame the players out there not McCarthy.

i like Mick and believe he will do ok here.... but today is 100% on him... he came up with a system that suited our better players...a bunch of them get injured and he keeps the system doing exactly what he said he would not do...square pegs and round holes..
skidemin

Postby llan bluebird » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:57 pm

skidemin wrote:

i like Mick and believe he will do ok here.... but today is 100% on him... he came up with a system that suited our better players...a bunch of them get injured and he keeps the system doing exactly what he said he would not do...square pegs and round holes..

spot on....
llan bluebird

Postby EastleighBlue » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:57 pm

skidemin wrote:

100% on him? At what point do players ever take responsibility then? Injuries were indeed a factor tonight in selection. But so was the quality of performance by individual players. Players making countless aimless passes and being second to the ball is not tactical that's just poor play and effort. If I have one criticism of McCarthy tonight it was leaving his subs so late. Personally I would have hooked a few at half time.
EastleighBlue

Postby skidemin » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:50 pm

EastleighBlue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

100% on him? At what point do players ever take responsibility then? Injuries were indeed a factor tonight in selection. But so was the quality of performance by individual players. Players making countless aimless passes and being second to the ball is not tactical that's just poor play and effort. If I have one criticism of McCarthy tonight it was leaving his subs so late. Personally I would have hooked a few at half time.

when they get to pick the team and formation.... lets be honest the only player at our club who would pick jonny to start is jonny himself.... 2 center midfielders as wing backs ? because it used to look good when we had 2 defenders who actually knew how to play it 3 weeks ago.... and he had a gypsys warning on that with Ralls sucked out of position for Forests goal...
as said Mick very quickly came up with a system where most of our players attributes were being used to maximum effect... change of personel change of system...if it was as simple as pick a system and any 11 no matter who just fit in we wouldnt need a manager.... and ..he changed the system at half time. he did , not the players...
skidemin

Postby nubbsy » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:18 am

Spot on. I also would rather see Ojo or Hoilet play instead of Bacuna 10/10.

Mick has shown he's not willing to adapt, and is stuck in his ways. Not just now but as said above for the last 5 or 6 games. He was a decent appointment to steady the ship but unfortunately, we'll be treading water with his industrious, boring an defensive football until he leaves and we'll be back to square one saying the same shit.
nubbsy

Postby cardiff 74 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:43 am

nubbsy wrote:

Mick has shown he's not willing to adapt, and is stuck in his ways. Not just now but as said above for the last 5 or 6 games. He was a decent appointment to steady the ship but unfortunately, we'll be treading water with his industrious, boring an defensive football until he leaves and we'll be back to square one saying the same shit.
totally agree nubbsey not the manger I wanted but we are stuck with it
cardiff 74

Postby Logie » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:14 am

MM has to take alot of blame, team he picked, how was KM going to get any service?

But in MM defence its not his team is it, but i do want to see KM rested and give Watters a try, also we have some youngester performing well get them playing.
Logie

Postby skidemin » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:02 pm

cardiff 74 wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

so who did you want
skidemin

Postby maccydee » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:59 pm

skidemin wrote:
cardiff 74 wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

so who did you want

Never gets answered.

It’s like Ojo suddenly class when he hasn’t done anything for ages.
maccydee

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:14 pm

maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:
cardiff 74 wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

so who did you want

Never gets answered.

That can be said for Murphy too tho can’t it?
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Bluebina » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:34 pm

skidemin wrote:
cardiff 74 wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

so who did you want

NG, Murphy and Wilson should have started if fit, the defence was a shambles mind NG would have added something but without Morrison we looked terrible again in defence, we have become so reliant on him at one end and a fit not overtired Kiefer up the other end, yesterday we didn't have either!

Bennett was criticised by some fans, you only have to look at our dip since his injury to see he was very important to us as was NG on the right.
Bluebina

Postby maccydee » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:49 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:
cardiff 74 wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

so who did you want

Never gets answered.

You know that I rate Murphy a lot. He did more in 15 mins against Forest than the rest did rest of the game.
maccydee

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:58 pm

nubbsy wrote:

I agree also.
He done really well for longer than anyone expected but he’s not the manager to move the club on and take it forward.
Will be interesting next year but I suspect it’ll be more of the staid, defensive long ball stuff.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby Grandstand » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:31 pm

Should have waited till the end of the season, with £1million if we got the playoffs, £2 million if we were in the final and £5 million if we got promoted. MM would then had been more upset by last nights performance!
Grandstand

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:22 pm

maccydee wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:
cardiff 74 wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

so who did you want

Never gets answered.

You know that I rate Murphy a lot. He did more in 15 mins against Forest than the rest did rest of the game.

I know you do mate. You have to admit though that prior to MM he was very much a 1 in 3-4 games player.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Sneggyblubird » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:26 pm

Should be given the same chance as Warnock,done a similar job in his first season(better actually given the time).I'm well prepared to see what the summer brings.He's paying the price for his blistering start.Time to move a few on methinks.
Sneggyblubird

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:14 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:Should be given the same chance as Warnock,done a similar job in his first season(better actually given the time).I'm well prepared to see what the summer brings.He's paying the price for his blistering start.Time to move a few on methinks.

Couldn’t agree more mate.
bluebirdoct1962

Next

Return to General Chat