“Looking to next season”

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“Looking to next season”

Postby davids » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:26 pm

Although mathematically it's still not impossible to reach the play offs I think most of us would accept that next season we'll still be playing in the Championship.

Graet credit to Mick and it's easy to forget that when he came in we were beginning to look like we could get sucked into a relegation fight but we'll probably end the season between about 8th and 12th which considering the injuries we've had to crucial players at crucial times is probably about right.

So what about next season? For me, this is where Mick is really going to have a job on his hands. If the aim next season is a genuine attempt to get to the top six then there will have to be a number of changes.

Wilson and Ojo will go back (Wilson out of our league financially and Ojo not done quite enough for me unless we can get him for £1m or so). Doesn't look like we'll see the Arsenal boy again.

For me the following have shown that whilst solid enough Championship players in the main they a) are no longer good enough b)never have been good enough or c) never will be good enough to be part of a team challenging for promotion

Bacuna
Pack
Ralls
Vaulks
Murphy
Williams
Glatzel
Whyte
Watters
Hoilett (Mick obviously does not rate him)
Tomlin (unable or unwilling to put in the necessary work needed)

The jury is out on some of the youngsters but I'd certainly like to see us persevere with Brown, Sand and Begen and see how they develop.

Few if any of those players have any resale value unfortunately and some are reportedly on wages which will make it very difficult to move them on but in my opinion all of the above need to be replaced if we are to to be seriously looking to threaten the top six next season.

Of course with the lack of parachute monies next season it may well be that the main aim next season is survival in which case I would imagine that the only real movement outwards would be those at the end of their contracts or the few players with a resale value (Moore, Morrison, Ng, the two keepers) who may have to be sacrificed to raise some funds.
davids

“Looking to next season”

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Looking to next season

Postby llan bluebird » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:44 pm

I think if Mick perseveres with the system then Whyte may be worth keeping as he may be a wingback.

I think we'll need to sell either Ralls or Vaulks just to create a space and they will be salable

Bacuna has a longer contract than Celine Dion so i doubt many will be in for him and what is he ?
Pack we'll need to speak to his agent and solicitor because the only way he leaves early is with a pay off.

The elephant in the room is Glatzel, i hope he is doing well Back in Germany but i think the championship is a little quick for him so we take a huge loss or we learn to play into space rather than hack it roughly in the strikers direction.

No idea why we thought Williams would fit. Almost a season in and i can't see what Ojo is and what level (442 left midfielder best guess) and Wilson is well out of our league. Junior looks like he is off.

Sorry the elephant ;) in the room is Tomlin and no idea what we do there.
llan bluebird

Re: “Looking to next season”

Postby llan bluebird » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:09 pm

Sorry typo - Saleable = sellable

I think we'll need to sell either Ralls or Vaulks just to create a space and they will be sellable
llan bluebird

Postby Escott1927 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:24 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Sorry typo - Saleable = sellable

I think we'll need to sell either Ralls or Vaulks just to create a space and they will be sellable

I think the sale of smithies and glatzel could raise funds to bring in a few players. Id give colwill a run in the team now. He could save us millions next season! I'd be happy to lose 2 of our 4 CMs. None are quick or creative enough and need to be replaced by players who can pass the ball better.

In response to the OP, I've been saying the same thing since warnock left. We need to move away from lumping everything long. Our CBs aimlessly lump everything long and our CMs can't pass or create anything. A long throw shouldn't our main source of attack. We need 1 or 2 CBs, at least 2 CM and suitable backup to Moore. Even if we had the money to spend im not too optimistic mick will take us away from the football we've seen over the last 6 games .
Escott1927

Postby Aberbeeg Blues » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:05 pm

I’d be happy if Bacuna never pulled on a City shirt again.
Aberbeeg Blues

Postby mugsy » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:45 am

Aberbeeg Blues wrote:I’d be happy if Bacuna never pulled on a City shirt again.

Spot on - I am amazed he gets so much game time. Needs to be dropped immediately. Useless when the chips are down.
mugsy

Postby 103 Barmy Army » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:51 am

mugsy wrote:

Spot on - I am amazed he gets so much game time. Needs to be dropped immediately. Useless when the chips are down.

He should have played yesterday :lol:

Prior to being used as a full back, I rated him as a midfielder and enjoyed watching his surging runs forward. Despite the occasional decent performance at RB, he blatantly struggled in the role and was never going to be a long term option there at second tier standard. However, since he’s been employed as a central midfielder again, it’s as if he’s forgotten how to play that role as well, and aside from one great performance, he’s blatantly not someone who can play off the striker.
103 Barmy Army

Postby nubbsy » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:13 am

103 Barmy Army wrote:
mugsy wrote:

He should have played yesterday :lol:

Prior to being used as a full back, I rated him as a midfielder and enjoyed watching his surging runs forward. Despite the occasional decent performance at RB, he blatantly struggled in the role and was never going to be a long term option there at second tier standard. However, since he’s been employed as a central midfielder again, it’s as if he’s forgotten how to play that role as well, and aside from one great performance, he’s blatantly not someone who can play off the striker.

It was worrying when MM quoted him as being a decent attacking CM when he first took over.
nubbsy

Postby Robbiebluebird » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:25 am

bit harsh to put waters on that list. still young and not seem much of him yet.
Robbiebluebird

Postby Crayfish » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:01 am

Robbiebluebird wrote:bit harsh to put waters on that list. still young and not seem much of him yet.

Agreed you can't judge Watters on what we have seen so far. Last night he came on for 20 minutes when we were 5-0 down we need to see him play for 90 minutes a few times. Let's face it we are not going to be able to afford to buy a decent striker so we need to give Watters every chance rather the flogging the dead horse. Let's face it if you judged Moore on his last five games you might think he is worse then Glatzel. My fear is McCarthy is too stubborn and cautious to give him a chance and will continue with the likes of Williams and running Moore into the ground.
Crayfish

Return to General Chat