Mick McCarthy

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Mick McCarthy

Postby skidemin » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:12 pm

Grandstand wrote:Should have waited till the end of the season, with £1million if we got the playoffs, £2 million if we were in the final and £5 million if we got promoted. MM would then had been more upset by last nights performance!

1 million to get to the play offs.???????????.... or 1 million to make sure we dont go down... we were in free fall and bottom of the table on current form ffs... and its only that we remarkably won 6 on the bounce that play offs became a slim chance...
skidemin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:39 pm

skidemin wrote:
Grandstand wrote:Should have waited till the end of the season, with £1million if we got the playoffs, £2 million if we were in the final and £5 million if we got promoted. MM would then had been more upset by last nights performance!

1 million to get to the play offs.???????????.... or 1 million to make sure we dont go down... we were in free fall and bottom of the table on current form ffs... and its only that we remarkably won 6 on the bounce that play offs became a slim chance...

Couldn’t have put it better myself
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Grandstand » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:48 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Were we in the relegation zone, when the contract was offered? No. We have a history of looking back but not forward. Prime example was Neil Warnock the right man when we got to the premiership, no his record proved to that. If you don’t keep amending your goals you go backwards.
Grandstand

Postby skidemin » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:21 pm

Grandstand wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Were we in the relegation zone, when the contract was offered? No. We have a history of looking back but not forward. Prime example was Neil Warnock the right man when we got to the premiership, no his record proved to that. If you don’t keep amending your goals you go backwards.

no we were not but we were on a run of 6 defeats and getting closer to the bottom game by game.... the play offs were not impossible but extremely unlikely ... realistically to reach the play offs we needed to go from zero points in 6 games to 47 points from 22 games at the flick of a switch...2.13 points a game... only Man City and Norwich have been in that form out of the 92 league clubs... as for your prime example...very much like the insane expectancy of the 1mill for play offs... clubs going up tend to struggle... more so if the budget is small...
skidemin

Postby Grandstand » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:44 pm

You are still looking back, it was not impossible when we offered the new contract for us to be in the playoffs. Most commentators and ex players thought we would but I suppose you know best. Yes clubs struggle when they go up, but you try to get the odds in your favour. Southampton are a clear example sacking their manager after a few games in the premiership as they knew he would not keep them up. You don’t offer a new contract for a slap on back, you try to move forward. Chelsea are another club where the Chairman does not accept you were great last season but accept poor form now( before you respond yes I know they spend millions)
Grandstand

Postby skidemin » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:03 pm

Grandstand wrote:You are still looking back, it was not impossible when we offered the new contract for us to be in the playoffs. Most commentators and ex players thought we would but I suppose you know best. Yes clubs struggle when they go up, but you try to get the odds in your favour. Southampton are a clear example sacking their manager after a few games in the premiership as they knew he would not keep them up. You don’t offer a new contract for a slap on back, you try to move forward. Chelsea are another club where the Chairman does not accept you were great last season but accept poor form now( before you respond yes I know they spend millions)

Southampton were an established premier league team who had spent 60 million strengthening in the transfer market and taken Ings on loan... we were a promoted championship team { who nobody thought would go up } who had bought 4 championship players and were favourites to finish bottom the expectations were miles apart....
as for all these commentators that thought we would make the play offs from 29 points and 22 games left..how about a few examples of managers who achieved that...
skidemin

Postby Grandstand » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:17 pm

With Southampton I was talking about Nigel Adkins, long time before the £60m. The commenters/ ex players where on sky sport before the Owls game saying they expected us to be in the playoffs. You seem to want to go back to when MM joined the club and not when he was offered a new contract. Maybe I am not clear, but this is my last point on the matter as I am sure the members are getting bored.
Grandstand

Postby skidemin » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:44 pm

Grandstand wrote:With Southampton I was talking about Nigel Adkins, long time before the £60m. The commenters/ ex players where on sky sport before the Owls game saying they expected us to be in the playoffs. You seem to want to go back to when MM joined the club and not when he was offered a new contract. Maybe I am not clear, but this is my last point on the matter as I am sure the members are getting bored.

i assumed you 1mill for play offs..2 mill for final etc meant when he took over...
Adkins sacking was similar to Hughes... 15th in the league and expected to be doing better... they finished 14th...
skidemin

Previous

Return to General Chat