‘ CARDIFF CITY CONSIDERING MOVE FOR STRIKER ‘

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:30 pm

[b]Mick McCarthy's Cardiff City are eyeing £1.5m Dion Charles transfer from Accrington after impressive goal-scoring season[/b]
[i][size=85]By Tom Barclay[/size][/i]

Wednesday 7th April 2021

CARDIFF are one of a number of Championship clubs weighing up a summer bid for Accrington hotshot Dion Charles.

Preston-born Charles, 25, has turned around his career at Stanley after the League One side plucked him from League One Southport two years ago.

Cardiff City in January signed Max Watters from Crawley Town and are looking to bring in more players from the lower leagues this summer.

Dion Charles was recently called up by Northern Ireland

The striker has been on fire this term, hitting 16 league goals in League 1 which led to him making his international debut for Northern Ireland in a friendly against the USA last month.

His impressive form has also grabbed the attention of several clubs in the league above, including Mick McCarthy’s Bluebirds.

Huddersfield and Derby are also understood to be monitoring the £1.5million-rated forward’s progress.

Charles started his career at Blackpool but after failing to push his way into the first team left for non-league AFC Fylde and then Fleetwood Town, before joining Southport in 2018.

His debut for Northern Ireland ended in a 2-1 defeat to the USA.

Charles came on in the 60th minute - just after Christian Pulisic had put the USA 2-0 ahead from the penalty spot.

But Northern Ireland did hit back late on through Niall McGinn but it wasn't enough.

Charles' 16 goals this term have come in 32 League One appearances.

The left-footer has also picked up two assists playing in the central striker role
Attachments
C3CEF735-155C-45EE-96C6-F324F8ABE9F0.jpeg
C3CEF735-155C-45EE-96C6-F324F8ABE9F0.jpeg (76.14 KiB) Viewed 9446 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: CITY CONSIDERING MOVE FOR STANLEY STRIKER

Postby Bluebina » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:07 pm

Is he six foot five and very good playing with his back to goal and running the channels?
Bluebina

Re: CITY CONSIDERING MOVE FOR STANLEY STRIKER

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:20 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Is he six foot five and very good playing with his back to goal and running the channels?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fy9jaJJPXfs

Get what you’re trying to say but Not from looking at this
bluebirdoct1962

Re: ‘ CARDIFF CITY CONSIDERING MOVE FOR STRIKER ‘

Postby skidemin » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:44 pm

be quite surprised if we are spending much this summer unless we get a few substantial fees for players here now...
skidemin

Postby Barclay1 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:23 pm

The way the club seem to operate at the moment, if he is the target, then Moore is already out the door.

We need to mix talented youngsters with seasoned professionals. We all know though that next season will mean ZERO investment, will just be youngsters, and a 'fingers crossed' committee decided, basement league guess.
1st Game 24th Nov 1973 City v Bolton 1-0 (Gil Reece)
Barclay1

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:02 pm

Barclay1 wrote:The way the club seem to operate at the moment, if he is the target, then Moore is already out the door.

We need to mix talented youngsters with seasoned professionals. We all know though that next season will mean ZERO investment, will just be youngsters, and a 'fingers crossed' committee decided, basement league guess.

You’ve assumed quite a bit in that post tbf mate
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Sam ReaN » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:20 pm

Personally i would go for either Tom Bradshaw or Colin Chaplin. Both got huge potential and are quick thinking which is always important for strikers. And both in this league so can adapt to the championship well. Sell Vassell, Whyte And Watters.
Also On The Sam ReaN YouTube Channel
Cardiff City Highlights On Bits From The Action
The ReaN Show Series 1-6
CardiffFanTV / On Facebook & YouTube
Vlogging Adventures
Video Games
SUBSCRIBE IN 2024
Sam ReaN

Postby Barclay1 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:28 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:The way the club seem to operate at the moment, if he is the target, then Moore is already out the door.

Maybe, and I hope that I'm wrong, but I'd be more surprised if it didn't happen than if it did.
Barclay1

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:49 pm

Barclay1 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Maybe, and I hope that I'm wrong, but I'd be more surprised if it didn't happen than if it did.

I don’t think we’ll sell Moore as his goals have dried a little in the league so I’m thinking if offers did come in they’d be around £3.5-4m and I don’t think we’d sell for that.
Think you may well be right on the lack of funds but I’d be happy to shift some dead wood and replace the wages with new players tbh. As you say, hopefully we’ll blood a few youngsters over next few weeks and there’ll be a few ready for the squad next year....plus, maybe Lee Tomlin will be back, fit and raring to go. :thumbup:
bluebirdoct1962

Postby skidemin » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:36 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

I don’t think we’ll sell Moore as his goals have dried a little in the league so I’m thinking if offers did come in they’d be around £3.5-4m and I don’t think we’d sell for that.
Think you may well be right on the lack of funds but I’d be happy to shift some dead wood and replace the wages with new players tbh. As you say, hopefully we’ll blood a few youngsters over next few weeks and there’ll be a few ready for the squad next year....plus, maybe Lee Tomlin will be back, fit and raring to go. :thumbup:

dont see we have dead wood ... the only players not in the match day squad are injured... Hoilett is a bit of a mystery . everyone else is being used...
skidemin

Postby AfricanBluebird » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:36 am

If indeed there is any truth in this, and I doubt there is because I can't see us spending money on transfer fees this summer, there is no way he is a back-up for Moore. Totally different player.

If we do go for him it either indicates that he will play in a front 3 not as a number 9, as he actually not an out and out striker, or MM is looking to change the way we play.
AfricanBluebird

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:09 am

skidemin wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

dont see we have dead wood ... the only players not in the match day squad are injured... Hoilett is a bit of a mystery . everyone else is being used...

I’d consider the following as dead wood if we’re moving forward - Hoillett, Ralls, Brown, Whyte, Harris, Glatzel
Id get in a striker, left sided centre back, midfield general and possibly a speedy wide player.
Possibly sell Smithies too, purely as he’s reputedly on huge wages, and get a cheap upcoming keeper to replace.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Escott1927 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:32 am

So is there going to be zero investment or are we willing to spend 1.5mill on a player?
Escott1927

Postby Barclay1 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:45 am

I understand your point, and fair comment, I can't say one without the other.

I'm saying that I believe there will be no new investment. If we sell, a tiny portion will be made available for new signings. If that's the situation, I can see nothing other than a bargain basement committee guess.

We won't have anywhere near enough money for talented youngsters, lower league hopefuls and seasoned campaigners.

This season we missed out a little on quality but a hell of a lot on quantity, and if this season is anything to go by next season will be the same. Our youngsters may be e come on in terms of ability, but only a select few are close to ready to the rigours of tough week in/week out Championhip football against some very very good teams and players.
Barclay1

Postby bluesince62 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:38 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

I’d consider the following as dead wood if we’re moving forward - Hoillett, Ralls, Brown, Whyte, Harris, Glatzel
Id get in a striker, left sided centre back, midfield general and possibly a speedy wide player.
Possibly sell Smithies too, purely as he’s reputedly on huge wages, and get a cheap upcoming keeper to replace.

Agree with all bar glatzel,especially if we are to adopt a different style of play next year 62r! I still think he'd be decent,in a ball on the floor pass and move team.in truth I think MM has already made gis mind up on him, but failing to replace him, has bitten us hard imho, especially looking at how donald ducked moore has looked of late.
MM said he'd have no worries playing the youngsters instead, yet hasn't really, as injuries have sort of forced his hand.Im hoping he gives a few their head, once the play offs are out of reach.
Annis is of the opinion we are pkaying them to early,whereas I'm of the opinion of "if they are good enough, then they are old enough" school.plenty of under 23 players playing regular 1st team football in the championship,why not give them a go?
bluesince62

Return to General Chat