Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Claims to fame.... What's yours.

Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:43 pm

Was stopped by a green Mercedes in the back streets of Cathays in the early eighties. Window came down and there was Lulu in the driving seat asking me for directions to some street I didn’t know. Sent her on a wild goose chase anyway. She wasn’t on tv for a few years after. Reckon it was my fault. :laughing6:

Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:03 pm

Had a beer with Lennox Lewis at Doctor's Cave Beach, Montego Bay (1993) :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5:

Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:21 pm

I was the last RAF air traffic controller to speak to a VC10.

Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:36 pm

maccydee wrote:I was the last RAF air traffic controller to speak to a VC10.

Did it answer back...? :?

I'm told you also converse in fluid Vulcan...? :laughing6:

Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:55 pm

Sven wrote:

It did. It was our station commander flying it. We had messages from the head of BA and Virgin to pass on.

Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:14 pm

maccydee wrote:
Sven wrote:

It did. It was our station commander flying it. We had messages from the head of BA and Virgin to pass on.

:thumbup: :D

Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:35 am

Sven wrote:Apart from nukes famous 'sleep-in', I'm still not seeing anything that comes anywhere close to a real 'claim to fame'; just a few personal moments that are important to the posters themselves

Still none dafter than to OP's though... :oops:

I’m not having meeting the nephew of Bungle from Rainbow isn’t a claim to fame. ;)

What were you expecting on a Cardiff City message board, a former Prime Minister or gold medal winning Olympian? :lol:

Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:35 pm

I got to share hands with Nelson Mandela - it was 1999 I think and it was outside what was then the Thistle in Park Place. It’s a pretty good one for those ‘who is the most famous person you met’ conversations.

Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:55 am

While I was under 17 coach at our village team in mid Wales, the first team got to a cup final which was played at ninian park. I went along. On the famous turf warming up, I looked around the stadium where I had seen so many great games, picked up the ball and put it on the penalty spot in front of the Grange end. The keeper took his position (good keeper too) and I focused. In my rubbish Sunday league career I had taken a few penalties but never scored one. This time I sent him the wrong way and the ball flew into the top right hand corner of the net. IN FRONT OF THE GRANGE END!!

Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:10 am

Blue78 wrote:I got to share hands with Nelson Mandela - it was 1999 I think and it was outside what was then the Thistle in Park Place. It’s a pretty good one for those ‘who is the most famous person you met’ conversations.

Share hands?

I’m now thinking of a white man sat there with black hands typing away on the phone writing that.

Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:06 am

maccydee wrote:
Blue78 wrote:I got to share hands with Nelson Mandela - it was 1999 I think and it was outside what was then the Thistle in Park Place. It’s a pretty good one for those ‘who is the most famous person you met’ conversations.

Share hands?

I’m now thinking of a white man sat there with black hands typing away on the phone writing that.

I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure he meant ‘shake’ hands rather than share but like I say I could be wrong, only Blue78 can shed light on that.

Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:16 am

maccydee wrote:

Share hands?

Ha Ha! I can confirm that it was not some kind of hand swap, just my complete inability to type the word shake!

Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:33 am

Blue78 wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Share hands?

Ha Ha! I can confirm that it was not some kind of hand swap, just my complete inability to type the word shake!

Difficult to type using someone else’s hands.

I’ve never shaken hands with a terrorist. What was that like?

(Deliberately controversial)

Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:25 pm

If I could meet the guy who met the nephew of Bungle, that’d be enough..

Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:42 pm

103 Barmy Army wrote:
Sven wrote:Apart from nukes famous 'sleep-in', I'm still not seeing anything that comes anywhere close to a real 'claim to fame'; just a few personal moments that are important to the posters themselves

I’m not having meeting the nephew of Bungle from Rainbow isn’t a claim to fame. ;)

What were you expecting on a Cardiff City message board, a former Prime Minister or gold medal winning Olympian? :lol:

I wasn't expecting too much (particularly after some guy with a semmy started it) but I am intrigued by the Bungle story. Tell us more... :thumbup: :lol:

Lots on here, including me, can put out some great 'life experiences', but few of them could be classed as 'claims to fame'

Having met or been introduced most members of the royal family and having coffee with Barack Obama were amongst my many 'personal' experiences but I wouldn't call them 'claims to fame'

Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:35 pm

Sven wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:

I wasn't expecting too much (particularly after some guy with a semmy started it) but I am intrigued by the Bungle story. Tell us more... :thumbup: :lol:

Lots on here, including me, can put out some great 'life experiences', but few of them could be classed as 'claims to fame'

Having met or been introduced most members of the royal family and having coffee with Barack Obama were amongst my many 'personal' experiences but I wouldn't call them 'claims to fame'

:lol: You’re being too modest, get them on the claim to fame list, there’s some crackers there. :thumbup:

As for Bungles nephew, it was during a holiday to Turkey and he was probably having me on by just showing me a random picture of a bloke.

Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:10 pm

103 Barmy Army wrote:
Sven wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:

:lol: You’re being too modest, get them on the claim to fame list, there’s some crackers there. :thumbup:

As for Bungles nephew, it was during a holiday to Turkey and he was probably having me on by just showing me a random picture of a bloke.

:thumbup: :lol: :lol: :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:31 am

Sven wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:
Sven wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:

How did the coffee with Obama come about? I’m intrigued.

Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:05 pm

103 Barmy Army wrote:
Sven wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:
Sven wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:

How did the coffee with Obama come about? I’m intrigued.

Working with NATO and (through pure chance) being in the right place at the right time. A sincere man with a great sense of humour but I'm sure the encounter was more memorable for me than him... :thumbright: :laughing6:

Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:18 am

Me brother was in Nato, and he met a few of those, Obama, Clinton etc. Said the best guy was Beckham, the worst Liam Fox.

Not quite on a par with me meeting Steve Grapes in 1981 tho'...

Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:51 am

My claim to fame is the plane on my way to usa anthony valentine was sitting opposite me and could not get his earphones to work after checking them out they were dead so i gave him mine as i had my own personal ones he was very grateful but did not offer me a part in his next series :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5:

Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:52 am

My claim to fame is the plane on my way to usa anthony valentine was sitting opposite me and could not get his earphones to work after checking them out they were dead so i gave him mine as i had my own personal ones he was very grateful but not enough to offer me a part in his next series :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5:
ps tthose not old enough to remember
Callan
Raffles
Colditz
the avergers (old one)
Minder
Robin of sherwood
lovejoy and many more!

Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:27 pm

Had a memorable encounter with Jock stein Graham Souness and David Speedy the night before the wales Scotland game at Ninian Park the night Jock stein died. They were staying in a hotel I was working in.
Got told by the Scottish management team any room service was not to go to the players rooms without their consent.
Now I done everything I could to help Wales out and was sneaking large amounts of whiskey into Speedy’s room for him and a few others. Got a decent tip each time as well.
My devilish plan didn’t help though wales went out that night with the help of speedy and they went to Mexico not Wales :lol:
Also Jock Stein locked himself out of his room so I went and let him in. I said to him if I let you in will you let wales win ? :lol: :lol:
And the night Porter that was Scottish got sacked coming in pissed out of his head singing Scottish songs in the foyer :lol:

Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:55 pm

rumpo kid wrote:If I could meet the guy who met the nephew of Bungle, that’d be enough..

:lol: :lol: Sorry, only just seen this comment. If you’re anywhere near the Canton Stand on match days, you’ve possibly heard me as opposed to met me. :bluescarf: