Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " European Super League to be announced tonight "

Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:01 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:Gary Neville interview on Sky worth a watch. Certainly let his feelings be known!

https://streamable.com/n3zqnz

Part 2
https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/ ... 0054659082

Oustanding.

Think he's perfectly summed up the whole situation.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:02 pm

Fair play Gary Neville...say it exactly as it is ..pure greed

Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:08 pm

Wont happen

Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:09 pm

Neville is right, all those involved should be docked points or served some sort of punishment. Surely they are breaching the rules? They are planning to completely disrupt the league for their own personal gain. Pure greed.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:29 pm

Could throw the euros into complete chaos. We could be going without Bale, Davies, Roden, Ramsey, James and Neco. That's some hole. England would probably lose half their squad and Belgium / Spain and Italy even more. Needs to be squashed though, it will completely distort any remaining semblance of competition in domestic football.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:33 pm

Fair play Gary Neville honest caring guy :thumbright:

Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:37 pm

Sir Alex Ferguson:

"Talk of a Super League is a move away from 70 years of European club football.

Both as a player for a provincial team Dunfermline in the 60s and as a manager at Aberdeen winning the European Cup Winners' Cup, for a small provincial club in Scotland it was like climbing Mount Everest.

Everton are spending £500million to build a new stadium with the ambition to play in Champions League.

Fans all over love the competition as it is. In my time at United, we played in four Champions League finals and they were always the most special of nights.

I'm not sure Manchester United are involved in this, as I am not part of the decision making process."

Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:07 pm

Since the Tan takeover and the red strip fiasco why are peole here surprised? I said at the time Tan thought the club was a burger franchise, transpose that to the super teams where does it go? I also said we wil see Man United playing Real Madrid in China with a Chinese audience alone of 400 million, who will flock to such numbers Mc Donalds, Coca Cola, banks, car firms, Disney,those who hang on to outdated and somewhat romantic delusional notions of "old" football values cannot see the future. It is sickening but what do you expect money rules.f**k the fans

Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:08 pm

Great news let them f**k off and it'll make the leagues more interesting and not about who has the most money.

The majority of fans who support these clubs do so sitting on their sofas anyway. They are everything that is wrong with football.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:15 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Sir Alex Ferguson:

"Talk of a Super League is a move away from 70 years of European club football.

Both as a player for a provincial team Dunfermline in the 60s and as a manager at Aberdeen winning the European Cup Winners' Cup, for a small provincial club in Scotland it was like climbing Mount Everest.

Everton are spending £500million to build a new stadium with the ambition to play in Champions League.

Fans all over love the competition as it is. In my time at United, we played in four Champions League finals and they were always the most special of nights.

I'm not sure Manchester United are involved in this, as I am not part of the decision making process."

Very diplomatic of him utd very much involved in fast wouldn't be surprised if they are one of the leading lights along with liverpool as they're owned by yanks who are only money oriented and this is right up their street!

Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:10 pm

Completely agree with Neville. His anger is justified. And he is clearly feeling the betrayal from the club he loves.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:26 pm

Could be playing Utd, Robberpool and Arsenal next season if Gary has his way.. only downside is Fulham would stay up

Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:58 pm

At end day it wont happen unless clubs dont care abou getting kicked out of their respective leagues?
But must suspect it's being done as a way to get a bigger share of tv money from UEFA. :shock:

Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:33 pm

Crayfish wrote:Obviously as the biggest if not the best club in Wales we will be invited to join. It will be much more glamorous playing the likes of Real Madrid and Juventus rather than Sheffield Wednsdy and Reading. And think of the away trips to Rome and Barcelona rather than Rotherham and Gillingham. I for one can't wait for it to start.

seriously ?

Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:56 pm

Uefa, the Premier League and UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson have condemned 12 major European clubs, including the 'big six' from England, signing up to a breakaway European Super League.

Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham are part of the group.

La Liga's Atletico Madrid, Barcelona and Real Madrid and Serie A's AC Milan, Inter Milan and Juventus are involved.

Uefa said it will use "all measures" possible to stop the "cynical project".

Senior figures at European football's governing body are furious about the proposals.
None of the clubs involved have commented yet but it is thought a statement is likely to be released later on Sunday.

Johnson said the plans would be "very damaging for football" and that the UK government supports the sport's authorities "in taking action".

He added: "The clubs involved must answer to their fans and the wider footballing community before taking any further steps."

The European Clubs' Association (ECA), which represents Europe's clubs, held an emergency meeting on Sunday in the wake of the reports.

BBC Sport understands none of the clubs mentioned in the Super League reports responded to a request to attend the meeting.

The meeting was chaired by Ajax chief executive Edwin van der Sar. Bayern Munich and Paris St-Germain were among the clubs who were present.

In a statement the ECA said it would be "strongly opposed" to a "closed super league model".

It has pushed plans for a 36-team Champions League, which Uefa had hoped would head off the formation of a Super League. The Champions League reforms are set to be confirmed on Monday.

BBC Sport was told last week of plans for some sort of confirmation about a European Super League.

Uefa released a joint statement, together with England's Football Association, the Premier League, the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF), La Liga, and the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) as well as Serie A, on Sunday.

They said they will "remain united" in trying to stop the breakaway, using both judicial and sporting measures if required.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:58 pm

They also reiterated Fifa's stance that players taking part in the Super League would be banned from all other competitions at domestic, European or world level and could be prevented from representing their national teams.

In a separate statement, the Premier League said it condemned the proposal as it "attacks the principles of open competition and sporting merit which are at the heart" of domestic and European football.

Details on how the breakaway league would work are scarce, but there were talks in October over a new £4.6bn competition that would involve replacing the Champions League.

It would likely be a 'members only' concept, where many of Europe's richest clubs would have guaranteed entry, without the threat of relegation or the possibility of failing to qualify.

The threat of forming a European Super League could also be a handy tool for big clubs to use in their negotiations with Uefa for a better deal.

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden said in a statement the government is "concerned this plan could create a closed shop at the very top of our national game".

He added: "We have a football pyramid where funds from the globally successful Premier League flow down the leagues and into local communities.

"I would be bitterly disappointed to see any action that destroys that."

Labour leader Keir Starmer said the clubs involved should "rethink immediately" or "face the consequences of their actions".

"This proposal risks shutting the door on fans for good, reducing them to mere spectators and consumers," he said.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:07 pm

blue lagoon wrote:I'll leave this subject alone for now . Or I will get accused and slagged by Sven's and his friend of being a communist.

Seeing as you brought me into your murky world, B£ue £agoon, I've never ever slagged you off or called you a Communist. I'd need to know you personally to do either of those and (thankfully) I don't

I just think you are a petty, money-obsessed person envious of anyone you perceive (that's all it is) has more than you...and I'm not afraid to tell you or bat your jealousy back

You're rarely 'on the money', so to speak... :laughing6:

I guess I can now await your 'shrilling' response :ayatollah: :lol:

BREAKING NEWS: EUROPEAN CLUBS ANNOUNCE NEW SUPER LEAGUE

Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:28 pm

BREAKING NEWS:
It's Been CONFIRMED That The Big 6 Teams From The Premier League Are Stakeholders In The New European Super League.
https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2 ... mpetition/

History In Football Has Changed Forever.

Re: " European Super League announced tonight "

Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:30 pm

CONFIRMED

Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City and Tottenham are among 12 clubs who have agreed to join a new European Super League.

In a seismic move for European football, the Premier League clubs will join Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, AC Milan, Inter Milan and Juventus.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, Uefa and the Premier League condemned the move when news of it broke on Sunday.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:38 pm

Welcome to the Kerry Packer World of Football - we have been here before ;)

Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:52 pm

skiprat wrote:Those clubs have more or less dominated English football for 100 years if they fcked off maybe the others would have a chance.

thats it mate , their plan is not to f off... its to play in both the prem and this new super league without having to qualify for the later....... the super lge money would make the gap between the 6 and the other 14 enormous..

Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:03 pm

The UK Government are looking into whether there is a way they can stop this league going ahead.

European Super League will start THIS summer.

FIFA have said all European Super League players will be banned from playing at the 2022 World Cup.

UEFA have said all 12 teams will be excluded from next season's Champions League and Europa League.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:17 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:The UK Government are looking into whether there is a way they can stop this league going ahead.

FIFA have said all European Super League players will be banned from playing at the 2022 World Cup.

UEFA have said all 12 teams will be excluded from next season's Champions League and Europa League.

The problem I have with banning the players so soon is that they are not the ones who decided to join a breakaway league, their clubs did and unless they want to stop playing football they don't really get a choice but to play. The clubs are the ones who should be punished by dropping them down or out of the league and make them work their way back up.

Re: " European Super League has been confirmed "

Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:24 pm

So the proposals for the new Super League involves a group stage of 10 teams with home and away fixtures. So on top of the current fixture list they want to add a minimum of 18 more games!! For some context, a team that finishes in the top 6 of the PL has to play 11 games to win both the FA Cup and League Cup.

I can imagine a lot of the players and managers will be fuming at this, especially if it stops some playing for their national team.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:31 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:The UK Government are looking into whether there is a way they can stop this league going ahead.

The problem I have with banning the players so soon is that they are not the ones who decided to join a breakaway league, their clubs did and unless they want to stop playing football they don't really get a choice but to play. The clubs are the ones who should be punished by dropping them down or out of the league and make them work their way back up.

the players are the meat in the sandwich which ever way it goes... very well paid meat... but id imagine if the FA were to be ultra strong and put all 6 clubs in tier 4 nxt year most the players would leave anyway...?

Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:37 pm

The Premier League and UEFA are livid.

They both earlier threatened to throw these teams out of their domestic league.

Champions League and Europa League matches have been temporarily cancelled.

Not including these 12 teams, the only team left in the Champions League would be PSG. The only teams left in the Europa League would be Roma and Villarreal.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:40 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:

I guess one workaround to avoid punishing the players is for the remainder of their current contract they can continue to play for their national teams. But any new player that signs or any player that signs a new contract for a Super League team is then barred.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:42 pm

EastShoreBlue wrote:So the proposals for the new Super League involves a group stage of 10 teams with home and away fixtures. So on top of the current fixture list they want to add a minimum of 18 more games!! For some context, a team that finishes in the top 6 of the PL has to play 11 games to win both the FA Cup and League Cup.

I can imagine a lot of the players and managers will be fuming at this, especially if it stops some playing for their national team.

these clubs plan to be playing european games anyway... for our 3rd placed europa lge club that means 18 games if you reach the final.... so although it is extra games its not really 18 extra games...
the cups are likely to suffer...possibly the 6 have no intention of continuing in the lge cup ? ... and no doubt if the 6 get their way there will in time be pressure to reduce the prem to 18, maybe 16 ?

Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:52 pm

EastShoreBlue wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:

I guess one workaround to avoid punishing the players is for the remainder of their current contract they can continue to play for their national teams. But any new player that signs or any player that signs a new contract for a Super League team is then barred.

yes.. but wouldnt the whole point to be to stop the super league being super.....

Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:59 pm

Florentino Perez, chairman of The Super League:

“If the players participating in the European Super League are banned from playing the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, we will create our own World Cup tournament. It is not a big deal.”