Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

3 hours for a ambulance disgusting

Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:58 am

My neighbor suffers heart conditions,last night he was rolling around on the floor in agony with chest pains,his wife phoned an ambulance ,we live in Barry with an ambulance station around the corner,it took three hours for one to turn up from Swansea, apparently all the ambulances were all out and queuing to get in the heath hospital ,his wife last night thought he was going to die , can't blame the ambulance staff there just doing there job

Re: 3 hours for a ambulance disgusting

Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:27 am

ion wrote:My neighbor suffers heart conditions,last night he was rolling around on the floor in agony with chest pains,his wife phoned an ambulance ,we live in Barry with an ambulance station around the corner,it took three hours for one to turn up from Swansea, apparently all the ambulances were all out and queuing to get in the heath hospital ,his wife last night thought he was going to die , can't blame the ambulance staff there just doing there job

Unfortunately the system for ambulances is the nearest available one! we regularly have them from Swansea and Visa versa from pembs to outside areas.... a lot of problems is to do with people calling service when can get to hospital by other means .... the hospital A&E part needs overhauling scandalous that they have to wait sometimes hours to release patients.... hope hes okay :thumbup:

Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:38 am

Perhaps I over reacted a bit ,but I was shocked how long it took especially for suspected heart attack,he is ok they don't know what was causing all the pain more tests

Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:32 am

ion wrote:Perhaps I over reacted a bit ,but I was shocked how long it took especially for suspected heart attack,he is ok they don't know what was causing all the pain more tests

It is a shock to think have to wait that long for 999 ambulance? But it's not uncommon especially in areas like Barry as the whole area as hundreds of thousands people if inc Cardiff! It's a well known problem ambulance waiting at A&E maybe one day they'll sort it out.... people have died waiting for ambulance but as they've normally got an underlying health problem its never proven delay caused the death.. glad hes okay

Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:45 am

ion wrote:Perhaps I over reacted a bit ,but I was shocked how long it took especially for suspected heart attack,he is ok they don't know what was causing all the pain more tests

I wonder if it wasn’t triaged as a heart attack as in those circumstances it is 8 mins response and they will take ambulances off other jobs.

I did two shifts with West Midlands Ambulance Service and out of the 15 or so call outs probably 5 were proper 999 calls.

Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:29 pm

I grew up in Barry & when I was a young kid sometime in the late 60s the doctor came to the house & diagnosed meningitis. He told my parents to just throw me in the back of the car & drive to llandough hospital rather than wait for an ambulance as it was an emergency & I may die while waiting. I'm sure it hasn't got much better in the last 50 years.

Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:05 pm

PCH A&E department is an absolute discrace. I took my 5 year old over last week with a head injury at 18.00 and still there at 01.00 waiting for a doctor. There was also an 11 month old baby there with a head injury and had not been seen after 11 hrs along with multiple other children with broken arms etc. Change to the system is needed urgently with only 1 doctor bouncing between emergencies. I'd rather pay private than NHS due to the state it is currently in and Covid has nothing to do with it as it's been getting worse over the last 20 years.

Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:14 pm

They’d rather spend money on the mad race for a bilingual Wales.. some £15M per year.

Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:33 pm

rumpo kid wrote:They’d rather spend money on the mad race for a bilingual Wales.. some £15M per year.

You do understand that money doesn't come from the health budget, yes?
Regardless, the 2020-2021 budget for health is £8.74 billion, if the £15 million did come from that it would be just 0.17% of the health and social services budget. In the overall budget £15 million is about 0.08% of the total money Wales has to spend in a year.

Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:47 pm

As far as I’m aware, no one said it did..yes?

If they need to spend more on health, do it. Too much waste elsewhere.

Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:30 pm

and everybody will vote labour come next Thursday