" Man Utd fans break into Old Trafford - Game Postponed "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sun May 02, 2021 3:06 pm

BREAKING:

Manchester United v Liverpool is OFF due to a security issue.

The decision has been made following consultation between the two clubs, Premier League, Greater Manchester Police and Trafford Council.

Sky Sports:
A Policeman was slashed in the face with a bottle after Manchester Utd fans stormed the pitch at Old Trafford forcing their clash with Liverpool to be scrapped.

Manchester United now say the stadium is safe. The fans have been moved from inside the stadium and those outside have been moved away from the stadium.

20210502_165407.jpg
20210502_165407.jpg (522.87 KiB) Viewed 4406 times

Kick off between Manchester United and Liverpool has been delayed on security grounds.

Manchester United fans have broken into Old Trafford and on to the pitch to protest at the club's owners.

skynews-old-trafford-protest_5363960.jpg
skynews-old-trafford-protest_5363960.jpg (262.54 KiB) Viewed 4463 times

Sky News

Angry Manchester United fans are staging a protest against the club's owners after getting inside their Old Trafford stadium.

Thousands of supporters had gathered outside to demonstrate ahead of Liverpool's visit this afternoon following the club's failed attempt to join the controversial European Super League.

Several hundred then broke down barriers, went into the stadium and ran onto the pitch - with some even climbing the goalposts.

skynews-manchester-united-glazer_5364102.jpg
skynews-manchester-united-glazer_5364102.jpg (181.36 KiB) Viewed 4463 times

Earlier, fans were also seen letting off flares and blocking the entrance to the team's hotel in Manchester.

And now it is reported the referee has not been able to get out of his car and into the ground, casting doubt over whether the Premier League clash will go ahead as planned at 4.30pm.

Sky correspondent Frazer Maude said there was "no sign" of the players leaving their hotel yet - about half an hour after they normally would have left.

skynews-manchester-united-protest_5363933.jpg
skynews-manchester-united-protest_5363933.jpg (164.79 KiB) Viewed 4463 times

He said there was no reason for the match to be postponed on COVID safety reasons since the changing rooms were not accessed by supporters.

But, he added that ground staff would need to spend some time checking the pitch to ensure there were no sharp objects or remains of flares left behind by demonstrators.

skynews-manchester-united-old-trafford_5364067.jpg
skynews-manchester-united-old-trafford_5364067.jpg (156.4 KiB) Viewed 4463 times

Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had earlier backed fans' right to protest but urged them to do it peacefully.

They are demanding change at the top of the club which has been in control of the Glazer family since 2005.

skynews-manchester-uniyed-glazer_5363908.jpg
skynews-manchester-uniyed-glazer_5363908.jpg (95.28 KiB) Viewed 4463 times

The anti-Glazer movement has gained huge momentum in recent weeks following their failed attempt in April to form part of a breakaway Super League.

Just days after the in-out debacle, Manchester United co-chairman Joel Glazer "apologised unreservedly" to fans.

He said: "We got it wrong, and we want to show that we can put things right."

skynews-manchester-untied-glazer_5364103.jpg
skynews-manchester-untied-glazer_5364103.jpg (106.2 KiB) Viewed 4463 times

But his words did little to dampen their anger and the first demonstration formed outside Old Trafford.

Gary Neville, who is working at Old Trafford for Sky Sports, fist-bumped fans who broke in.

skynews-gary-neville-manchester-united_5364125.jpg
skynews-gary-neville-manchester-united_5364125.jpg (189.32 KiB) Viewed 4463 times
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: " Man Utd fans break into Old Trafford to protest "

Postby stickywicket » Sun May 02, 2021 3:08 pm

A, few thousand outside and inside.
The, rest are travelling from all over the world.
stickywicket

Postby pembroke allan » Sun May 02, 2021 4:27 pm

Game delayed 5.30pm.... no ko time given but premier league says it will start! :o
pembroke allan

Postby Sven » Sun May 02, 2021 4:35 pm

stickywicket wrote:A, few thousand outside and inside.

Most sychophantic 'fans' in world football... :roll:

Understand their frustrations re the Glazers though and it's always hard to know the 'best' way to get their points across to an ownership that simply doesn't care about them, just about the money...

For me, what they did today was not the answer
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Sven » Sun May 02, 2021 4:37 pm

GAME NOW CANCELLED/POSTPONED TO ANOTHER DAY/DATE
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sun May 02, 2021 4:38 pm

BREAKING:

Manchester United v Liverpool is OFF due to a security issue.

The decision has been made following consultation between the two clubs, Premier League, Greater Manchester Police and Trafford Council.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

worcester_ccfc

Re: " Man Utd fans break into Old Trafford - Game Postponed

Postby Sven » Sun May 02, 2021 4:51 pm

Some have been reportedly overturning cars away from the ground now...

Mark well overstepped now... :banghead:
Sven

Postby bluesince62 » Sun May 02, 2021 5:07 pm

Sven wrote:Some have been reportedly overturning cars away from the ground now...

Yeah cos its joe bloggs' fault so turn his car over F@CKIN MORONS!!
bluesince62

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sun May 02, 2021 5:09 pm

People will blast these Man Utd fans today but I don't agree.

I'm not a supporter of that club in any stretch of the imagination but the bigger issue is why they were protesting.

Yes there were idiots, there always are in protests - including when we protested against the rebrand.

But the majority didn't overstep the mark.

They have put their message across clearly and I am glad it is being heard by most.

Those who think this is down to the lack of success of that club couldn't be more wrong. They were protesting against the owners when they were winning titles and winning the Champions League.

I fully support this protest from Manchester United fans.

@neddthomas on Twitter.

worcester_ccfc

Postby MR BIRCHGROVE » Sun May 02, 2021 5:32 pm

My personal thoughts are that the usual idiotic minority who entered the ground have let down the majority who were happy to voice their opinion outside the ground and players hotel and then go home.
The protest was fully justified, but as usual, some guys took the matter too far. As a result the match is postponed.
Let's be honest, all clubs have the looney element. I've seen it many times over the years from our crews, especially away from home.
MR BIRCHGROVE

Postby Sven » Sun May 02, 2021 6:50 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
Sven wrote:Some have been reportedly overturning cars away from the ground now...

Paul, it's just crazy but (sadly) very Manchester... :cry:
Sven

Postby rumpo kid » Sun May 02, 2021 7:19 pm

Does show that Agnelli and the rest of the leeches haven’t a clue about their fan base, other than in China.
rumpo kid

Postby Jimmy Scoular » Sun May 02, 2021 7:30 pm

Ponsing around with meaningless placards gets nowhere I admire the fans today who stood up, football has been hijacjed by vultures f**k them or should we watch and let our culture be eroded even more?
Jimmy Scoular

Postby bluesince62 » Sun May 02, 2021 7:33 pm

Sven wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

Until then Chris I supported what they were doing, but as some say above, there are those who just want to kick off in the wrong way, thus tarnishing the majority of other protesters, not calling them all morons, but the few that carried out totally unnecessary vandalism to innocent people's property? Dicks!!
bluesince62

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sun May 02, 2021 7:34 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
Sven wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

Until then Chris I supported what they were doing, but as some say above, there are those who just want to kick off in the wrong way, thus tarnishing the majority of other protesters, not calling them all morons, but the few that carried out totally unnecessary vandalism to innocent people's property? Dicks!!

So all of our fans who campaigned against the rebrand are pricks because a minority of them got violent?

@neddthomas on Twitter.

worcester_ccfc

Postby WestCoastBlue » Sun May 02, 2021 7:44 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Sven wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

So all of our fans who campaigned against the rebrand are pricks because a minority of them got violent?

I think you should re-read what 62 has said. He's saying it about the minority, not all of them just because they're associated with the minority.
WestCoastBlue

Postby Valleyblue56 » Sun May 02, 2021 8:04 pm

People have short memories when we played arsenal in the cup we were all walking back to the buses and morons were kicking wing mirrors off mostly red cars ..giving it the big I am .also ripping seats in stadium b4 we left
Valleyblue56

Postby pembroke allan » Sun May 02, 2021 8:13 pm

This is not about any other fans and past history ... this is about people throwing bottles and barriers at police that's why called off.... let's hope it doesn't start a wave of idiotic behaviour because these fans said they wanted game called off and achieving this will only encourage others to do same undoubtedly. :roll:
pembroke allan

Postby nubbsy » Sun May 02, 2021 8:43 pm

Sven wrote:

Understand their frustrations re the Glazers though and it's always hard to know the 'best' way to get their points across to an ownership that simply doesn't care about them, just about the money...

Christ, we were far too passive with the rebrand. Fans have had enough of being walked all over. I think they need to take back power and sometimes things like this is the only way they'll be heard.
nubbsy

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sun May 02, 2021 9:15 pm

nubbsy wrote:
Sven wrote:

Christ, we were far too passive with the rebrand. Fans have had enough of being walked all over. I think they need to take back power and sometimes things like this is the only way they'll be heard.

Spot on.

@neddthomas on Twitter.

worcester_ccfc

Postby boyo1927 » Sun May 02, 2021 9:20 pm

Well done man u fans for sticking up for your club....the idiots that when too far causing harm should not take away from the protest making the impact. By getting the game postponed they have done this.
boyo1927

Postby pembroke allan » Sun May 02, 2021 9:45 pm

boyo1927 wrote:Well done man u fans for sticking up for your club....the idiots that when too far causing harm should not take away from the protest making the impact. By getting the game postponed they have done this.

The game wasnt called off because of fans protest it was called off due to the violence by some! Before the violence premier league said game will still go ahead ..... the violence meant players and staff safety could not be risked hence postponement.
pembroke allan

Postby bluesince62 » Sun May 02, 2021 10:23 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Sven wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

I know someone has suggested you re read my post, have you? It's very clear I said nothing of the sorts, and you accuse me of calling our fans dicks??
Please read the post again, wrecking innocent people's property will be highlighted and will tarnish the protest, WHICH I SUPPORT :roll: no apology needed ;) :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Postby TopCat CCFC » Sun May 02, 2021 10:41 pm

The banner said it all as they felt - " You can buy our club - But can't buy our hearts and soul " .
TopCat CCFC

Postby bluesince62 » Sun May 02, 2021 11:23 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Sven wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

I know someone has suggested you re read my post, have you? It's very clear I said nothing of the sorts, and you accuse me of calling our fans dicks??
Please read the post again, wrecking innocent people's property will be highlighted and will tarnish the protest, WHICH I SUPPORT :roll: no apology needed ;) :old: :bluebird:

And to highlight my point, bbc reporting 2 hrs ago, "violent protests" etc etc!! The minority have ruined what was until then a great protest :twisted:
bluesince62

Postby bluesince62 » Sun May 02, 2021 11:44 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Sven wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

I think you should re-read what 62 has said. He's saying it about the minority, not all of them just because they're associated with the minority.

Cheers west coast, I have added a post for him, as I was a little confused myself, as to why he thought that?? And adding the beeb have already reported "violent scenes at protests" :thumbup: :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Postby worcester_ccfc » Mon May 03, 2021 11:40 am

bluesince62 wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Sven wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

I'm glad you say "no apology needed", because you're not getting an apology from me. I don't need to apologise.

The far bigger issue is why they protested and what they achieved by it.

You chose to comment and draw attention to the very limited amount of violent behaviour there was, which is what the media are trying to portray.

People marching outside the stadium with a few banners would have done nothing.

But these actions have successfully caused a high-profile match to be postponed. That is a fantastic achievement by these fans. Millions all over the world would have seen what they think about the Glazer family and ESL.

As I said, there are a few idiots, as there are with all protests. Such as the person who tried to throw a flare at the Sky gantry. But these are very isolated incidents.

Even those on the pitch, I fully understand why they did it and support them in that. They are feeling very angry and emotional. They have been for years and haven't been listened to. But, as I said, they have successfully caused a big match to be postponed in front of millions of people. That's a great achievement after what has happened over last couple of weeks and, before that, the last 16 years.

The vast majority should be very proud of what they achieved. That wouldn't have happened if they just walked up to outside the stadium with a few banners.

@neddthomas on Twitter.

worcester_ccfc

Postby pembroke allan » Mon May 03, 2021 12:47 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Sven wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

I'm glad you say "no apology needed", because you're not getting an apology from me. I don't need to apologise.

The far bigger issue is why they protested and what they achieved by it.

You chose to comment and draw attention to the very limited amount of violent behaviour there was, which is what the media are trying to portray.

People marching outside the stadium with a few banners would have done nothing.

But these actions have successfully caused a high-profile match to be postponed. That is a fantastic achievement by these fans. Millions all over the world would have seen what they think about the Glazer family and ESL.

As I said, there are a few idiots, as there are with all protests. Such as the person who tried to throw a flare at the Sky gantry. But these are very isolated incidents.

Even those on the pitch, I fully understand why they did it and support them in that. They are feeling very angry and emotional. They have been for years and haven't been listened to. But, as I said, they have successfully caused a big match to be postponed in front of millions of people. That's a great achievement after what has happened over last couple of weeks and, before that, the last 16 years.

The vast majority should be very proud of what they achieved. That wouldn't have happened if they just walked up to outside the stadium with a few banners.

Ned have to ask what prompted the postponement of game the peaceful protest or the violence caused by the minority?
Previous demos did nothing and wont do anything to make glaziers or krondike sell up ... .. only solution to this is for legislative powers to be introduced because can be sure as hell it will resurface in another guise at some point as these owners want the money from tv just like real & barca have done in le liga....... lets just hope yesterday does not start a snowball situation this weekend and have other games called off because of the minority.
pembroke allan

Postby Bluebird1977 » Mon May 03, 2021 12:51 pm

The same ones crying will be more than likely paying there daft money sipping bovril with a few claps inside old trafford soon no doubt all while lining the same pocklets there protesting against.

Modern football and its backwards fans in most cases, you know the ones with a big banner "Modern football is a rip off" inside the ground just after paying £50 for a ticket then moan to there other delusional protesting mates sat by them why have we not spent 50 million on a certain player and won the last 7 league titles on the spin :roll:

Although i totally agree with what they done vs the greedy owners only if they do a full BOYCOTT. it will only get worse as i can see some of the other greedy super league clubs fans doing the same but some big names players or a league title will cover over the real issues for most of them no doubt as that's all most are interested in is spend spend spend then protest against the owners once that stops, its all bonkers but the super league bollocks was the tipping point for most of these clubs fans, total piss take.
:bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: “We will dust ourselves down and go again” :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:
Bluebird1977

Postby Sven » Mon May 03, 2021 1:26 pm

Bluebird1977 wrote:The same ones crying will be more than likely paying there daft money sipping bovril with a few claps inside old trafford soon no doubt all while lining the same pocklets there protesting against.

Modern football and its backwards fans in most cases, you know the ones with a big banner "Modern football is a rip off" inside the ground just after paying £50 for a ticket then moan to there other delusional protesting mates sat by them why have we not spent 50 million on a certain player and won the last 7 league titles on the spin :roll:

Although i totally agree with what they done vs the greedy owners only if they do a full BOYCOTT. it will only get worse as i can see some of the other greedy super league clubs fans doing the same but some big names players or a league title will cover over the real issues for most of them no doubt as that's all most are interested in is spend spend spend then protest against the owners once that stops, its all bonkers but the super league bollocks was the tipping point for most of these clubs fans, total piss take.

It's hard to disagree with this, Ian; it is (as we see above) an emotive subject depending on any individuals view of what they feel is warranted or otherwise...

It seems that whilst appreciating that real supporters have a right to protest when they feel their club is being mis-run and they (as supporters) are being largely ignored, there is a balance to be had when protesting

For me, I believe that as soon as even 'some' go down the violent and wrecking route, the credibility of the whole is compromised

I don't know why yesterday other than it was a big game but I agree that the only way they will truly grab the right attention is to boycott once they are allowed to go back in; but looking at the actual numbers involved, it seems that is unlikely...

Interesting that someone brought up our own situation from a few years ago. Not the same by a long chalk but there were common factors i.e. the relatively low numbers of supporters who were concerned enough to either protest or walk away, and the involvement of certain groups/individuals who ensured those figures stayed low...

Clearly, it's all open to opinion and interpretation and that's why this debate is going so strongly :thumbright:
Sven

Next

Return to General Chat