Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

If Tan has someone scouring this MB, a message..

Sat May 01, 2021 6:01 pm

Today Birmingham relied on kids and were roundly, and soundly beaten by, I have to say, a run of the mill Cardiff City Side absolutely ravaged by injury and suspension .

We found it easy.

You want to elevate and rely on our kids en masse next year, then you've seen at first hand what will happen.

Birminghams kids comfortably beat our kids in their U-whatever game about 5 weeks ago, showing their kids, who failed today, might actually be better than ours.

Scary.....

Re: If Tan has someone scouring this MB, a message..

Sat May 01, 2021 7:00 pm

I think its doable to survive the Championship with our kids providing we keep such players as Morrison, Moore and Vaulks. Perhaps one or two more we should keep. It will be interesting to see what happens if some comes in for the likes of Moore bidding £15m for him. Then we will see how ambitious Tan is.

Sat May 01, 2021 7:19 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:I think its doable to survive the Championship with our kids providing we keep such players as Morrison, Moore and Vaulks. Perhaps one or two more we should keep. It will be interesting to see what happens if some comes in for the likes of Moore bidding £15m for him. Then we will see how ambitious Tan is.

depends how good the kids are... both Derby and Birmingham today have shown what a car crash it can be.... not that ours are kids most are in their 20s... Rmbo had been sold , and Ledley had played a 100 first team games while younger than most of the ..kids...we are talking about...

Sun May 02, 2021 8:10 am

Manchester United and Liverpool in recent years have shown the way to blooding youngsters. Generally a maximum of 2 will be used alongside experienced squad members.

I am all for bringing youth through but it has to be done in a managed way.

Sun May 02, 2021 8:59 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Manchester United and Liverpool in recent years have shown the way to blooding youngsters. Generally a maximum of 2 will be used alongside experienced squad members.

Absolutely. Some people on this board wanted City to do what Birmingham did yesterday; that was proven to be a big mistake.
Step by step he’ll blood them. Colwill, Bagan, Harris will become better players playing with experienced players.

Sun May 02, 2021 9:02 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Manchester United and Liverpool in recent years have shown the way to blooding youngsters. Generally a maximum of 2 will be used alongside experienced squad members.

Too true Tony. Unless they are are truly outstanding, it is a tactic that will see us leave the Championship in the wrong direction.

Experience counts for a lot and the current team is brimming over with it. I think MM has got it spot on this year by gradually introducing youth and I see more of the same next season.

Sun May 02, 2021 10:38 am

Tony, this is exactly what many, including me, are asking for...

It's not about playing them all from the start but giving them a gentle introduction as and when the time was right...

Yesterday, for me, was a perfect opportunity and I felt the lack of doing so may have spoken volumes about the manager's thoughts on the matter...

If there's one thing I learned from Neil ap Warnock's time here, it is that 'Press Briefings' are often used to 'spin' rather than genuinely inform

Mick McCarthy is of that ilk and whilst I like him as a manager and a character, I just feel that he is also 'playing the game' a little and may well not be in complete harmony with the owners thoughts on our young guns

Sun May 02, 2021 10:51 am

Sven wrote:

Tony, this is exactly what many, including me, are asking for...

It's not about playing them all from the start but giving them a gentle introduction as and when the time was right...

Yesterday, for me, was a perfect opportunity and I felt the lack of doing so may have spoken volumes about the manager's thoughts on the matter...

If there's one thing I learned from Neil ap Warnock's time here, it is that 'Press Briefings' are often used to 'spin' rather than genuinely inform

Mick McCarthy is of that ilk and whilst I like him as a manager and a character, I just feel that he is also 'playing the game' a little and may well not be in complete harmony with the owners thoughts on our young guns

Exactly Chris :thumbright: :bluebird:

Sun May 02, 2021 1:08 pm

MoodyBluebird wrote:

Too true Tony. Unless they are are truly outstanding, it is a tactic that will see us leave the Championship in the wrong direction.

Experience counts for a lot and the current team is brimming over with it. I think MM has got it spot on this year by gradually introducing youth and I see more of the same next season.
t

This is just complete nonsense. There is not a single person on this board who has advocated playing six academy players at the same time and effectively throwing a match. What we have been saying is bring in one or two of the most promising player when there is nothing to play for. Yesterday we were three and four nil up and he still would not bring on Bowen Davies or Evans. It's the stubborn refusal to bring on anyone but Cowill we are complaining about.

Sun May 02, 2021 3:42 pm

Is this for the fans who want us to play the kids too?

Sun May 02, 2021 4:13 pm

Crayfish wrote:
MoodyBluebird wrote:

t

This is just complete nonsense. There is not a single person on this board who has advocated playing six academy players at the same time and effectively throwing a match. What we have been saying is bring in one or two of the most promising player when there is nothing to play for. Yesterday we were three and four nil up and he still would not bring on Bowen Davies or Evans. It's the stubborn refusal to bring on anyone but Cowill we are complaining about.

I don't think you get it do you.

MM is a football manager who wants to win football matches first and foremost. There are no games in his eyes when there is "nothing to play for" and I like that about him. Nothing worse than players just going through the motions at the tail end of the season. Even at 4-0 he is likely to be thinking about keeping a clean sheet not blooding youngsters for the sake of it

I have faith that the manager will play these youngsters when he deems them fit and ready and not before. It should be remembered that he sees them every day in training so he knows what they're capable of.

Sun May 02, 2021 4:32 pm

No one wants to play a youngster for the sake of it you want to play them to see if they are good enough to play for the first team it is forward planning. Many who watch the academy think some of them will be good enough for first team football. Unless you give them a go you will never find out. Most of them are not kids either but approaching 20.

I admire MMs desire to win every game but can you seriously tell me brining on one academy player when we were 3 and four nil up against Birmingham would have cost us the game.

MM got us into the playoffs but we are now ten points outside the playoffs so it is obvious the current first team isn't good enough. The worrying thing for me yesterday was without Wilson who was the best player on the pitch by a mile we would have struggled to beat a Birmingham team with six academy players yesterday. What we learnt from the game yesterday was Harry Wilson is a really good player and will do a good job for someone else next season.

Sun May 02, 2021 4:41 pm

Crayfish wrote:No one wants to play a youngster for the sake of it you want to play them to see if they are good enough to play for the first team it is forward planning. Many who watch the academy think some of them will be good enough for first team football. Unless you give them a go you will never find out. Most of them are not kids either but approaching 20.

I admire MMs desire to win every game but can you seriously tell me brining on one academy player when we were 3 and four nil up against Birmingham would have cost us the game.

MM got us into the playoffs but we are now ten points outside the playoffs so it is obvious the current first team isn't good enough. The worrying thing for me yesterday was without Wilson who was the best player on the pitch by a mile we would have struggled to beat a Birmingham team with six academy players yesterday. What we learnt from the game yesterday was Harry Wilson is a really good player and will do a good job for someone else next season.

An excellent/valid point re the ages of some of these players, some of whom are not teenagers anymore... :thumbright:

Sun May 02, 2021 5:49 pm

MoodyBluebird wrote:
Crayfish wrote:
MoodyBluebird wrote:

t

I don't think you get it do you.

MM is a football manager who wants to win football matches first and foremost. There are no games in his eyes when there is "nothing to play for" and I like that about him. Nothing worse than players just going through the motions at the tail end of the season. Even at 4-0 he is likely to be thinking about keeping a clean sheet not blooding youngsters for the sake of it

I have faith that the manager will play these youngsters when he deems them fit and ready and not before. It should be remembered that he sees them every day in training so he knows what they're capable of.

Agree with this.
Should add that he has shown no hesitation in picking youngsters when he had to ie Bagan rather than Harris’ cock eyed ploy to put in a player hopelessly out of position when the RB’s were injured.
He’s also given Colwill and Harris game time and they’ll be such better players having match time experience ALONGSIDE seasoned players not like Bowyer just chucking them into the deep end.

Mon May 03, 2021 7:24 pm

Bowyer you would think had his reasons for playing 6 youngsters perhaps he thought we were a good opportunity to do so? is there a much difference putting in 4 or 5 youngsters in a cup game knowing got good chance of getting beaten by a lower league team as it persistently happens to us..... does getting beaten in 1 game help them develop doubt it very much so after defeat they are left in u23 for rest season and there lies the problem.

Mon May 03, 2021 9:20 pm

Danny Says wrote:

Absolutely. Some people on this board wanted City to do what Birmingham did yesterday; that was proven to be a big mistake.
Step by step he’ll blood them. Colwill, Bagan, Harris will become better players playing with experienced players.

Keep reading this statement. Who are these posters then who have said they want to see the team mainly made up of youth?