MICK McCARTHY NAMES HARRY WILSONS REPLACEMENT

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Tue May 04, 2021 12:38 pm

Mick McCarthy names replacement for Liverpool-bound Cardiff City star and hints could already be done

Harry Wilson will return to Liverpool this summer and there will be a sizeable void left in the Cardiff City team, however the Bluebirds boss knows who the ideal replacement will be

Tuesday 4th May 2021

By Glen Williams

Cardiff City manager Mick McCarthy does not believe he has to go out seeking a replacement for Liverpool-bound Harry Wilson, instead insisting he has the "perfect" replacement already within his ranks.

In what is likely to be Harry Wilson's penultimate Bluebirds game, he struck a sensational hat-trick in the 4-0 drubbing of Birmingham City last weekend.

McCarthy dubbed it one of the best you will ever see and went on to say that there is no reason Wilson could not go back to his parent club and really challenge for a starting spot at Anfield next season.

Whether or not that comes to fruition remains to be seen, but it is almost certain that Wilson's future does not lie in the Welsh capital next year. The 24-year-old himself made no bones about the fact he wants his future resolved this summer.

It means the Bluebirds will have the task of filling that sizeable void next season, with Wilson having contributed seven goals and 12 assists across a very steady campaign.

The Wales international has been nailed-on first choice in that position this season and rightly so, with others having to wait patiently in the wings for their opportunity.

But next season it appears some already in the ranks will get a clean run at it, with McCarthy not particularly interested in splashing what would inevitably be quite a bit of money given it is considered a premium position.

Instead, he thinks there is one player already with the Bluebirds who has all the weapons in his armoury to fill Wilson's shoes next term.

McCarthy has virtually no money available for next season and has been told he will have to sell before can buy any new players.

"Jonny Williams is a perfect replacement for that," McCarthy said.

"Rubin Colwill is as well, actually, that's where he played in the under-23s and he's more than capable of that.

"Is he Harry Wilson? No, he's not, because he's not been to Hull and Derby and Bournemouth and Cardiff in the Championship.

"But Jonny, certainly, has got the ability to do that. So I'm not actively going out seeking for one of those."

The fact McCarthy feels he does not have to look elsewhere almost confirms that Williams will be at the club next term.

Jonny Williams has made one start since he joined the Bluebirds in January and few as substitute in the final minutes due to injuries.

Williams track record is not good averaging in the last 10 years , 13 appearances a season for the clubs he has played for and many of them were as a sub.

But Williams is free and low wages and McCarthy believes in him.

The Wales international has found game time hard to come by, having been stuck behind Wilson in the pecking order for the most part, and has struggled to really make an impression in the little time he has been afforded.

Williams was signed back in January on a short-term contract only until the end of this season. However, there was an option to extend for a further year and although there has been no confirmation to suggest that has happened, McCarthy has all but confirmed that deal has been done.

As to Lee Tomlin:

It is also notable that McCarthy has not mentioned Lee Tomlin in the above, instead name dropping the impressive Rubin Colwill, who will no doubt go from strength to strength after turning out impressive back-to-back performances in his first two starts in a Cardiff City shirt.

Quite where that leaves Tomlin is anyone's guess, at the minute, but we appear to have a much clearer idea of where Williams will be playing his football next term.

Lee Tomlin has recently deleted his Twitter account. :shock:
Attachments
00D7B7D1-3254-408A-B024-0617CF6DCA6C.jpeg
00D7B7D1-3254-408A-B024-0617CF6DCA6C.jpeg (56.12 KiB) Viewed 8008 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: MICK McCARTHY NAMES HARRY WILSONS REPLACEMENT

Postby Forever Blue » Tue May 04, 2021 12:41 pm

OPINIONS ON JONNY WILLIAMS BEING HARRY WILSON’S REPLACEMENT?

For me it’s a NO and if we intend to even try for the play -offs then we need loan players like Harry Wilson, not injury prone players, we have had enough of them and Williams track record over the last 10 years is worse than awful.

I am actually gobsmacked by this :shock:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby bluesince62 » Tue May 04, 2021 12:44 pm

Im sorry, but if he thinks jonny Williams is a replacement for HW,im not impressed!! Williams should be sent off elswhere,let alone replace Wilson!! But I guess he is free, and wont cost a fortune in wages, so is looking like MM rates him far higher than most of us do?
bluesince62

Postby Big Hill Blue » Tue May 04, 2021 12:45 pm

A shame we cannot afford to keep Wilson.

I'm not sure Johnny is the best person to fill that void. He has been out injured for about 75% of his career. It doesn't bode well that he may not improve on that.

One start and a couple of sub appearances under MM.

Not for me. Always happy to be proven wrong but he is not anywhere near capable of taking over from Wilson.
Big Hill Blue

Postby davids » Tue May 04, 2021 12:53 pm

Had to check the calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st.

Does he honestly believe that Johnny Williams can replace Harry Wilson?

:banghead: :banghead:

Come on Mick - you're starting to worry me a bit now.
davids

Postby Forever Blue » Tue May 04, 2021 12:57 pm

davids wrote:Had to check the calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st.

David,

When I first read it it really did feel like April fools day .

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Tue May 04, 2021 12:58 pm

bluesince62 wrote:Im sorry, but if he thinks jonny Williams is a replacement for HW,im not impressed!! Williams should be sent off elswhere,let alone replace Wilson!! But I guess he is free, and wont cost a fortune in wages, so is looking like MM rates him far higher than most of us do?

There is NO Comparison at all, it’s got to be a joke.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Tue May 04, 2021 12:59 pm

Big Hill Blue wrote:A shame we cannot afford to keep Wilson.

I'm not sure Johnny is the best person to fill that void. He has been out injured for about 75% of his career. It doesn't bode well that he may not improve on that.

Not for me. Always happy to be proven wrong but he is not anywhere near capable of taking over from Wilson.

I agree we can’t afford Wilson, sad but true.

But No no no way Jonny Williams?? Yes pay as you play at best and even then you can’t compare.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Crayfish » Tue May 04, 2021 1:07 pm

Ah but as loads of people keep telling me whenever I or anyone else suggests ever playing a youngster MM sees the team in training every day and thus can judge who is and who isn't ready for first team football. If he says Williams is the ready made replacement for Wilson we must trust that he is.

Have to say I have some reservations. Wilson scored three goals against Birmingham and Williams has never managed more than two in an entire season being one of them. Another one is he only manages an average of thirteen games a season. I would have thought Cowill or even Harris would be a better bet. Can't actually believe we are even thinking of signing him.
Crayfish

Postby Always City » Tue May 04, 2021 1:07 pm

I've not seen anything from Jonny Williams since he joined us to indicate that he can "do a job" in the Championship.
Theres nothing to suggest hes a perfect replacement. He doesnt score many and doesnt create many, no way would McCarthy do this , this has got to be a media Wales wind up by Glen Willians surely?

Maybe it’s because they have the same surnames :lol: :x :lol:
Always City

Postby Always City » Tue May 04, 2021 1:09 pm

Crayfish wrote:

Ah but as loads of people keep telling me whenever I or anyone else suggests ever playing a youngster MM sees the team in training every day and thus can judge who is and who isn't ready for first team football. If he says Williams is the ready made replacement for Wilson we must trust that he is.

Have to say I have some reservations. Wilson scored three goals against Birmingham and Williams has never managed more than two in an entire season being one of them. Another one is he only manages an average of thirteen games a season. I would have thought Cowill or even Harris would be a better bet. Can't actually believe we are even thinking of signing him.

I back Micks judgement but not on this , from day one Williams has done nothing for us and nothing in his career after more than ten years, must be best mates.
It’s worrying
Always City

Postby Forever Blue » Tue May 04, 2021 1:12 pm

Reply Twitter:
Attachments
8E20FA24-DF6A-4EEE-B67E-25E24509DB07.jpeg
8E20FA24-DF6A-4EEE-B67E-25E24509DB07.jpeg (324.23 KiB) Viewed 7464 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby bluesince62 » Tue May 04, 2021 1:14 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:Im sorry, but if he thinks jonny Williams is a replacement for HW,im not impressed!! Williams should be sent off elswhere,let alone replace Wilson!! But I guess he is free, and wont cost a fortune in wages, so is looking like MM rates him far higher than most of us do?

There is NO Comparison at all, it’s got to be a joke.

For sure Annis,what the actual f@ck?? And there are suggestions a deal is as good as done with Williams!! If its not on a pay as you play deal,I will be surprised for sure.
bluesince62

Postby skidemin » Tue May 04, 2021 1:16 pm

he isnt Harry Wilson because he went on loan to different clubs....what the f@@@ is that about .....
skidemin

Postby john52 » Tue May 04, 2021 1:19 pm

I stopped believing in fairies many years ago .If mm keeps saying Williams is the replacement fo Wilson then maybe some other fans Might start believing him
john52

Postby Bluebina » Tue May 04, 2021 1:21 pm

Forever Blue wrote:OPINIONS ON JONNY WILLIAMS BEING HARRY WILSON’S REPLACEMENT?

For me it’s a NO and if we intend to even try for the play -offs then we need loan players like Harry Wilson, not injury prone players, we have had enough of them and Williams track record over the last 10 years is worse than awful.

I am actually gobsmacked by this :shock:

That's worrying as there is no comparison, but I was expecting something like this.

I think we will play slightly differently so we won't get a direct replacement, he is irreplaceable anyway unless we find a bag load of cash somewhere.

I expect us to be even more workmanlike and difficult to beat, with a midfield full of water carrying cloggers, I don't think it's going to be pretty but fingers crossed it's effective.

Colwill looks a great prospect, hopefully he will be one of the shining lights next season :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
Bluebina

Postby skidemin » Tue May 04, 2021 1:21 pm

Always City wrote:I've not seen anything from Jonny Williams since he joined us to indicate that he can "do a job" in the Championship.
Theres nothing to suggest hes a perfect replacement. He doesnt score many and doesnt create many, no way would McCarthy do this , this has got to be a media Wales wind up by Glen Willians surely?

Maybe it’s because they have the same surnames :lol: :x :lol:

doesnt score many is an understatement..
3 championship goals in a career that goes back 140 apps over 9 years 8 months .. THREE..
skidemin

Postby Big Hill Blue » Tue May 04, 2021 1:23 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

But No no no way Jonny Williams?? Yes pay as you play at best and even then you can’t compare.

Absolutely no comparison. MM must be trying to persuade us as there's no money available.

JW pay as you play? Hardly ever plays so saving us money there.

MM signed him for remainder of last season and he played once?!

How in the Hell can he think we would think he's a built I replacement??
Last edited by Big Hill Blue on Tue May 04, 2021 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Hill Blue

Postby john52 » Tue May 04, 2021 1:24 pm

I stopped believing in fairies many years ago .If mm keeps saying Williams is the replacement fo Wilson then maybe some other fans Might start believing him
john52

Postby worcester_ccfc » Tue May 04, 2021 1:26 pm

Not sure how much to read into these comments.

If he goes and says "we desperately need to sign a replacement this summer", the clubs will try and get a lot of money out of us because we are desperate to sign someone.

I wouldn't take these comments from Mick at face value.

I would be shocked if he thinks Jonny Williams can replace Harry Wilson.

Colwill looks a very promising prospect as well. He's been brought into the first team set up the right way, in that he spent time travelling with the first team before getting an opportunity to play recently.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby Sam ReaN » Tue May 04, 2021 1:27 pm

It's a bit silly saying that Johnny Williams is Harry's replacement. Because Johnny cant score free kicks, he dont have the qualities Wilson has so its a bit silly of an answer, because he is the cheaper option dont make him quality like Harry Wilson.
Im not doubting Williams ability it's just Wilson is younger an hungrier in terms of his skills on the pitch.
Also On The Sam ReaN YouTube Channel
Cardiff City Highlights On Bits From The Action
The ReaN Show Series 1-6
CardiffFanTV / On Facebook & YouTube
Vlogging Adventures
Video Games
SUBSCRIBE IN 2024
Sam ReaN

Postby skidemin » Tue May 04, 2021 1:30 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

not at all surprised we intend extending his contract because the squad was already to small this season and we all know there is little or no money...
but i did think MM would be viewing him as a fringe player , spinning it as a HW replacement though ..waw..
skidemin

Postby Escott1927 » Tue May 04, 2021 1:34 pm

What an absolute piss take :lol: nothing against Williams personally, but he doesn't score or create and his injury record is terrible. He is literally the opposite to what wilson brings to the team.

Colwill looks like a brilliant prospect and already looks more than capable in this league. Glad he's going to be involved next season. But Williams has done nothing this season or in his career to suggest he's a top end championship player. If this is the best we can expect then we are really in for a dire season of football next season.
Escott1927

Postby Forever Blue » Tue May 04, 2021 1:42 pm

Reply FB:
Attachments
0576ACD5-4DF5-4A0D-AD16-AEE429E21A46.jpeg
0576ACD5-4DF5-4A0D-AD16-AEE429E21A46.jpeg (415.2 KiB) Viewed 7098 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Big Hill Blue » Tue May 04, 2021 1:46 pm

I've never taken MM as a stand up comedian what with his gritty northern demeanour and dead pan delivery.

This had me laughing out loud. Fair play Mick.
Big Hill Blue

Postby Forever Blue » Tue May 04, 2021 1:48 pm

Replies FB:
Attachments
47B6095E-9035-4ADF-9E08-86C3A8C9397D.jpeg
47B6095E-9035-4ADF-9E08-86C3A8C9397D.jpeg (410.57 KiB) Viewed 7030 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Big Hill Blue » Tue May 04, 2021 1:56 pm

Madness

They call it madness.
Big Hill Blue

Postby Monmouth » Tue May 04, 2021 2:09 pm

Wilson has in one game scored the total sum of goals scored by Jonny Williams career to date 3

I’m not sure of the BS pedalled previously by MM at the other clubs he’s managed - but here’s a message don’t try and insult the intelligence of Cardiff City supporters we won’t swallow it like other clubs.

As for the youngster - he has a bright future ahead, but at the moment he can’t last longer than 55 mins in championship football.
Monmouth

Postby GENERAL CHAT » Tue May 04, 2021 2:15 pm

FFS he couldn't lace wilsons boots!

I had to check it was not April the first.

I thought MM had some good football knowledge?

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Edmund: Have you ever been to Wales, Baldrick?
Baldrick: No, but I've often thought that I'd like to.
Edmund: Well don't. It's a ghastly place. Huge gangs of tough, sinewy men roam the valleys terrifying people with their close-harmony singing
GENERAL CHAT

Postby Ninian27 » Tue May 04, 2021 2:20 pm

This is a joke? no way
Ninian27

Next

Return to General Chat