MICK McCARTHY NAMES HARRY WILSONS REPLACEMENT

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: MICK McCARTHY NAMES HARRY WILSONS REPLACEMENT

Postby barnet blue » Tue May 04, 2021 2:22 pm

We should not even be considering Williams being with us next season, never mind replacing Wilson :shock: :shock: :shock:
barnet blue

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby Crayfish » Tue May 04, 2021 2:27 pm

One of the reasons we should not sign Williams is we night become the football equivalent to a NHS bed blocker in a hospital. MM has already shown a propensity to play more experienced players in favour of promising youngsters even when there is nothing riding on the match. I would not like to see Williams play if the alternative was Cowill Harris or Watters. As has been pointed out he is essentially a good if injury prone league one player. It is not insignificant that we got him from a league one club.
Crayfish

Postby Forever Blue » Tue May 04, 2021 2:28 pm

Crayfish wrote:One of the reasons we should not sign Williams is we night become the football equivalent to a NHS bed blocker in a hospital. MM has already shown a propensity to play more experienced players in favour of promising youngsters even when there is nothing riding on the match. I would not like to see Williams play if the alternative was Cowill Harris or Watters. As has been pointed out he is essentially a good if injury prone league one player. It is not insignificant that we got him from a league one club.

Absolutely Spot on :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Loyal Blue » Tue May 04, 2021 2:32 pm

If seems like a bit of a contradiction that he thinks that Williams is a replacement for Wilson yet refuses to play him. Honestly if he signs Jonny Williams I would start to have serious reservations about MM. This is a player who goes entire seasons without scoring is injury prone and no spring chicken.
Loyal Blue

Postby Hellen » Tue May 04, 2021 2:33 pm

I just do not know what to say :cry: :cry:
Hellen

Postby skidemin » Tue May 04, 2021 2:54 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Not sure how much to read into these comments.

If he goes and says "we desperately need to sign a replacement this summer", the clubs will try and get a lot of money out of us because we are desperate to sign someone.

I wouldn't take these comments from Mick at face value.

I would be shocked if he thinks Jonny Williams can replace Harry Wilson.

Colwill looks a very promising prospect as well. He's been brought into the first team set up the right way, in that he spent time travelling with the first team before getting an opportunity to play recently.

i get the point about not telegraphing your budget.... but its a bit extreme...
doesnt make a great deal of sense either as Jonny hasnt exactly had many minutes....
very strange remark...
skidemin

Re: If seems like a bit of a contradiction that he thinks th

Postby skidemin » Tue May 04, 2021 2:57 pm

Loyal Blue wrote:If seems like a bit of a contradiction that he thinks that Williams is a replacement for Wilson yet refuses to play him. Honestly if he signs Jonny Williams I would start to have serious reservations about MM. This is a player who goes entire seasons without scoring is injury prone and no spring chicken.

its not MM you need to be having reservations about mate.... its more what our squad might look like next season if he is viewing people not close this season to be 1st choice next season it suggests we will be considerably weaker...
skidemin

Postby Sven » Tue May 04, 2021 3:02 pm

Forever Blue wrote:OPINIONS ON JONNY WILLIAMS BEING HARRY WILSON’S REPLACEMENT?

For me it’s a NO and if we intend to even try for the play -offs then we need loan players like Harry Wilson, not injury prone players, we have had enough of them and Williams track record over the last 10 years is worse than awful.

I am actually gobsmacked by this :shock:

Me too (gobsmacked) and I just hope that common sense prevails :shock:

I actually see Colwill doing the better job going forward... :thumbup:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Forever Blue » Tue May 04, 2021 3:11 pm

Sven wrote:

For me it’s a NO and if we intend to even try for the play -offs then we need loan players like Harry Wilson, not injury prone players, we have had enough of them and Williams track record over the last 10 years is worse than awful.

Same here Chris :thumbright:

If this is really true?? as Glen Williams in my opinion writes a lot of real crap and never much true, but if true? Then I really worry for next season.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Tue May 04, 2021 3:31 pm

Come on Mick don’t treat the fans like idiots

Williams has shown absolutely nothing in the 4 months he has been here to show he can make an impact in the Championship
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Tue May 04, 2021 3:37 pm

Nooooooo
bluebirdoct1962

Postby bluesince62 » Tue May 04, 2021 3:55 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Sven wrote:

If this is really true?? as Glen Williams in my opinion writes a lot of real crap and never much true, but if true? Then I really worry for next season.

Having had a little mire time to digest this........... im still stumped ,but am in your camp, colwill 1st choice, and if Williams is here, as it its looking very likely, has to be a squad player at best, and 100% pay as you play!! If not........., some are saying moore, given better service, could most definitely got 25/30 goals, well what service would williams supply? I notice a topic by big hill blue, where he lists MM 's top all time playmakers, and along with the messi's etc at number ten. Is jw!!!!!! I have posted, ot must be from april for sure!!
bluesince62

Postby rumpo kid » Tue May 04, 2021 3:56 pm

He must mean the ‘other Harry Wilson’...brother of Bob

This means JW is worth £10M.. I’d cash in..
rumpo kid

Postby Welshman in CA » Tue May 04, 2021 3:57 pm

Maybe MM is being clever here & keeping the spotlight off the youngsters so there's not too much pressure on them. Just trying to think of any half sensible reason why he would say what he said.
Welshman in CA

Postby Big Hill Blue » Tue May 04, 2021 4:16 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Sven wrote:

Having had a little mire time to digest this........... im still stumped ,but am in your camp, colwill 1st choice, and if Williams is here, as it its looking very likely, has to be a squad player at best, and 100% pay as you play!! If not........., some are saying moore, given better service, could most definitely got 25/30 goals, well what service would williams supply? I notice a topic by big hill blue, where he lists MM 's top all time playmakers, and along with the messi's etc at number ten. Is jw!!!!!! I have posted, ot must be from april for sure!!

Apologies 62. Totally made up list to include JW.
Big Hill Blue

Postby llan bluebird » Tue May 04, 2021 4:46 pm

Do we even know what we look like next season?

Moore has shown his upward trajectory is continuing. By huge centre forward standards he is coming into his own, coupled with the late professional start so there are not many miles on the clock and really can't see one of the premier league teams taking a punt on him.

Williams is a ball carrier and passer, but for that to happen he needs the ball and we don't pass it that well. I see him as a bench or squad option, he can slow the game when we want to hold onto the ball and buy a few free kicks, but will we ever be that team under MM ?

If Keifer is still here i don't see how Williams fits as we get the ball to Kiefer rather direct and quickly. I'd play Harris there first just for his pace and energy. If Keifer is not here then we may have to rely on movement and Williams draws players to him.

He is definitely not a Wilson replacement as they are all signed to premier league clubs
llan bluebird

Postby Barclay1 » Tue May 04, 2021 4:56 pm

Is Mick towing the 'party line' here??
1st Game 24th Nov 1973 City v Bolton 1-0 (Gil Reece)
Barclay1

Postby Scoularite » Tue May 04, 2021 5:31 pm

by GENERAL CHAT » Tue May 04, 2021 2:15 pm

I had to check it was not April the first.

I did the same. :?: :?: :?:
Scoularite

Postby rumpo kid » Tue May 04, 2021 6:02 pm

Yeah he’s towing the party line.. Vincent has issued the Neil Harris book of quotes to MM..
rumpo kid

Postby skidemin » Tue May 04, 2021 6:21 pm

Barclay1 wrote:Is Mick towing the 'party line' here??

no idea what that bizarre remark was about ..but i think the party line is cost cutting and if your the manager your left with little choice...
skidemin

Postby nick_strin » Tue May 04, 2021 6:40 pm

Hope this is a wind up :lol:
Season ticket holder, Ninian Stand block 112.
nick_strin

Postby TopCat CCFC » Tue May 04, 2021 10:56 pm

Big Hill Blue wrote:Madness

They call it madness.

One Step Beyond ;)
TopCat CCFC

Postby Forever Blue » Wed May 05, 2021 8:16 am

The Cardiff City player who has just been given the biggest vote of confidence and the welcome transfer boost it brings Mick McCarthy

Cardiff City boss Mick McCarthy will want to put his stamp on his squad this summer but one priority already appears done and dusted

Bluebirds fans though will have to keep their fingers crossed that Jonny Williams keeps injury free all season as he has failed to do that at any previous clubs in the last ten years.

By Mathew Davies

Wednesday 5th May 2021

With the season all but over for intents and purposes for Cardiff City, Mick McCarthy has been asked quite a few questions about this summer's transfer plans.

Having arrived late in the January window, McCarthy and assistant Terry Connor didn't have much time to get their house in order in terms of recruitment.

But one player they did bring in was Jonny Williams, who the pair knew from their time at Ipswich Town.

And last week, when asked about how he would replace Williams' club and country team-mate Harry Wilson next season, McCarthy didn't hesitate in his response.

MICK McCARTHY:

"Jonny Williams is a perfect replacement for that," McCarthy said.

"Is he Harry Wilson? No, he's not, because he's not been to Hull and Derby and Bournemouth and Cardiff in the Championship.

"But Jonny, certainly, has got the ability to do that. So I'm not actively going out seeking for one of those."

It's a huge shot in the arm for Williams, a confidence player at the best of times for a player only use to playing in the lower leagues and having an awful track record of not being to play many games on a season.

With limited game-time under his belt and his short-term contract about to come to an end, it surely gives him the impetus to kick on in the Welsh capital next season.

One gets the impression that McCarthy is relishing the opportunity to put a stamp on this squad this summer, and although he has liked what he has seen from his first team and academy players since his arrival back in the winter, a period of reflection and subsequent movement in the transfer market will see this team built even more in its manager's image.

Not that the veteran gaffer is expecting much money to be spent, mind.

"I think people will have to generate money through sales and then you might have money to spend," he said last week.

"But there are going to be a lot of players who are going to be available, there are lots of players coming out of contract and we're on top of that for players who are.

"There are good players coming out of contract and you've just got to get in the market and see what you can afford and who can afford them.

"But in terms of spending most clubs are going to have to generate some money and it'll be an interesting window.

"I think [transfer windows] are always challenging. Whether it's clubs that have got money or haven't got money. Clubs that have got players coming out of contract, do they want to keep them, do they want to change their contracts?

"It's challenging every year. I don't see it being more difficult this year.

"It's always interesting, it's always quite exciting. It's great when you get the players you want, so I am looking forward to doing my work in it."

Williams has found himself behind Wilson and fellow Liverpool loanee Sheyi Ojo for the majority of the second half of the campaign but may now be afforded his time to shine.

The Welshman's short-term deal included an option to extend for another year and it would seem that, although no official confirmation has been announced, Williams will be a Bluebird next season.

The fact that McCarthy has a ready-made - or in his words "perfect" - replacement for Wilson in the shape of Williams also helps the manager in other areas.

A prominent playmaker would no doubt cost the club a seven-figure sum in the transfer market, which can now be ploughed into other positions of need.

McCarthy requires another striker, with Robert Glatzel on his way out, while full-back also remains a position he would like to strengthen, so not having the distraction of a wide/central attacker to recruit is a significant bonus.

Bluebirds supporters will now keep their fingers crossed that Williams can remain fit over the course of a whole season.
Attachments
BFCAD513-50A5-415E-85DE-BE43BD00C480.jpeg
BFCAD513-50A5-415E-85DE-BE43BD00C480.jpeg (126.98 KiB) Viewed 2416 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby nubbsy » Wed May 05, 2021 9:55 am

Just an ever lengthening list of worrying things to come out of Micks mouth.
nubbsy

Postby epping blue » Wed May 05, 2021 10:45 am

It reminds me of Rick Wright telling us that Carl Dale was a better player than Nathan Blake. To be fair to Mick though, its a fait accompli, he's not our player, he has to go back and he's trying to instil confidence in who we have left. Cant help but feel we didn't make the best use out of Wilson while he was here. That's both Harris and McCarthy. Oh and that wasn't supposed to be critical of Carl Dale.
epping blue

Postby Danny Says » Wed May 05, 2021 12:51 pm

Someone mentioned that to me yesterday and thought it was a joke. Reading it today makes me shudder.
If McCarthy seriously has any ambition for next season then someone’s got to tell him he can’t be serious and he’s got to find a proper footballer as our pivot.
I mean for crying outs sake, Williams is ok but a squad player at best with injury issues.
Danny Says

Postby JulesK » Wed May 05, 2021 1:42 pm

What a ridiculous thing to say, was seriously worried about MM extension at the time but this takes the biscuit !!! Not having a go at Williams here but he has injury issues, is never going to complete a full season let alone a Tuesday/Saturday rotation, no where near enough in goal scoring from midfield and his beard needs sorting.
Keeping the Faith since '74.
JulesK

Postby Sven » Wed May 05, 2021 3:53 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Sven wrote:

Well, if Glenn Williams is the 'Yes Man' I am told he is, then he will 'spin' accordingly, Annis... ;) :(
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Sven » Wed May 05, 2021 3:55 pm

nubbsy wrote:Just an ever lengthening list of worrying things to come out of Micks mouth.

Someone asked if we'd ever seen Mick and Big Hill Blue in the same room...? :?

Well, I know I haven't, so that leaves the question... ;) :laughing6:
Sven

Postby Pulisnewport » Thu May 06, 2021 9:29 am

Sven wrote:
nubbsy wrote:Just an ever lengthening list of worrying things to come out of Micks mouth.

Someone asked if we'd ever seen Mick and Big Hill Blue in the same room...? :?

Well, I know I haven't, so that leaves the question... ;) :laughing6:

Hi Chris, I think we all know Williams won’t last a full season and we cannot expect Colwill to be the main player in that position. IMO MM is just doing a smoke screen and I am aware that if Sheff Wed get relegated we are interested in at least 4 of their players, watch this space. :ayatollah:
Pulisnewport

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat