STEVE COOPER CLOSING IN ON PREMIER LEAGUE JOB

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:12 pm

Swansea City boss Steve Cooper has reportedly had ‘two interviews’ for the Crystal Palace job with an appointment now looking ‘close’, reports Football Insider.

Cooper, 41, has been strongly linked with the Crystal Palace job throughout the year. His Swansea City side have just condemned themselves to another season in the Championship after crashing out of the play-offs for a second season running.

Last month, Cooper’s agent was reported to have been spotted at Selhurst Park before The Sun on Sunday claimed that Cooper and his coaching staff in South Wales had a hefty £4.5million compensation package.

Also being linked with the Palace job is former Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe.

He was in pole position to take over at Celtic. The move was seemingly waiting on Bournemouth’s play-off fate to be uncovered but soon after, Howe had reportedly turned down the job with it widely expected that he couldn’t obtain his Bournemouth backroom team.

For Swansea City, Cooper’s departure could be just the tip of the iceberg this summer. Following another season of play-off heartache, the Swans could now lose a host of their top players with several loans expiring, and the likes of Andre Ayew coming to the end of their contracts.

As for Howe, the whole Celtic saga will have shone him in a bad light but that won’t stop him from being linked with vacant jobs.

His Bournemouth showing remains one of the best managerial achievements this country has ever seen and it only seems a matter of time before he’s back in work. Palace though seem to be honing in on Cooper – the only real positive for the Swans is the reported compensation package that they’re due to be owed should the appointment go through.
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: STEVE COOPER CLOING IN ON PREMIER LEAGUE JOB

Postby Sven » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:14 pm

And so it begins.... :thumbright: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Palace appear to have cooled their interest in Eddie Howe after his dalliance with Celtic but are also reported to have spoken to former Wolves manager Nuno Espirito Santo...
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Re: STEVE COOPER CLOSING IN ON PREMIER LEAGUE JOB

Postby Ian Gibson fanclub » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:53 pm

Quite likely as I don't think Parish will be worried about him copping off with Sussana Reid
Ian Gibson fanclub

Postby worcester_ccfc » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:21 pm

Sven wrote:And so it begins.... :thumbright: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Palace appear to have cooled their interest in Eddie Howe after his dalliance with Celtic but are also reported to have spoken to former Wolves manager Nuno Espirito Santo...

Nuno is apparently Eveton's first choice, and I expect he'd prefer that job to Palace - lots of money to spend at Everton.

Cooper would be a good fit for Palace, I think. The Jacks might appreciate he's a good manager who has done a great job there when he's gone.

Eddie Howe needs to remember he's not Sir Alex Ferguson, he isn't a world-class manager with a huge reputation - he just did a good job at Bournemouth, but struggled at Burnley - and be a bit more reasonable when negotiating job offers that come in.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby Sven » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:04 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:

Nuno is apparently Eveton's first choice, and I expect he'd prefer that job to Palace - lots of money to spend at Everton.

Cooper would be a good fit for Palace, I think. The Jacks might appreciate he's a good manager who has done a great job there when he's gone.

Eddie Howe needs to remember he's not Sir Alex Ferguson, he isn't a world-class manager with a huge reputation - he just did a good job at Bournemouth, but struggled at Burnley - and be a bit more reasonable when negotiating job offers that come in.

Ned, I couldn't agree with you more...

Nuno to Everton and Cooper to Palace a good fit for all concerned...

Eddie Howe, a shoe-in for the Palace job until he 'played' with Celtic, has soiled his own nest and looks to have missed out...

Swans 'sunny weather' support has shown it will never appreciate much even when it's gone and it's a compliment to him (Cooper) that the more educated Bluebird support appreciate the job he's done many times more than they do/did...

Reality check for them next season no matter who is in charge and I think Steve Cooper knows his stock will never be higher...

Good luck to him, I say... :clap: :ayatollah:
Sven

Postby Welsh Exile » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:44 pm

Odds of 7/1 with Betfred by all accounts.
Welsh Exile

Postby TopCat CCFC » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:08 pm

Ian Gibson fanclub wrote:Quite likely as I don't think Parish will be worried about him copping off with Sussana Reid

Some Would ;)
TopCat CCFC

Postby nubbsy » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:52 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:

That's why he wants all his old staff!
nubbsy

Postby stickywicket » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:18 pm

What's he ever one????
stickywicket

Postby RYANBLUE » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:27 pm

Well I hope he goes, then I hope they get someone that’s shit as whatever they do always turns out rosy... bout time they suffered a bit imo
RYANBLUE

Postby Sven » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:23 pm

RYANBLUE wrote:Well I hope he goes, then I hope they get someone that’s shit as whatever they do always turns out rosy... bout time they suffered a bit imo

I've recommended Neil 'Arris with Big Hill Blue as his No.2 and the money man B£ue £agoon as Financial Director; that should do it... :thumbup: :D
Sven

Postby Bluebina » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:01 pm

I'm not sure he's that good?

Yes he has some brilliant contacts from his England role, but the teams wouldn't lend those players to premiership rivals, I'd say he has been good for Swansea but has already reached his top level, and as his contacts dry up will start to go backwards from here.
Bluebina

Postby Danny Says » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:19 pm

Palace fans must be very concerned- they’ll be expecting someone a lot more high profile and experienced - and not so ugly :P
Danny Says

Postby Sven » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:57 pm

Danny Says wrote:Palace fans must be very concerned- they’ll be expecting someone a lot more high profile and experienced - and not so ugly :P

Looks like they got one, too; with Nuno Espirito Sanco about to sign a contract to manage Palace, as Steve Cooper looks to have missed out on this one...
Sven

Postby AfricanBluebird » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:05 am

Bluebina wrote:I'm not sure he's that good?

Yes he has some brilliant contacts from his England role, but the teams wouldn't lend those players to premiership rivals, I'd say he has been good for Swansea but has already reached his top level, and as his contacts dry up will start to go backwards from here.

Swansea fans weren't particularly happy with his decision making or approach on occasions.

Imagine getting to the play off final and not having a single shot on target. Furthermore, he took off their best creative player and set piece taker.

I would be absolutely fuming if city got to a major final and couldn't muster a single shot on target.

So yeah, I think he did ok initially but certainly not Premier league quality at this stage..

PS... and he's a liar.. we all know he used to come and watch city with his father!
AfricanBluebird

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:48 pm

Back in running for palace job
pembroke allan

Postby Igovernor » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:40 pm

Steve Cooper and Sean Dyche are back in the running for the Crystal Palace job after the Eagles ended their interest in Nuno Espirito Santo.

Palace’s move to appoint Nuno has broken down after the two parties were unable to reach an agreement despite talks over the past week.

The Eagles will now explore alternative options and will consider moves for Swansea manager Cooper and Burnley boss Dyche.

Cooper emerged as a leading candidate when Palace announced Roy Hodgson would be leaving his position as manager at Selhurst Park, particularly due to his work with young players having won the Under-17 World Cup with England in 2017.
It has been reported that Dyche is set to sign a new contract at Burnley but Palace could now renew their interest in a man they looked at hiring in 2012 just after he had taken the Turf Moor job.

Eddie Howe and Frank Lampard are also candidates for Palace, with Lampard keen to get back into work after being sacked by Chelsea in January.

Ex-Bournemouth coach Howe, meanwhile, is on the hunt for a job after talks with Celtic ended.
Igovernor

Return to General Chat