Jonny Williams' Cardiff City exit explained as Bluebirds

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:37 pm

Jonny Williams' Cardiff City exit explained as Bluebirds look elsewhere to fill huge void left by Liverpool's Harry Wilson

Many Bluebirds fans were surprised to see the playmaker among those released by the club this week after Mick McCarthy has spoken highly of him

The Bluebirds hierarchy cutting their wage bill, is mainly the reason behind the decision.

By Tom Coleman

Thursday 3rd June 2021

Jonny Williams is leaving Cardiff City (Image: Huw Evans Picture Agency)
"Jonny Williams is a perfect replacement for that."

So said Cardiff City boss Mick McCarthy recently when quizzed on how to fill the huge Harry Wilson-shaped hole that was opening up this summer.

The timing of those comments, so close to the end of the season, appeared to be a significant transfer hint.

With just one league start to his name since his January arrival, it wouldn't ordinarily have been a shock to see Williams among those released by the Bluebirds this week, but McCarthy's public backing of the player suggested there were big plans in place for him next season.

However, Williams becomes a free agent next to Junior Hoilett, Joe Bennett and, of course, Sol Bamba, who also depart the club.

The Cardiff City exits of those three aren't entirely unexpected, whilst disappointing for some.

Hoilett had fallen out of first-team favour and didn't fit into McCarthy's plans, Bennett's best years are arguably behind him, and Bamba is desperate to get another year of playing time under his belt, something he won't be guaranteed at Cardiff.

Those three were also high wage earners at the club.

Seeing Williams go, in light of what seemed a genuine enthusiasm to keep him at the club, has been far more of a head-scratcher for City fans.

The exact reasons for opting against a new deal for the 27-year-old Wales star are unclear, but it seems most likely to have been based around the Bluebirds hierarchy cutting their wage bill, with the news of his departure coming just a day before the club announced losses of around £12m.

With Williams playing just nine games during his short spell in the capital, and given his past injury record, perhaps Cardiff just didn't see him as good value for money.

The remarkable strides made by young Rubin Colwill will also have been factored in, a home-grown player who has wowed the Bluebirds and Wales and should get plenty of Championship game-time next season.

A new No.10 to replace Wilson has also been targeted and will probably come in during the transfer window.

The Bluebirds haven't even totally given up on the outside prospect of Wilson himself returning for another year, although as things stand that appears unlikely.

Whatever, it is evident Bluebirds bosses see others as a better option to Williams, who possesses the craft to unpick defences but will have to look elsewhere for his football next season.

For what it's worth, Williams is understood to be disappointed to leave the club, and hasn't yet given too much thought over his next move. We're told the upcoming Euro 2020 campaign with Wales is the only thing on the agenda right now.

Could Cardiff still offer Williams a deal later down the line? The possibility has been described as unlikely so far.

As such, this does seem to be the end of Williams as a Cardiff player.

He'll focus on having a good campaign with Wales, which will likely be seen as the ideal chance to prove a point and put himself in the shop window.

Whatever happens, one suspects a player of his talent won't be short of suitors.
Attachments
3915B2BE-F005-4714-9BD2-DC9671489071.jpeg
3915B2BE-F005-4714-9BD2-DC9671489071.jpeg (43.4 KiB) Viewed 6038 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Jonny Williams' Cardiff City exit explained as Bluebirds

Postby Winchmore Hill Bluebird » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:00 pm

The report by Tom Coleman tells us nothing new. Many of us on this board could have scribed it based upon what we have already been told and read! The City obviously don’t want to take a chance on such an injury prone player, quite rightly in my opinion.
Winchmore Hill Bluebird

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:49 pm

Winchmore Hill Bluebird wrote:The report by Tom Coleman tells us nothing new. Many of us on this board could have scribed it based upon what we have already been told and read! The City obviously don’t want to take a chance on such an injury prone player, quite rightly in my opinion.

Spot on :thumbright:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Big Hill Blue » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:58 pm

McCarthy needs to admit culpability as he signed this sicknote
Big Hill Blue

Postby skidemin » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:23 am

Big Hill Blue wrote:McCarthy needs to admit culpability as he signed this sicknote

all transfers are gambles and this one did not cost much....
skidemin

Postby nojac » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:24 am

We took over his contract , £2k a week . Which in football terms isn't a lot , I think he was probably brought in as cover only.
nojac

Postby Nin Ian » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:50 am

Big Hill Blue wrote:McCarthy needs to admit culpability as he signed this sicknote

I think that people need to show more respect to a player who has contributed a great deal to Welsh football and, when able, to the club's he has played for. Being injury prone is not something he would have wished for.
Nin Ian

Postby bluesince62 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:13 pm

Nin Ian wrote:

I think that people need to show more respect to a player who has contributed a great deal to Welsh football and, when able, to the club's he has played for. Being injury prone is not something he would have wished for.

Nor being bang average,but he is!
He cost 50k so no real biggy, glad we released him tbf,dont wish him ill, just dont rate him.
bluesince62

Postby bluesince62 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:19 pm

Also in this article,he states many fans were suprised we released him, really ??
bluesince62

Postby New Day Rising » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:01 pm

Bit confused about all the fuss , his best days are behind him, he is an ageing player therefore effecting his hustle bustle high energy game , he has had injury issues ,came in as aback up , if you add all that up it makes perfect sense, I'm guessing he was only brought in on a mutually agreed short term basis anyway .
New Day Rising

Postby TopCat CCFC » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:36 pm

nojac wrote:We took over his contract , £2k a week . Which in football terms isn't a lot , I think he was probably brought in as cover only.

Agree .
TopCat CCFC

Return to General Chat