Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ Public Swipe at Gareth Bale “

Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:27 am

Sacked Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho takes public swipe at Gareth Bale but praises Man Utd star

Bale and Mourinho had issues at Tottenham during the season, and the Portuguese manager couldn't resist a dig as he made his Euro 2020 predictions

By Jon Doel

Saturday 5th June 2021

Gareth Bale with Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho
Axed Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho has taken a thinly-veiled swipe at Gareth Bale ahead of Euro 2020.

Writing in his special Euros column for The Sun, Mourinho claimed Bale had struggled against the top teams despite his impressive goal-scoring record during his season-long loan with the club.

Mourinho, of course, was manager for most that time, regularly ignoring what Bale had to offer amid apparent tension behind the scenes.

The Portuguese was eventually sacked in April, while Bale went on to score 16 goals and finish the season with the best goals-per-minute ratio in the Premier League – a strike rate of 1.07 goals per game

Giving his verdict on Wales' European Championship hopes, Mourinho said: "Over the years Wales have relied a lot on Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey, the two most talented players in the country.

"But when I look to the club season and how many matches Ramsey played at Juventus... there were lots of injuries.

"When we look to Gareth and how many great performances he had, how many goals he scored against the best teams, there were not many or none.

"It’s not an easy situation for a country without many options.

"But they are always well organised and know how to create a situation to try to get the best out of the more talented players.

"Dan James is fast and is the one that can break defenders.

"With the small group of players they are doing amazingly well, so lots of respect.

"But it will be hard for them even to qualify for the next phase."

The majority of Bale's goals did come against teams in the lower half of the Premier League, or in Cup competitions, but he did net a superb brace against high-flying Leicester City on the final day of the season.

It remains to be seen where Bale plays his football next season, amid rumours he could even retire. That scenario, though, appears highly unlikely.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: “ Public Swipe at Gareth Bale “

Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:33 pm

Is it really a swipe or just an opinion? Not much if anything to disagree with as far as I can see.

Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:16 pm

Best goals to minute ratio! Nuff said really.

Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:55 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:Is it really a swipe or just an opinion? Not much if anything to disagree with as far as I can see.

How many games did josė play him against top teams? Can only score in games that you play. and by any standards his goals record stands against any striker in premier league this season.....plus hotvuo take into consideration Josè defensive style of play... :old:

Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:05 pm

bluesince62 wrote:Best goals to minute ratio! Nuff said really.

Can you image what his goal ratio is going to be here next season...! ;) :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :laughing6:

Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:09 pm

Sven wrote:

Can you image what his goal ratio is going to be here next season...! ;) :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :laughing6:

:lol: :ayatollah:

I would imagine it will be no goals in no games.

Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:51 pm

davids wrote:
Sven wrote:

;) :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:00 pm

Sven wrote:
davids wrote:
Sven wrote:

;) :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

If MM picks him, he will score.

:D :bluebird:

Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:59 pm

Sven wrote:

I though we'd agreed to keep it hush hush Chris?? Now you've done it!!

Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:57 am

Welshman in CA wrote:Is it really a swipe or just an opinion? Not much if anything to disagree with as far as I can see.

i dont see any swipe there either.....its a conversation about our chances in the EUROS..

Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:47 pm

I’m guessing the swipe is "When we look to Gareth and how many great performances he had, how many goals he scored against the best teams, there were not many or none”

Although I wouldn’t say it’s a swipe as he’s not really wrong. Most of Bale’s goals were against teams below 10th. It’s a bit hypocritical of Mou though considering against the top 6 “best teams” Spurs only won 2, drew 2 and lost 7 so it’s not as if Bale was underperforming in a good performing Spurs side.