Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The potential impacts on Cardiff City if possible £15m exit

Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:52 am

The potential impacts on Cardiff City if possible £15m exit materialises

By Ned Holmes

Saturday 6th June 2021

Kieffer Moore played a starring role for Cardiff City last term, scoring 20 times in what was his debut season in the Welsh capital.

The 28-year-old’s future with the Bluebirds is not beyond doubt, however, as Wales Online has reported that due to the financial state of the club they’ll entertain offers for him in the region of £15 million.

That’s a lot of money to spend on a Championship striker but should someone snap him up, what would it mean for Mick McCarthy and his squad?

We’ve examined just that by highlighting the potential impacts of his possible departure…

More money should be available to improve the rest of the squad? But very unlikely.

Though the reasoning for the sale is due to the financial situation at the club, you feel Moore’s departure would likely mean more money is available for McCarthy to invest in other parts of the squad.

There was a significant upturn in form after the experienced boss’ arrival back in January but he needs to be given more help in shaping his club.

It seems as though McCarthy wouldn’t see the majority of the money for transfer, but the sale should give him more flexibility this summer.

James Collins and Max Watters would need to step up

Moore’s departure would allow Cardiff’s only summer signing to this point to step up as their first choice striker.

Snapping up Luton Town’s James Collins on a free transfer looks a very shrewd bit of business and it may prove a masterstroke if they do indeed cash in on the 28-year-old.

He’s proven his quality as a goalscorer for the Hatters but it’ll certainly be a test if he’s asked to lead the line for a club pushing for Championship promotion.

It may also mean that more impetus is placed on 22-year-old Max Watters, who signed from Crawley Town in January.

Max Watters is yet to prove himself in the Championship, with McCarthy not really having much faith in the striker.

Attacking reinforcements would be needed

With Harry Wilson and Sheyi Ojo both returning to Liverpool at the end of the loan deals, Cardiff have already lost two of their key attacking players from last term and the departure of Moore would be another blow.

Money may well be tight but there’s no doubt that the Bluebirds would have to sign some more attacking reinforcements should their towering target man depart.

A potential shift in strategy

No player in the Championship won more aerial duels than Moore last season (Whoscored) and that was in part due to McCarthy playing to his strengths playing a more direct style.

Collins is no slouch in the air but he’s not quite at Moore’s level and his exit may mean that the strategy has to be adapted slightly as a result.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: The potential impacts on Cardiff City if possible £15m e

Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:23 am

We have spent years and loads of money trying to find a decent striker. We finally find one for not much money and the club are now saying if we can make a profit on him we'll sell. Shows where the club's current ambitions are.

Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:42 am

JB1 wrote:We have spent years and loads of money trying to find a decent striker. We finally find one for not much money and the club are now saying if we can make a profit on him we'll sell. Shows where the club's current ambitions are.

It is all paper talk, no one at the club has said we would sell for £15m, although it is obvious in todays climate that if ridiculous offer came in we would possibly accept it. What that offer would be is anyones guess.
Wales online :lol: do you honestly believe anything that rag writes? :thumbup:

Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:37 pm

Hopefully we won't get to find out how much they'd accept. Realistically, I can't see the cub turning an offer of £10m, let alone £15m.

Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:46 pm

JB1 wrote:Hopefully we won't get to find out how much they'd accept. Realistically, I can't see the cub turning an offer of £10m, let alone £15m.

£10m for a championship 20 goal striker, there is no way that the club would accept that!

Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:47 pm

JB1 wrote:Hopefully we won't get to find out how much they'd accept. Realistically, I can't see the cub turning an offer of £10m, let alone £15m.

It may be heresy on here but I don't think any premier league club would buy him for either £10 or £15 million as they would regard him as a good championship player but not premier league standard. Also if you put him in the team you are almost obligated to play a certain type of football which isn't really played by premier league clubs or at international level hence Page being reluctant to start him.

Moore is a very good championship player who has found his level and the right club for him. Can't see him going anywhere.

Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:58 pm

Igovernor wrote:

£10m for a championship 20 goal striker, there is no way that the club would accept that!

As they accepted £500k for Pato, I don't see why not. Just my opinion :)

Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:14 pm

JB1 wrote:We have spent years and loads of money trying to find a decent striker. We finally find one for not much money and the club are now saying if we can make a profit on him we'll sell. Shows where the club's current ambitions are.

the club.....?..its a football league world article written by { ned somebody } who is quoting a Wales online opinion/guess... WOL no doubt will rehash the football league world article at some point this week with no quotes from anyone other than this ned bloke....

agree with the sentiment though... never have or will understand fans being wound up about what would be a good price..... if the club need cash thats different we have to accept them selling... but i dont grasp any price for a player that works out { most do not } being a good price its not like we fans gain... we buy worse players and get a worse team...

Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:22 pm

A perfect signing for Burnley and wouldn't be surprised to see a 15m offer come from them

Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:32 pm

JB1 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:

I see so patto scored a 20 goal season before we sold him £500k, cannot compare the two!

Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:34 pm

Crayfish wrote:

It may be heresy on here but I don't think any premier league club would buy him for either £10 or £15 million as they would regard him as a good championship player but not premier league standard. Also if you put him in the team you are almost obligated to play a certain type of football which isn't really played by premier league clubs or at international level hence Page being reluctant to start him.

Moore is a very good championship player who has found his level and the right club for him. Can't see him going anywhere.

So when he came on last night the team were not passing the ball around better and he was not bringing other players intothe game, I suppose you saw that when he came on we were hitting long balls, and not playing it like they were :lol:

Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:39 pm

Igovernor wrote:
JB1 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:

I see so patto scored a 20 goal season before we sold him £500k, cannot compare the two!

Pato scored 10 in 32 for us in the championship, the club valued him at £500k on that basis, I believe the businessmen who run the football club would readily accept £15m or less for somebody who scored 20 in 42. At the end of the day, they will look at £10m plus of profit to offset our losses. VT is no Daniel Levy. Replacements lined up in the form of Collins, Harris and Watters. He'll probably expect the transfer committee to find another Kieffer for £1m. :)

Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:50 pm

JB1 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:
JB1 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:

Pato scored 10 in 32 for us in the championship, the club valued him at £500k on that basis, I believe the businessmen who run the football club would readily accept £15m or less for somebody who scored 20 in 42. At the end of the day, they will look at £10m plus of profit to offset our losses. VT is no Daniel Levy. Replacements lined up in the form of Collins, Harris and Watters. He'll probably expect the transfer committee to find another Kieffer for £1m. :)

the year he scored 10 he was our top scorer in the league , we won promotion and he hardly played as a striker....

Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:58 pm

skidemin wrote:
JB1 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:
JB1 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:

the year he scored 10 he was our top scorer in the league , we won promotion and he hardly played as a striker....

8 in 43 for a relegated Wednesday side - valued at £500k by our club. To be honest, the club probably put the £15m figure out there so Tan wouldn't be tempted by a lower offer. I guess nobody will no what figure will tempt Mr Tan until it happens..

Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:13 pm

"I'm never going down the City again if we sell Toshack / Moore!" :bluescarf:

Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:43 pm

Igovernor wrote:
Crayfish wrote:

So when he came on last night the team were not passing the ball around better and he was not bringing other players intothe game, I suppose you saw that when he came on we were hitting long balls, and not playing it like they were :lol:

I actually agree with you and think Wales were better with him in the team but I don't think premier managers see it. I think possibly they think it will be seen as a retrograde step to play with a othodox centre forward. Possibly a Burnley or a WBA might think about it but not many others