Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What kind of direction is the club heading?

Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:40 am

Does anyone know what the plans/ambitions for the club are at present? Genuine question as I've not kept up to date with us for a while now?

Are we building for the future with some young up and coming signings?

Cost cutting and putting a team together on the cheap to look for a safe midtable finish?

Or are we as a club looking towards a top 6 finish/promotion season?

Cheers :thumbup:

Re: What kind of direction is the club heading?

Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:33 pm

Well for me it’s as plain as day the direction we are going.

We are loaning players and bringing in out of contract players due to the current situation.

Cheap and cheerful, journeyman types mostly which has to be the way we’re told. Some half decent youngsters I hope.

Mick will do his best to make us competitive and grind along for the season. Of course, we’ll be told the play-offs are our aim and rightly so.

It’s not rocket science to see our aims or direction at present.

Hopefully though we’ll smash up the league, play fast flowing and scintillating football and we’ll all be happy!

:bluescarf:

Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:36 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:Well for me it’s as plain as day the direction we are going.

We are loaning players and bringing in out of contract players due to the current situation.

Cheap and cheerful, journeyman types mostly which has to be the way we’re told. Some half decent youngsters I hope.

Mick will do his best to make us competitive and grind along for the season. Of course, we’ll be told the play-offs are our aim and rightly so.

It’s not rocket science to see our aims or direction at present.

Hopefully though we’ll smash up the league, play fast flowing and scintillating football and we’ll all be happy!

:bluescarf:

it does look that way.... but.... hardly any championship clubs have been any busier than we have { mostly signing out of contract players } and our signings last season were quite late in the window... i still have my fingers crossed that we get a couple in...

Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:08 pm

Plenty of opinions on here.

Every single club, not just ours has been affected by COVID. We should be far better financially prepared than most, but for whatever reason we are not.

Loans, frees and kids is what this year is about. Saving money is what this year is about. Progression is most certainly NOT what this year is about. The ownership have no interest in the club as far as I'm concerned, and couldn't care less where we end up.

That's my view, Others will be different

Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:17 pm

Barclay1 wrote:Plenty of opinions on here.

Every single club, not just ours has been affected by COVID. We should be far better financially prepared than most, but for whatever reason we are not.

Loans, frees and kids is what this year is about. Saving money is what this year is about. Progression is most certainly NOT what this year is about. The ownership have no interest in the club as far as I'm concerned, and couldn't care less where we end up.

Why should we be far better financially prepared than most? Because of our 2 PL seasons in the last 10 years? Plenty of teams have spent just as long or much longer in the PL than us in that timeframe. West Brom, Fulham, Swansea, Bournemouth, QPR, Hull, just to name a few off the top of my head.
They're all also being financially safe in this window same as we are. The window doesn't close for nearly 2 months, surely you can't compare our business with other clubs at this stage?

Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:50 pm

As you said, plenty of opinions on here, including yours; or is it? ;)

Some will be right, some will be wrong and if the hierarchy are not giving out information, it's all guesswork...

If someone takes the opposing view of another, one (of them) has to be right at some point, eh?

Even a broken clock is right twice a day...! :thumbright:

Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:24 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:

Why should we be far better financially prepared than most? Because of our 2 PL seasons in the last 10 years? Plenty of teams have spent just as long or much longer in the PL than us in that timeframe. West Brom, Fulham, Swansea, Bournemouth, QPR, Hull, just to name a few off the top of my head.
They're all also being financially safe in this window same as we are. The window doesn't close for nearly 2 months, surely you can't compare our business with other clubs at this stage?

I do believe our Latest Premiership jaunt and the parachute payments that came with it should allow us to be in a stronger financial position than most, but not all.

Certainly more so than Swansea, QPR and Hull.

It may be a tad early, yes, to compare, but In my opinion, I cant see those who run CCFC changing much from the approach they have adopted thus far.

All opinions though, and I respect yours.

Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:29 pm

Sven wrote:

As you said, plenty of opinions on here, including yours; or is it? ;)

Some will be right, some will be wrong and if the hierarchy are not giving out information, it's all guesswork...

If someone takes the opposing view of another, one (of them) has to be right at some point, eh?

Even a broken clock is right twice a day...! :thumbright:

Sven, We cant say we know each other as such, and I cannot disagree with what you say. :smile:

You probably know me well enough however to know these are my opinions, and that I understand we all have a different take on certain points and I, like you, respect opinions :thumbup:

Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:40 pm

Barclay1 wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:

I do believe our Latest Premiership jaunt and the parachute payments that came with it should allow us to be in a stronger financial position than most, but not all.

Certainly more so than Swansea, QPR and Hull.

It may be a tad early, yes, to compare, but In my opinion, I cant see those who run CCFC changing much from the approach they have adopted thus far.

All opinions though, and I respect yours.

But we’re not the only club with parachute payments. 7 clubs including us are in the Championship who got relegated in the same season and seasons after us.
Stoke who got relegated one year before us spent 10 consecutive seasons in the PL. Swansea, also relegated 1 season before us, spent 7 consecutive seasons in the PL. They may no longer be receiving parachute payments but they have 10 seasons and 7 seasons of PL income compared to our 2 PL seasons.

Then you’ve got clubs like Bristol who have made something like £70m-£80m from player sales in the past few seasons.

Despite all this, they’re all doing the same as us. Loans and free transfers. Only 4 of the 24 Championship teams have paid for a player so far.
If come September time we’re the only club to have not spent or signed any exciting loans then fair enough that’s cause for concern, but I think it’s unfair to criticise the club currently when there’s so much time left.

Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:58 am

cs_original wrote:Does anyone know what the plans/ambitions for the club are at present? Genuine question as I've not kept up to date with us for a while now?

Are we building for the future with some young up and coming signings?

Cost cutting and putting a team together on the cheap to look for a safe midtable finish?

Or are we as a club looking towards a top 6 finish/promotion season?

Cheers :thumbup:

I think we are playing safe and hope for the best

We have a genuine manager who is proven at our level. Our last few signings appear sensible. The days of outspending other clubs appear well and truly over, we have a budget and we keep to it. Hopefully, the U23's have unearthed a few gems, especially if they are local as all fans love that.

I think most players who signed their contract before Covid are in for a shock as the world has changed and i doubt many clubs will want to return to high salaries.

I think most clubs are worried about the post Covid world. 18 months is a long time, habits have been broken so assuming we or other EFL clubs will return to normal crowds is IMO wishful thinking.

Not sure about the premier relegated teams but I assume most of the other championship teams are sitting on their hands and see which way the wind blows as well.

Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:53 am

My View:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=222818

Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:17 am

The club's direction is a sensible course considering what has happened over the past 17 months. The first and most important thing is to ensure that the club survives financially.

Secondly we should find value in any signings we make, no more Madine's (£6m) or Glatzel's (£5.5m).

Finally we do have a very good manager. I am optimistic about the coming season although I realise it is not going to be easy

Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:26 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:The club's direction is a sensible course considering what has happened over the past 17 months. The first and most important thing is to ensure that the club survives financially.

Secondly we should find value in any signings we make, no more Madine's (£6m) or Glatzel's (£5.5m).

Finally we do have a very good manager. I am optimistic about the coming season although I realise it is not going to be easy

all clubs sign players that do not work out as well as you would wish along with players that do ok....would be nice if we lived in a perfect world but we dont..

Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:25 am

Unless the club pulls a couple of rabbits out the hat in next few weeks then we aren't going to finish in the top half and could possibly find ourselves just above the drop zone. Its clear the club is cutting back massively - i dont blame them they have wasted millions- and talk of play offs is way off the mark.

Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:32 am

Have to agree without any further added quality out wide and a creative 10 I don’t see us finishing in the top half of the table though
Sincerely hope I am wrong though.

Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:50 am

skidemin wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:The club's direction is a sensible course considering what has happened over the past 17 months. The first and most important thing is to ensure that the club survives financially.

all clubs sign players that do not work out as well as you would wish along with players that do ok....would be nice if we lived in a perfect world but we dont..

Very true but the point is we should be getting better value for money. There are signs we are finally learning to do that.

Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:59 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Very true but the point is we should be getting better value for money. There are signs we are finally learning to do that.

Watters and Johnny ? seriously...in an ideal world id love us to be able to spend more not less ,unfortunately all transfers to an extent are gambles and therefore the more you spend the worse the mistakes look..

Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:54 pm

skidemin wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Watters and Johnny ? seriously...in an ideal world id love us to be able to spend more not less ,unfortunately all transfers to an extent are gambles and therefore the more you spend the worse the mistakes look..

Watters may yet come good. Johnny was a cost effective signing as cover (although he did get injured). I could point to the obvious Kiefer Moore, Dillon Phillips and Will Vaulks as excellent examples of recent value for money signings

Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:18 pm

skidemin wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Watters may yet come good. Johnny was a cost effective signing as cover (although he did get injured). I could point to the obvious Kiefer Moore, Dillon Phillips and Will Vaulks as excellent examples of recent value for money signings

yes they are which is my point... some work out good others not so....even when its the same scouts / managers/ committee that identify and sign what they consider good signings... personally i think we do ok compared to many clubs..who like us are all trying to get value for money...

Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:42 pm

Good Question :thumbup: :bluebird:

Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:40 am

Was hoping we would be heading up north and wanted to be exited about coming season but reading between the lines it seems that we could be heading down south .

Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:48 am

montyblue wrote:Was hoping we would be heading up north and wanted to be exited about coming season but reading between the lines it seems that we could be heading down south .

hmm.... what would it take for your views to be reversed ?

Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:04 pm

SKIDEMIN

Sorry for being a bit down about forthcoming season i suppose after last 2 season it would be nice just to get back to just watching live i will ha e to change attitude but with dripford dragging his feet loosing players like ojo holliet bennet wilson glatzel it felt very much like when we fell out of the prem loosing gunners camarasse etc it almost like a cycle of hope one mi ute and the next despair so i suppose will have to ride it and see where we end up.
And change attidude to a more positive
Up the city

Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:29 am

After no income for a season how many clubs can splash out on players wages (which are to high by far).
The way forward for many clubs has to be bringing youth through into the first team.
Not a plan for immediate promotion but possibly in the near future.
We wont be able to compete financially with the clubs relegated from the Premiership, who I expect to go straight back up.
But hey football is back so lets enjoy the ride. :occasion5:

Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:42 am

I think it's pretty obvious. We are trying to sort of reset the club.
Weve gone from spending a fortune on wages for under preforming big names. To getting young hungry potential players.

I think it was needed and all. Quite a few clubs have done the above and been very successful

Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:42 pm

montyblue wrote:SKIDEMIN

Sorry for being a bit down about forthcoming season i suppose after last 2 season it would be nice just to get back to just watching live i will ha e to change attitude but with dripford dragging his feet loosing players like ojo holliet bennet wilson glatzel it felt very much like when we fell out of the prem loosing gunners camarasse etc it almost like a cycle of hope one mi ute and the next despair so i suppose will have to ride it and see where we end up.
And change attidude to a more positive
Up the city

im not overly enthusiastic about our prospects either ..but am about attending games....was just interested in your reasons ... i agree on the face of it , its a bit of a downgrade.. but who knows as last time we went up our signings were al;most all from clubs who finished beneath us the previous season and absolutely nobody thought us good enough to be there after 46 games...