MICK McCARTHY ON LEE TOMLIN & ISAAC VASSELL

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:47 pm

Monday 19th July 2021

MICK McCARTHY:

"Nether of them [Tomlin and Vassell] are back at the level where they could do 90 minutes in the Championship, but they're getting there and they're trying their hardest.”

"They're working at it and that's what I'm impressed with."

“Last season Tomlin was way of the mark in the type of fitness I expect.”

Then again, it's not just his manager that Tomlin might need to win over during the next few weeks.

The findings of a recent WalesOnline survey suggested that many Cardiff fans are perhaps ready for City to cash in this summer.

That scenario seems unlikely at this stage, but it's a verdict that perhaps goes to show how quickly a good campaign can be forgotten.

Many fans will understandably point to Tomlin's injury record and question whether he's a player that can be counted on for a full 46 games in the Championship.

Tomlin had struggled with all his previous six clubs to be able to get through a full season.

It's an inescapably reasonable point - one that has perhaps crossed McCarthy's mind too, although there's little sign of concern.

Could Lee Tomlin be the man to inspire a promotion push next season?

These games were against Bath City and Cambridge, so more difficult games to come, but more time for Tomlin to get fully fit.

As McCarthy has no funds he could well depend on Tomlin to finally shine.

MICK McCARTHY:

"It might be a bit part for them in some games, because if they [Tomlin and Vassell] can't manage 90 minutes, they've both got ability, they could be the subs that come on and make a difference."

"We've worked hard this week. It's all about getting ready for the first game of the season, and I've been delighted with the players' response. They've come back in good shape."

Lee Tomlin having spent so long on the sidelines, one would hope that Tomlin himself wouldn't be content with a place on the bench to start his Championship season off.

If he can replicate anything like the form displayed during that stunning season under Neil Harris, the concerns and the naysaying will soon evaporate.

Oh, and that's before you get on to the potential for a truly devastating partnership with Kieffer Moore, who has similarly mastered the art of creating something special out of nothing.

An attacking duo of Tomlin and Moore firing on all cylinders would really be a frightening prospect.

There's a long way to go, but after so much frustration over the last nine months, there's perhaps cause for a little bit of optimism and maybe just maybe Tomlin can start to repay the Bluebird faithful back and the club for the last few years he has been here and many being so patient with him.
Attachments
58AAEE69-26C5-41F7-87A5-395BF46F8A75.jpeg
58AAEE69-26C5-41F7-87A5-395BF46F8A75.jpeg (195.65 KiB) Viewed 5825 times
DC218356-2C50-4D3E-8D8B-65630D7F00CF.jpeg
DC218356-2C50-4D3E-8D8B-65630D7F00CF.jpeg (42.64 KiB) Viewed 5852 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: MICK McCARTHY ON LEE TOMLIN & ISAAC VASSELL

Postby Scoularite » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:54 am

A bit worrying to hear that Tomlin still isn't fully fit as we haven't brought anybody creative into midfield.
Scoularite

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:57 am

Scoularite wrote:A bit worrying to hear that Tomlin still isn't fully fit as we haven't brought anybody creative into midfield.

Shows how unfit he must have been I suppose. Plus, MM said something like he was t fit enough to get into his team and I’m taking that as he’s going to be expected to chase and cover as well as the creative stuff.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:02 am

Replies FB
Attachments
FD39E419-BED0-48B3-BD1C-39827F93CDA7.jpeg
FD39E419-BED0-48B3-BD1C-39827F93CDA7.jpeg (458.2 KiB) Viewed 3364 times
0F747F3A-38EE-46E2-890C-A57D0AD28A3C.jpeg
0F747F3A-38EE-46E2-890C-A57D0AD28A3C.jpeg (376.05 KiB) Viewed 3366 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby piledriver64 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:02 am

I can't help but have more sympathy for Vassell than I do for Tomlin.

Vassell is just let down by his body constantly. If he could avoid injuries then his actual physical condition is in a pretty good place.

What frustrates me with Tomlin is not so much the injuries themselves but once he's recovered from those he is so far off in his general fitness levels that it almost doubles the time he's not available for selection.

Surely you would do everything you could to stay reasonably fit and keep your weight down even during injury rehab ?
piledriver64

Postby nubbsy » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:42 pm

Looking at our midfield as it stands, if Tomlin is not fit we can look forward to some seriously dire/flat football.
nubbsy

Postby Barclay1 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:57 pm

Whereas what you say about Tomlin and Vassell has varying degrees of truth, I have to say an unfit Tomlin can change a game in the short amount of time he is on the pitch. Vassell too to a lesser degree.

Looks like MM is preparing the fans for these two to leave and be permanently replaced by more unproven kids.
1st Game 24th Nov 1973 City v Bolton 1-0 (Gil Reece)
Barclay1

Postby skidemin » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:33 pm

Barclay1 wrote:Whereas what you say about Tomlin and Vassell has varying degrees of truth, I have to say an unfit Tomlin can change a game in the short amount of time he is on the pitch. Vassell too to a lesser degree.

Looks like MM is preparing the fans for these two to leave and be permanently replaced by more unproven kids.

we have zero choice in honouring the contracts of both these players and hope for the best...... but can you see any other club jumping into take them off our hands ?
put another way ,if they were with any other championship club how happy would you be if we were signing these 2 players off them....
skidemin

Postby Escott1927 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:51 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Scoularite wrote:A bit worrying to hear that Tomlin still isn't fully fit as we haven't brought anybody creative into midfield.

Shows how unfit he must have been I suppose. Plus, MM said something like he was t fit enough to get into his team and I’m taking that as he’s going to be expected to chase and cover as well as the creative stuff.

The trouble is, Tomlin will never be fit enough for Micks football. It was the same with warnock. He has never been that type of player. Tomlin is our most creative player and needs to be playing - even if its just 60mins.
Escott1927

Postby Escott1927 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:56 pm

nubbsy wrote:Looking at our midfield as it stands, if Tomlin is not fit we can look forward to some seriously dire/flat football.

Yep. we desperately needed to sign a creative player. The football was painful to watch with wilson and ojo playing and we haven't replaced them. Cant wait to get back in the ground but not looking forward to hoofball we can probably expect to see.
Escott1927

Postby Barclay1 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:09 pm

skidemin wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:Whereas what you say about Tomlin and Vassell has varying degrees of truth, I have to say an unfit Tomlin can change a game in the short amount of time he is on the pitch. Vassell too to a lesser degree.

we have zero choice in honouring the contracts of both these players and hope for the best...... but can you see any other club jumping into take them off our hands ?
put another way ,if they were with any other championship club how happy would you be if we were signing these 2 players off them....

No and no...... but I would play them both ahead of most if not all our youngsters who are not good enough.
Barclay1

Postby skidemin » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:35 pm

Barclay1 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

No and no...... but I would play them both ahead of most if not all our youngsters who are not good enough.

maybe a couple are good enough mate... its got to happen some time...
skidemin

Postby Barclay1 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:56 pm

skidemin wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

I agree it has to happen,and soon for a number of reasons not least financial. But we have nobody anywhere near a Ledley or Matthews, or a Ralls let alone a Gunter or Ramsey. I think Isaac Davies has potential, but thats it tbh. And, worryingly, I think MM kbows it too.

Most teams release kids they dont think will make the grade. We keep them and out them in the 1st team squad.

I understand the thought process I realy do, end of. But if they are not good enough, we have to start again until we find the kids to take us forward.

Please don't play them because it sounds good, is the right thing to do, or because they are cheap.
Barclay1

Postby skidemin » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:14 pm

Barclay1 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

I agree it has to happen,and soon for a number of reasons not least financial. But we have nobody anywhere near a Ledley or Matthews, or a Ralls let alone a Gunter or Ramsey. I think Isaac Davies has potential, but thats it tbh. And, worryingly, I think MM kbows it too.

Most teams release kids they dont think will make the grade. We keep them and out them in the 1st team squad.

I understand the thought process I realy do, end of. But if they are not good enough, we have to start again until we find the kids to take us forward.

Please don't play them because it sounds good, is the right thing to do, or because they are cheap.

tbh mate MM was put in a position { small squad and injuries } at the end of last season where he had to fill the bench with kids and play a few....not sure what else he could have done ... previously ..we havent outed to many in our first team as we have given very little game time to any youngsters in years..
skidemin

Postby Barclay1 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:30 pm

True last year we didnt have an option but to play youngsters due to Injuries.

If they are good enough, they play. Looking at their results in their own leagues last year and how each of them are able to influence a game, Im not at all confident.

My opinion? They are being played not because they are good enough, but because they are the new cheap option. Fair enough in one respect given the climate, but I have never known our club put quality so far down the list of requirements and as a fan it hurts. You can still get decent quality using free transfers.
Barclay1

Postby skidemin » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:20 pm

Barclay1 wrote:True last year we didnt have an option but to play youngsters due to Injuries.

If they are good enough, they play. Looking at their results in their own leagues last year and how each of them are able to influence a game, Im not at all confident.

My opinion? They are being played not because they are good enough, but because they are the new cheap option. Fair enough in one respect given the climate, but I have never known our club put quality so far down the list of requirements and as a fan it hurts. You can still get decent quality using free transfers.

there is still time...still some decent out of contract players out there { probably still available as their demands are currently to much } and very little has happened in the loan market...so its still early days
skidemin

Postby TopCat CCFC » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:40 pm

Not seen much of the above 2 players - the last year or so .... Let's see what happens this season .
TopCat CCFC

Postby bluesince62 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:17 pm

Escott1927 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

The trouble is, Tomlin will never be fit enough for Micks football. It was the same with warnock. He has never been that type of player. Tomlin is our most creative player and needs to be playing - even if its just 60mins.

I have slaggged him off in the past,but you are bang on! 60 mins from him is better than none, and he has the eye for the killer ball too.lets see how he goes first.
As for vassell?? Another suck it and see situation imho.
bluesince62

Postby piledriver64 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:43 am

bluesince62 wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

I have slaggged him off in the past,but you are bang on! 60 mins from him is better than none, and he has the eye for the killer ball too.lets see how he goes first.

If we could get 60 mins out of Tomlin I would agree with you.

However, for 18 months we've been lucky if he got through the warm up never mind 60 mins of Championship football and that's what will be causing McCarthy some concern.

Anyone know if we can still use 5 subs this season or are we reverting to 3 ?

If we can still use 5 then that increases Tomlin's chances of starting but if it's back to 3 that may be too risky for McCarthy and I could understand that concern.
piledriver64

Postby skidemin » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:55 am

piledriver64 wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

However, for 18 months we've been lucky if he got through the warm up never mind 60 mins of Championship football and that's what will be causing McCarthy some concern.

If we can still use 5 then that increases Tomlin's chances of starting but if it's back to 3 that may be too risky for McCarthy and I could understand that concern.

its been pretty much his entire time here.... even having lost quite a bit of weight in the final year of his contract and convincing NW to start him it was only 3 games before he was out injured... came back , picked up a knock at Millwall { for an hour in that game him and Junior were class } missed the jacks and on it goes.. was out and would have missed the end of our play off season if it hadnt been for covid....what a talent , but i have zero faith in him contributing much....

someone that should be a Cardiff City legend but will be remembered for other things..
skidemin

Postby Crayfish » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:19 am

piledriver64 wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

No we are back to only being able to use 3 subsistutes this season. Not a huge problem for us as MM never brings on a subsistute before the 70 th minutes and rarely used more than 3 last season even when he could.
Crayfish

Return to General Chat