Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BACK TO BACK WALL STUFF FROM THE BLUEBIRDS

Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:55 am

GOAL! Forest Green Rovers 1-2 Cardiff City (Whyte 84) wins the game for Cardiff City :bluebird: :bluebird:

Tonight Cardiff City send their first team to play League Two Team Forest Green .

FOREST GREEN l1 CARDIFF CITY 2 :bluebird: :bluebird:
H—T 0-0

Cardiff team is in. Phillips, Sang, McGuinness, Flint (C), Brown, Bagan, Wintle, Pack, Harris, Giles, Collins.

Subs: Smithies, Luthra, Bowen, Jones, Bakare, Denham, Connolly, Davies, D'Almeida, Whyte, Vaulks, Ralls, Tomlin, Vassell, Zimba

7pm kick off and home supporters can pay on the gate cash tonight

Reporter Media Wales:

Forest Green dominated large parts of the game.

Cardiff were on the defensive for the majority of the game.

BY Glen Williams

Cardiff City edged out a narrow 2-1 win over Forest Green Rovers at The New Lawn thanks to second-half goals from James Collins and Gavin Whyte.

It was far from a complete performance, and when Jamille Matt equalised the hosts could well have gone on to win it, but Whyte's winner five minutes from time was enough to seal the victory for Mick McCarthy's men.

Forest Green dominated the opening exchanges. From minute one, the League Two outfit looked far more cohesive and composed on the ball and consequently created far more opportunities.

The first chance presented itself after Kane Wilson, who was a thorn in Cardiff's side, lofted a lovely ball over the City centre backs and on to the head of Jamille Matt, but his header was a nice height and saved comfortably by Dillon Phillips.

But the Cardiff goalkeeper was busy all half. Ben Stevenson tested Phillips from 25 yards before Wilson ghosted his way through the defence before being denied smartly by a smothering save.

It was backs-to-the-wall stuff, really, especially when Regan Hendry's free header at the back post should have been converted, but the Rovers man steered his effort wide of the upright.

Cardiff's only real chance of note in the half was borne of excellent link-up play between Joel Bagan and Ryan Giles, which saw the latter swing in a lovely cross to the back post, but James Collins' outstretched right boot just couldn't make contact.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: “ CCFC TONIGHT “

Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:56 am

Pre-Season Preview | Forest Green Rovers vs. Cardiff City

Forest Green Rovers vs. Cardiff City - 7pm, Tuesday 20th July, 2021.

The Bluebirds take on League Two side Forest Green Rovers in their third outing of pre-season.

OUR OPPONENTS

Based in Nailsworth, Gloucestershire, Rovers have become a well-established EFL side since their promotion to the fourth tier back in 2017. Off the pitch, Forest Green have received plaudits for their eco-friendly approach, being described as one of the ‘greenest’ clubs in world football.

Last season, their fourth in League Two, Rovers reached the Play-Off Semi Finals, finishing in sixth position in the league table. However, they narrowly missed out on a place in the Wembley final, losing out to our upcoming pre-season opponents, Newport County, with a final aggregate score of 5-4 to the Welsh side.

The second-leg at the Innocent New Lawn proved to be a thrilling encounter, with Rovers overturning a two-goal aggregate deficit within 8 first-half minutes, before being pegged back once again by the Exiles. The exciting tie was eventually determined by former Bluebird Nicky Maynard, who netted a late, extra-time winner to send Newport to Wembley.

Following the conclusion of the league season, Rob Edwards was appointed as Forest Green’s new Head Coach back in June. The former central defender featured for the likes of Wolverhampton Wanderers, Crystal Palace and Norwich City during his playing days, whilst also making 15 appearances for the Wales national team between 2003 and 2006.

Rovers have made a number of signings throughout the summer months, in an attempt to strengthen their squad and go one step closer to promotion this term. Midfielder Opi Edwards arrived from Bristol City, with Ben Stevenson joining from Colchester United. Up front, Scottish striker Jack Aitchison has joined on loan from Barnsley, having spent time on loan at Stevenage last season.

Tuesday’s trip to the Innocent New Lawn will be City’s fifth pre-season meeting with Forest Green since 2012. The Bluebirds suffered a 1-0 loss during the first meeting between the two clubs, but recorded an exciting 4-3 victory ahead of our 2013/14 Premier League campaign. In 2015, Joe Mason scored for City during a 1-1 draw between the two sides, whilst Rovers emerged victorious a year later, winning 3-1 with Federico Macheda on target for the Bluebirds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:14 pm

Cardiff team is in. Phillips, Sang, McGuinness, Flint (C), Brown, Bagan, Wintle, Pack, Harris, Giles, Collins.

Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:15 pm

Subs: Smithies, Luthra, Bowen, Jones, Bakare, Denham, Connolly, Davies, D'Almeida, Whyte, Vaulks, Ralls, Tomlin, Vassell, Zimba

Re: Updated: “ CCFC TONIGHT “

Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:26 pm

Anyone know where NG, Morrison and Murphy are? Presumably all unfit I guess.

Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:44 pm

So we have a starting central defence tonight of McGuinness Flint.
One for the music loving oldies there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6beG7qBm4g

Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:05 pm

I was just thinking the same. It almost gave me the malt & barley blues. :occasion5:

Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:28 pm

BLUE54 wrote:I was just thinking the same. It almost gave me the malt & barley blues. :occasion5:

I hope it's not when I'm dead and gone just yet :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:22 pm

1-1 at moment

Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:23 pm

Jamille Matt cancels out James Collins strike

Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:23 pm

No pace at all in the team at the moment.

Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:35 pm

nasty pink n black kit :laughing6:

Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:40 pm

2-1 city

Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:49 pm

result
forest green 1 city 2

Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:50 pm

Cardiff win 2-1 away

GOAL! Forest Green Rovers 1-2 Cardiff City (Whyte 84)

71st min subs: Vaulks, Ralls, Whyte, Tomlin, Vassell and T Davies on.

Giles, Collins, Pack, Harris, Wintle and Bagan off.

Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:52 pm

papa wrote:result
forest green 1 city 2

Good work out and I thought Tomlin Whyte and Ralls all did well coming on, we need minutes in the legs now for Morrison, NG, Murphy, Bacuna, Colwill and Moore

Re: Updated: “ CCFC WIN TONIGHT “

Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:41 pm

Reporter Media Wales:

Forest Green dominated large parts of the game.

Cardiff were on the defensive for the majority of the game.

BY Glen Williams

Cardiff City edged out a narrow 2-1 win over Forest Green Rovers at The New Lawn thanks to second-half goals from James Collins and Gavin Whyte.

It was far from a complete performance, and when Jamille Matt equalised the hosts could well have gone on to win it, but Whyte's winner five minutes from time was enough to seal the victory for Mick McCarthy's men.

Forest Green dominated the opening exchanges. From minute one, the League Two outfit looked far more cohesive and composed on the ball and consequently created far more opportunities.

The first chance presented itself after Kane Wilson, who was a thorn in Cardiff's side, lofted a lovely ball over the City centre backs and on to the head of Jamille Matt, but his header was a nice height and saved comfortably by Dillon Phillips.

But the Cardiff goalkeeper was busy all half. Ben Stevenson tested Phillips from 25 yards before Wilson ghosted his way through the defence before being denied smartly by a smothering save.

It was backs-to-the-wall stuff, really, especially when Regan Hendry's free header at the back post should have been converted, but the Rovers man steered his effort wide of the upright.

Cardiff's only real chance of note in the half was borne of excellent link-up play between Joel Bagan and Ryan Giles, which saw the latter swing in a lovely cross to the back post, but James Collins' outstretched right boot just couldn't make contact.

Re: BACK TO BACK WALL STUFF FROM THE BLUEBIRDS

Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:02 pm

A worrying report. At what point does it stop being about fitness and positional shape?

Sounds like both Cambridge and Forest Green both could have romped home

Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:12 pm

Barclay1 wrote:A worrying report. At what point does it stop being about fitness and positional shape?

the teams were mixed and not 1st team 11

Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:34 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:A worrying report. At what point does it stop being about fitness and positional shape?

Wez,

They might be only friendlies but I have watched every game and so far we are not
Looking that good.

We need more quality ASAP.

We are playing clubs like Cambridge and Forest Green, Our youth should beat them.

Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:40 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Wez,

They might be only friendlies but I have watched every game and so far we are not
Looking that good.

We are playing clubs like Cambridge and Forest Green, Our youth should beat them.

We havnt started our strongest 11 yet the teams have been mixed ,the matches have been training exercises, see how we are against Southampton coz I think that will give us more of an idea where we are

Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:26 pm

wez1927 wrote:

I've known us lose all or most
of our friendlies as we are not particularly good at winning them ....but we still have had a good season......

Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:07 am

Been some good performances from some of the younger players. Pre season games like this are nothing to worry about. Newport match is a.big one as I expect out shape and team.to be ready so expect to win and play well. Then a.week to the important one

Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:49 am

I think people are expecting too much at the moment. FGR looked a well organised side and will have another good season in L2.Newort County will be the same when we play them as all lower league sides tend to do well against sides in higher leagues in pre-season.I still think we haven't seen the eleven that will start against Barnsley by a long shot.

Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:28 am

We’ve chopped and changed our midfield and defence every single game. We’ve conceded silly first minute goals, or set pieces etc which is what you’d expect from a mix of first team, fringe and young players. Our striker replacement for Moore for when we rest him has scored 3 goals. Essentially though it’s still about fitness. The Southampton / Newport game will be the games McCarthy will likely play his strongest sides and look to get some consistency ready for the Barnsley game. Makes me laugh to see “I’m worried” “it’s not looking good” “we need more quality”. From my perspective we have more quality this year than we did last year, and someone telling me we had Wilson and Ojo won’t convince me otherwise

Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:28 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:I think people are expecting too much at the moment. FGR looked a well organised side and will have another good season in L2.Newort County will be the same when we play them as all lower league sides tend to do well against sides in higher leagues in pre-season.I still think we haven't seen the eleven that will start against Barnsley by a long shot.

Mate you just said it they are a league two team and we’re suppose to be a top championship club and we struggled again

Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:14 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:I think people are expecting too much at the moment. FGR looked a well organised side and will have another good season in L2.Newort County will be the same when we play them as all lower league sides tend to do well against sides in higher leagues in pre-season.I still think we haven't seen the eleven that will start against Barnsley by a long shot.

yes agree... from our point of view these games are meant to put minutes in and look at different things against opponents that will be competitive...
i also think not enough credit is given to the gulf between academy football and lower league football...

Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:36 am

My mate who was on the coaching staff at Ipswich Town Youth once told me that the first 45 minutes of one particular friendly, the instructions to players were not to attack at all. They used it as a defensive exercise to improve team defending from the front. He said the senior team did similar during friendlies - with varying instructions - as do other clubs up and down the UK.

I tend not to worry about results in friendlies, whilst looking at them as an opportunity to improve match fitness, forge partnerships and better understanding.

Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:38 am

I’ll judge how good we are after 4 or 5 league games, not after meaningless pre season friendlies

Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:43 am

Forever Blue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Wez,

Looking that good.

Doesn't work like that though. In what used to be called the Auto Glass Trophy,think it was called the Papa Johns trophy last season for sides in league one and two premier league youth teams are allowed to play and mostly lose to the league one and two sides. I think Chelsea's youth team got to the semi final once but no youth team has ever got to the final and that includes the likes of Chelsea Man City Liverpool etc.