" Emma Raducanu "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Emma Raducanu "

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:00 pm

Congratulations to 18 year old British tennis player Emma Raducanu on winning the US Open at Flushing Meadows, New York. She didn't drop a set all tournament.

She beat 19 year old Leylah Fernandez of Canada in straight sets in the final by a score of 6-4 6-3 in what was the first Grand Slam final between two teenagers since Serena Williams beat Martina Hingis in 1999.

She is the first British winner of a Women's Grand Slam since Virginia Wade won Wimbledon in 1977.

Raducanu went into this event being ranked 150th in the world and had only ever appeared at one Grand Slam before, when she reached the Fourth Round at Wimbledon earlier this year - before having to retire in the second set against Ajla Tomljanovic, due to breathing difficulties.

Having been the first qualifier to reach a Grand Slam final in the Open Era, she has now bettered that by becoming the first qualifier to win a Grand Slam in the Open Era.

Raducanu was born in Toronto, Canada with her parents originating from Bucharest, Romania and Shenyang, China.

She moved to Britain when she was two years old, and has lived there ever since - in the London Borough of Bromley.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

" Emma Raducanu "

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: " Emma Raducanu "

Postby Scoularite » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:37 pm

Absolutely amazing performance and won it with an "ace" on her last serve.
Scoularite

Postby Sven » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:25 pm

Watched it and a wonderful performance that showed maturity beyond her years

Congratulations to Emma Raducanu, a record breaker and worthy US Open champion; ironically on the 20th anniversary 9/11 :clap: :cry:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Bigmarkw » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:00 am

Fair play to her, enjoyed watching her not losing even a set. She’s got big things ahead of her. Great to see.
Don’t see how she British though lol.
Bigmarkw

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:52 am

Bigmarkw wrote:Fair play to her, enjoyed watching her not losing even a set. She’s got big things ahead of her. Great to see.

Probably the fact that she's lived in Bromley for 16 years of her 18 year life.

She's more British than Kieffer Moore is Welsh.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

worcester_ccfc

Postby Bakedalasker » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:04 am

Bigmarkw wrote:Fair play to her, enjoyed watching her not losing even a set. She’s got big things ahead of her. Great to see.

Residency rule I believe. You can apply for British citizenship after 6 years providing in those years you were not a foreign student or something like an overseas contractor. By the time she was 8 she would have been neither of those and would have qualified for citizenship.
Bakedalasker

Postby Dobbin » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:26 am

Fantastic achievement and was a great game of tennis with two youngsters playing with no fear.

I think she moved to U.K. when she was 2 from Canada, her dad was Romanian and her mother Chinese from what I read earlier in week.
Dobbin

Postby maccydee » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:26 am

How would she be Canadian? She spent two years of her eighteen in canada.

She’s more British than a lot of our football/rugby players are welsh or English players are English.
maccydee

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:25 am

Absolutely stunning performance

Don’t normally watch tennis but fair play a superb game between 2 hugely talented teenagers.. big, big future for her
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby Bigmarkw » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:31 am

maccydee wrote:

She’s more British than a lot of our football/rugby players are welsh or English players are English.

Because she was born there, and failing that her dad’s Romanian and mother Chinese. So not much british there. If I lived in Mexico for the next 30 years I would never consider myself Mexican. I understand that she gets called British because she lives here but that’s just paperwork she’s as British as a tikka masala.
Bigmarkw

Postby maccydee » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:45 am

Bigmarkw wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Because she was born there, and failing that her dad’s Romanian and mother Chinese. So not much british there. If I lived in Mexico for the next 30 years I would never consider myself Mexican. I understand that she gets called British because she lives here but that’s just paperwork she’s as British as a tikka masala.

If someone lives somewhere from the age of two they are going to be aligned to that country.

If you moved to Mexico as a two year old and spent thirty years there you would be Mexican in everything but birth. You would speak the lingo, probably tan, follow their culture.

It’s not rocket science.
maccydee

Postby Bluebarella » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:51 am

Bigmark, your last comment sums up how ignorant you are. The Tikka Masala was invented in Britain in the 1800’s and is now considered to be quintessentially British. Radicanu has spent all her life in the UK and is as British as fish and chips irrespective of her parents heritage.
Bluebarella

Postby Bigmarkw » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:54 am

Bluebarella wrote:Bigmark, your last comment sums up how ignorant you are. The Tikka Masala was invented in Britain in the 1800’s and is now considered to be quintessentially British. Radicanu has spent all her life in the UK and is as British as fish and chips irrespective of her parents heritage.

Lol. I knew someone would bite. A lot sooner than I thought though.
Bigmarkw

Postby Bigmarkw » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:57 am

maccydee wrote:
Bigmarkw wrote:
maccydee wrote:

If someone lives somewhere from the age of two they are going to be aligned to that country.

If you moved to Mexico as a two year old and spent thirty years there you would be Mexican in everything but birth. You would speak the lingo, probably tan, follow their culture.

It’s not rocket science.

You couldn’t have read my post. As I said I understand why she classed as British. But wait shocking as it may seem I was just expressing my opinion, sorry it doesn’t align with yours.
Bigmarkw

Postby maccydee » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:08 am

Bigmarkw wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Bigmarkw wrote:
maccydee wrote:

It’s not rocket science.

You couldn’t have read my post. As I said I understand why she classed as British. But wait shocking as it may seem I was just expressing my opinion, sorry it doesn’t align with yours.

I did read it and was confused by the tikka masala comment.

She is British. Not classed as. Is.
maccydee

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:13 am

Bigmarkw wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Bigmarkw wrote:
maccydee wrote:

It’s not rocket science.

It's not about opinions, it's about facts.

She is legally classed as British and you can't argue with a fact like that.

@neddthomas on Twitter.

worcester_ccfc

Postby Bigmarkw » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:32 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:
Bigmarkw wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Bigmarkw wrote:
maccydee wrote:

It’s not rocket science.

Wasn’t arguing with it. Just expressing a opinion.
And that’s my option. Fact you can’t agree with a fact like that.
Bigmarkw

Postby Bigmarkw » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:33 am

maccydee wrote:
Bigmarkw wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Bigmarkw wrote:
maccydee wrote:

It’s not rocket science.

I did read it and was confused by the tikka masala comment.

She is British. Not classed as. Is.

Isnt lol.
Bigmarkw

Postby Igovernor » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:42 am

Bigmarkw wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Actually Tika masala is a british dish, it is not Indian, ask any Indian and they will tell you there is no indian dish called Tika Masala. Admit is you got it wrong and you are trying to cover your arse by saying "I wonder how long before someone bites" Nice try :thumbup:
Igovernor

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:53 am

Bigmarkw wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
Bigmarkw wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Bigmarkw wrote:
maccydee wrote:

It’s not rocket science.

Wasn’t arguing with it. Just expressing a opinion.
And that’s my option. Fact you can’t agree with a fact like that.

The point is it doesn't come down to opinions.

You can argue with someone's opinion but you can't argue with someone's fact :lol:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

worcester_ccfc

Postby Bigmarkw » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:07 pm

Igovernor wrote:
Bigmarkw wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Actually Tika masala is a british dish, it is not Indian, ask any Indian and they will tell you there is no indian dish called Tika Masala. Admit is you got it wrong and you are trying to cover your arse by saying "I wonder how long before someone bites" Nice try :thumbup:

So you think out all the comparisons I could have made where there must be millions. I chose one that is common knowledge that was made in the Uk. You really think I wasn’t taken the mick? Granted you don’t know me but come on the odds of it. I actually thought about it for a while. ;)
Bigmarkw

Postby Bluebarella » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:38 pm

I think it’s odds on you’re just a bit thick. You made a fool of yourself, you’re embarrassed and now you’re back tracking rather unconvincingly. I’d stop digging a deeper hole if I was you
Bluebarella

Postby Bigmarkw » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:50 pm

Bluebarella wrote:I think it’s odds on you’re just a bit thick. You made a fool of yourself, you’re embarrassed and now you’re back tracking rather unconvincingly. I’d stop digging a deeper hole if I was you

Haha. You just annoyed because you walked into the most obvious tongue in cheek ever.

Hence why you throwing insults. You did it to you self.
Bigmarkw

Postby Bigmarkw » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:54 pm

Bluebarella wrote:Bigmark, your last comment sums up how ignorant you are. The Tikka Masala was invented in Britain in the 1800’s and is now considered to be quintessentially British. Radicanu has spent all her life in the UK and is as British as fish and chips irrespective of her parents heritage.

Oh yeah by the way raducanu hasn’t spent all of her life in the uk has she?
Bigmarkw

Postby piledriver64 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:35 pm

Bigmarkw wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Well that makes her very British then, as tikka masala was designed and introduced in Britain for the British market !!

My mate was born in Reading and moved here when he was 2. He’s never considered himself anything other than Welsh, nor should he. It’s what feels natural surely ?

Not many people in UK have totally “British” blood lines if you want to get technical about it.

There shouldn’t be measures of how British you are, sad indictment of some peoples attitudes.
piledriver64

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:24 pm

Bigmarkw wrote:
maccydee wrote:

If you were 2yrs old you would class yourself Mexican if lived there for 30yrs? If you are older like a teenager when moved there you have a point about being Welsh not Mexican ...
pembroke allan

Postby Bigmarkw » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:54 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Bigmarkw wrote:
maccydee wrote:

If you were 2yrs old you would class yourself Mexican if lived there for 30yrs? If you are older like a teenager when moved there you have a point about being Welsh not Mexican ...

I haven’t. But that just me. Like I said I enjoyed watching her irrelevant where she’s from.
Bigmarkw

Postby BluebirdsTilIDie » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:36 pm

Only on the city forum could this topic go from congratulating a tennis player to arguing about if she’s British or not to arguing where the tikka masala originated from :lol:
BluebirdsTilIDie

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:43 pm

Bigmarkw wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Bigmarkw wrote:
maccydee wrote:

I haven’t. But that just me. Like I said I enjoyed watching her irrelevant where she’s from.

Yes I actually put it on and whether we agree or not she is British... not sure how we can say shes Romanian or Chinese or Canadian she holds a British passport so guess it makes her British regardless.
pembroke allan

Postby Bigmarkw » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:52 pm

BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:Only on the city forum could this topic go from congratulating a tennis player to arguing about if she’s British or not to arguing where the tikka masala originated from :lol:

Lol. I regret doing it now. I thought it was obvious I was joking around.
Bigmarkw

Next

Return to General Chat