Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

A VIEW FROM SOMEONE WHO WAS THERE: FOREST V CARDIFF.

Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:47 pm

Great support. The fans were noisy from start to finish and had the typical banter with the home fans. Got to say I'm not comfortable with the Scabby Scabby Nottingham banter but that's just me. Some of the Forest fans replied to that by doing the Ayatollah. I'm not sure what that was about. One girl stuck the middle finger at us all which was fair play I thought.

We should have taken an early lead when the ball hit the crossbar and was cleared off the line. After that the best we saw was half chances from both sides but we did look like the side that was going to score. So against the run of play Forest scored what I though was a tidy goal. It was a nice through ball that caught Morrison out allowing their winger to send in a cross into an area that was inviting for the home side to score.

After the home side took the lead the home support woke up. We aimed our frustration at a guy who we claimed was fat. Your just a fat something was the line we threw at him. He responded by showing his biceps and doing a Gorilla stance implying he was built like a brick shithouse. Well in fairness he was not fat, far from it but that did not stop shouting fatty fatty at him.

Come the end of the half I was disappointed we had not equalised. I felt we were the better of the 2 sides by far and felt this could turn out to be another Estonia. Well I need not have worried because we came at them hard from the restart and although we had to wait for the substitutions we got our equaliser and it was richly deserved. The fans around me, old school, felt we can go on and win it now. It was great to be amongst that type of fan again, you know the lot who for 90 minutes think they are 40 years younger than what they are, doing the actions like hands on their heads when it was a close miss or when its a goal they think they can jump 4 feet high when the reality is they are lucky to reach the heights of 2 to 3 inches and that's being generous.

The celebrations were by the players were just awesome. They were right in front of us and it felt like a oneness with players and fan, and you can only feel that by being there. The players just seems to pile on top of Colwill the scorer and I wondered if he was going to survive that. Well he did and as he and the team returned to the centre Bagan took a couple of seconds out to stay with the fans and bump us up. He was to do that again after the second goal.

You all know about the second goal. The celebrations were just as good by the players. One or two fans ended up over the barriers being restrained by the stewards. I thought there goes 2 lifetime bands or whatever the punishment is BUT fair play to the stewards they just threw them back into the stands. Hopefully nothing will come of it. The forest fans look totally dejected as if they have been down this rad before. Well they have so we started aiming our delight at Fatty boy again. Fatty fatty what the score we sang and this time he could not look us in the face.

The game fizzled out after that, Forest never look like getting back on terms and we never went for the kill. We up the banter with the home fans when someone started waving an Italian flag. That's when they the home fans had had enough and starting leaving. Of course the sang "Is this a Library" started to resound around the away end. The final whistle came without the nerves we usually feel when the score one goal difference. We all felt we had won the game when that second goal went in.

I'll close by telling you all what one of the old school said to me at the final whistle. He Said "I would rather have these youngsters playing instead of the likes of Tomlin and Vassel". I'll let that sink in.

Re: A VIEW FROM SOMEONE WHO WAS THERE: FOREST V CARDIFF.

Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:15 am

Bakedalasker wrote:Great support. The fans were noisy from start to finish and had the typical banter with the home fans. Got to say I'm not comfortable with the Scabby Scabby Nottingham banter but that's just me. Some of the Forest fans replied to that by doing the Ayatollah. I'm not sure what that was about. One girl stuck the middle finger at us all which was fair play I thought.

We should have taken an early lead when the ball hit the crossbar and was cleared off the line. After that the best we saw was half chances from both sides but we did look like the side that was going to score. So against the run of play Forest scored what I though was a tidy goal. It was a nice through ball that caught Morrison out allowing their winger to send in a cross into an area that was inviting for the home side to score.

After the home side took the lead the home support woke up. We aimed our frustration at a guy who we claimed was fat. Your just a fat something was the line we threw at him. He responded by showing his biceps and doing a Gorilla stance implying he was built like a brick shithouse. Well in fairness he was not fat, far from it but that did not stop shouting fatty fatty at him.

Come the end of the half I was disappointed we had not equalised. I felt we were the better of the 2 sides by far and felt this could turn out to be another Estonia. Well I need not have worried because we came at them hard from the restart and although we had to wait for the substitutions we got our equaliser and it was richly deserved. The fans around me, old school, felt we can go on and win it now. It was great to be amongst that type of fan again, you know the lot who for 90 minutes think they are 40 years younger than what they are, doing the actions like hands on their heads when it was a close miss or when its a goal they think they can jump 4 feet high when the reality is they are lucky to reach the heights of 2 to 3 inches and that's being generous.

The celebrations were by the players were just awesome. They were right in front of us and it felt like a oneness with players and fan, and you can only feel that by being there. The players just seems to pile on top of Colwill the scorer and I wondered if he was going to survive that. Well he did and as he and the team returned to the centre Bagan took a couple of seconds out to stay with the fans and bump us up. He was to do that again after the second goal.

You all know about the second goal. The celebrations were just as good by the players. One or two fans ended up over the barriers being restrained by the stewards. I thought there goes 2 lifetime bands or whatever the punishment is BUT fair play to the stewards they just threw them back into the stands. Hopefully nothing will come of it. The forest fans look totally dejected as if they have been down this rad before. Well they have so we started aiming our delight at Fatty boy again. Fatty fatty what the score we sang and this time he could not look us in the face.

The game fizzled out after that, Forest never look like getting back on terms and we never went for the kill. We up the banter with the home fans when someone started waving an Italian flag. That's when they the home fans had had enough and starting leaving. Of course the sang "Is this a Library" started to resound around the away end. The final whistle came without the nerves we usually feel when the score one goal difference. We all felt we had won the game when that second goal went in.

I'll close by telling you all what one of the old school said to me at the final whistle. He Said "I would rather have these youngsters playing instead of the likes of Tomlin and Vassel". I'll let that sink in.

Cracking report, and great to get a view fom the actual game, the scenes looked great on tv for sure :thumbup:
My only gripe would be, apart from being injured a lot, what has Vassell done? He at least fights to regain his fitness, tomlin??????

Anyway, bet the journey home was fun :occasion5: :old: :bluebird:

Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:42 am

Bakedalasker wrote:Great support. The fans were noisy from start to finish and had the typical banter with the home fans. Got to say I'm not comfortable with the Scabby Scabby Nottingham banter but that's just me. Some of the Forest fans replied to that by doing the Ayatollah. I'm not sure what that was about. One girl stuck the middle finger at us all which was fair play I thought.

My two boys went, and thoroughly enjoyed. I must have spotted them on TV 100 times as they were right by the corner flag/Forest fans.

I thought that was a great read. Not a criticism but it's funny how we are so high when we win and low when we lose. I fall into that category.

Gotta remember we have just beaten the bottom side away who have yet to win all season. HOWEVER, last season under Harris we would have lost that. Sheff Wed mashed us over two games in doing the double.

Finally, I agree with your Vassell, Tomlin comments even though Tomlin is our most creative player. BUT I would still rather have a few extra experienced players in with the kids at this stage so they can be brought in slowly, and not all at once.

Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:27 am

A good read, thanks for posting.

Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:56 am

Barclay1 wrote:
My two boys went, and thoroughly enjoyed. I must have spotted them on TV 100 times as they were right by the corner flag/Forest fans.

There was a couple of nice moment after the final whistle where a couple of the players gave their shirts to a couple of youngers.

Mark Harris handed his shirt to a steward where he pointed to a lad on someone's shoulders. The guy I was speaking about Tomlin/Vassell, well it was his son. He was more excited than his son and made a beeline for him through the crowd. The son proudly held up the shirt to show everyone who gave it him. A great gesture by Harris ad my advice ot everyone is don't pick a fight with him because although he does not look much under the shirt, without it he would match that Forest fan for being built like a brickhouse.

Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:24 am

Nice to read an eye witness account on this forum.I suppose living in Derby you'll be at the Coventry game too?Should be a tougher match but still winnable.

Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:53 am

I enjoyed that very good read, should make your match reports a regular thing?

Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:42 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:Nice to read an eye witness account on this forum.I suppose living in Derby you'll be at the Coventry game too?Should be a tougher match but still winnable.

Yep I will be. I fancy Coventry to do well this season so yes its going to be a tougher match without doubt.

Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:02 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:Nice to read an eye witness account on this forum.I suppose living in Derby you'll be at the Coventry game too?Should be a tougher match but still winnable.

Yep I will be. I fancy Coventry to do well this season so yes its going to be a tougher match without doubt.

Theres only one CCFC!!!!!

Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:07 pm

Fatty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:35 am

I’ll be honest, when I read the title, I was expecting this to be a slight dig at the fans who opted to watch the game on television, as opposed to travelling.

The reality was something different and it ended up being possibly the best read ever on this forum. I love the way you’ve captured the whole match day experience and cleverly linked it in with the game itself. The attention to detail when describing supporters and players reactions left me feeling like I’d witnessed it first hand and you’ve epitomised what being a football fan is all about.

More write ups on your perspective of the overall occasion would be warmly received and much appreciated for future games.

Thank you! :thumbup: