Cardiff's 'Mona Lisa' diversity mural vandalised Published

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:00 am

Cardiff's 'Mona Lisa' diversity mural vandalised

Wednesday 6th October 2021

A mural painted to promote diversity and inclusion has been vandalised in Butetown, Cardiff.

The 'Mona Lisa' mural is part of the My City, My Shirt project, which aims to help minority communities identify more with Cardiff.

South Wales Police is investigating the vandalism as a hate crime.
"This is absolutely appalling. Shameful. If anyone knows what mindless idiots did this please report," Cardiff City Supporters' Trust tweeted.
The damage to the mural on James Street was reported on Monday, 4 October and is believed to have happened sometime overnight.
Mural
Image caption, White paint has been thrown onto the mural
Inspector Kevin Jones, from the Community Safety Department of South Wales Police, said: "The My City My Shirt mural was painted as part of a community project celebrating Cardiff as a diverse city and is a much-praised piece of art.
"It would appear that white paint has been deliberately thrown onto the mural from the pavement area where there are also splashes of paint.
"Understandably, local residents, the artist and Unify Creative, who commissioned the project, are very upset by what has happened to this mural which represents Cardiff as a proud, welcoming and multi-cultural city."
Mural is 'Butetown's Mona Lisa'
Defaced Rashford mural covered in hearts
Statue honours Wales' first black head teacher
Huw Thomas, leader of Cardiff Council, said: "Another symbol of everything that's wonderful about Cardiff is vandalised by a tiny, tiny few."
Attachments
1472A0E8-D610-411C-A882-78A9789ED72B.jpeg
1472A0E8-D610-411C-A882-78A9789ED72B.jpeg (72.62 KiB) Viewed 5678 times
32E3FE0B-F21F-48B8-B3F2-0C8880F5BBD6.jpeg
32E3FE0B-F21F-48B8-B3F2-0C8880F5BBD6.jpeg (78.21 KiB) Viewed 5682 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Cardiff's 'Mona Lisa' diversity mural vandalised Publish

Postby BigBearBlue1974 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:17 am

Firstly, totally wrong to vandalise stuff like this. Hope they catch him or her.

Secondly , what is British anymore. I watched news a programme in a Leicester on tv the other day. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was like another country.

Thing is you can't even talk anymore about it cause you get called a racist.
BigBearBlue1974

Postby Bluesince72 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:31 am

Imp just wondering if maybe this isn't as sinister as its being made out to be, perhaps not a racist attack it looks as if whoever has done this has tried to paint an S on the shirt could be a numpty Jack pissed up first week in Uni thought it would be a good idea.
Just a thought as the media always seem to try and find some kind of political angle these days, kids do still just f**k about and do stupid things.
Bluesince72

Postby Jock » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:40 am

It’s a shite thing to do, whatever their reasons for doing it.
Jock

Postby stickywicket » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:40 am

Sad really. Its the society we've created.
No respect for anything.
stickywicket

Postby Sven » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:56 am

BigBearBlue1974 wrote:Firstly, totally wrong to vandalise stuff like this. Hope they catch him or her.

Secondly , what is British anymore. I watched news a programme in a Leicester on tv the other day. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was like another country.

Hmmm, as ever it's how you talk about it...!

Agree it's absolutely disgusting though, whoever did it! :evil:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby piledriver64 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:58 am

I was gutted when I saw this.

No matter what your views on the meaning behind the mural, it's a wonderful piece of art that has been lauded nationally.

The message behind it was unity, hence the City shirt, and there are surely very few people who would disagree with that.

In any event, I hope that somebody get's prosecuted for this.

I know the club is a bit skint at the moment but might be a nice, inclusive, gesture for them to pay for repair in the first place and then, hopefully, claim it back from the idiot who gets prosecuted for it.
piledriver64

Postby maccydee » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:32 am

BigBearBlue1974 wrote:Firstly, totally wrong to vandalise stuff like this. Hope they catch him or her.

You can’t assume it’s a him or her. There’s 85 genders remember.

Might be a singular them both.
maccydee

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:56 am

Bluesince72 wrote:Imp just wondering if maybe this isn't as sinister as its being made out to be, perhaps not a racist attack it looks as if whoever has done this has tried to paint an S on the shirt could be a numpty Jack pissed up first week in Uni thought it would be a good idea.
Just a thought as the media always seem to try and find some kind of political angle these days, kids do still just f**k about and do stupid things.

That was my immediate thought. White paint. Mmmm
bluebirdoct1962

Postby CantonStandBob » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:06 am

The question is just simply....why?? Like what is the matter with people? Morons whether its a Swansea fan, or someone doing it for racial reasons or just someone doing it for no reason....why??
CantonStandBob

Postby ThomasC » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:06 am

I like the mural as it was very well done by the artist. Not nice to see what happened
ThomasC

Postby Wayne S » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:34 am

I do hope it was a Jack pissed up. Some of the alternatives are very sad for our city.
Wayne S

Postby brynleybridle » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:44 am

WHY,WHY,WHY, NOTHING BUT A LOAD OF BIGGOTED IDIOTS .HOPE THEY GET CAUGHT AND LOCKED UP WITH HARD LABOUR. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
brynleybridle

Postby Sneggyblubird » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:16 am

Hands up those that have defaced a wall with CCFC in their time. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sneggyblubird

Postby lilybull » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:17 am

Crap design, constant barrage of multi culturalism, what's wrong with promoting native Welsh for once, butetown is a shithole for me, but each to there own, would I vandalise this , no, but police have better things to do than Chase someone who chucked a bit of paint on iy
lilybull

Postby rumpo kid » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:00 pm

Rum do that..

You have a point to a degree.. when my Grandfather was born there(Loudon Sq) early 1900s, Welsh was the language spoken by a majority there. The people who built the docks and worked there are mostly ignored.. railway men, Engineers, fitters, coal trimmers etc
The media largely only celebrate post 50s Butetown..

I did a wall with CCFC once.. messy business after a night out
rumpo kid

Postby Wayne S » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:41 pm

lilybull wrote:..... what's wrong with promoting native Welsh for once .....

rumpo kid wrote:..... the people who built the docks and worked there are mostly ignored.. railway men, Engineers, fitters, coal trimmers etc
The media largely only celebrate post 50s Butetown .....

I suppose you mean apart from;

The sculptures Celtic Ring, From Pit to Port, Cargoes, Beastie Benches and Ivor Novello.

All down the bay and celebrating Welsh Culture, Welsh People and the building of the docks. It helps to know your city.

There are many, many more including a statue in Butetown representing Equity, which, is quite poignant nowadays as Equity amongst disparate communities is what is needed BEFORE we even try to tackle Equality.
Wayne S

Postby piledriver64 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:46 pm

lilybull wrote:Crap design, constant barrage of multi culturalism, what's wrong with promoting native Welsh for once, butetown is a shithole for me, but each to there own, would I vandalise this , no, but police have better things to do than Chase someone who chucked a bit of paint on iy

Nobody is saying there is anything wrong with native Welsh, there are innumerable statues around Cardiff celebrating "native" Welsh if you opened your eyes :roll:

Similarly there is nothing wrong with celebrating the multi culturalism of Cardiff Docks/Bay.

My father was born and brought up on Clarence Embankment and he always loved where he was from because his mates were of many different creeds and colours. He always said he was shocked when he did his national service about the levels of bigotry shown by people from other areas of Wales and UK towards other colours, he just thought it was how all people lived.

Cardiff had the oldest black community in Britain I believe (from 1910 onwards) so surely by now we can recognise that they are just as much a part of our community and deserve to be celebrated as such.

It's really sad to me that anyone can find fault with a piece of art that promotes unity. Just shows we have a long way to go.
piledriver64

Postby Welshman in CA » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:19 pm

Bluesince72 wrote:Imp just wondering if maybe this isn't as sinister as its being made out to be, perhaps not a racist attack it looks as if whoever has done this has tried to paint an S on the shirt could be a numpty Jack pissed up first week in Uni thought it would be a good idea.

No matter how hard I try or how hard I squint I can't make an s in any way out of that. Why would you even be clutching at this straw?
Welshman in CA

Postby rumpo kid » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:05 pm

Wayne S wrote:
lilybull wrote:..... what's wrong with promoting native Welsh for once .....

rumpo kid wrote:..... the people who built the docks and worked there are mostly ignored.. railway men, Engineers, fitters, coal trimmers etc
The media largely only celebrate post 50s Butetown .....

I suppose you mean apart from;

The sculptures Celtic Ring, From Pit to Port, Cargoes, Beastie Benches and Ivor Novello.

All down the bay and celebrating Welsh Culture, Welsh People and the building of the docks. It helps to know your city.

There are many, many more including a statue in Butetown representing Equity, which, is quite poignant nowadays as Equity amongst disparate communities is what is needed BEFORE we even try to tackle Equality.

Er, no I don’t. I specifically said the media, not take a trip down tangent boulevard.
rumpo kid

Postby Nuclearblue » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:32 pm

Look like a giant seagull has shit on it tbh
Nuclearblue

Postby New Day Rising » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:16 pm

You are so spot on
New Day Rising

Postby New Day Rising » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:22 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

That was my immediate thought. White paint. Mmmm

I wondered the same but was worried about saying it in case of an accusation of watering down what appears to be a stupid act ,today's climate is very sensitive, as you say the media has declared it as likley racism ?
New Day Rising

Postby Bluesince72 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:46 am

Welshman in CA wrote:

No matter how hard I try or how hard I squint I can't make an s in any way out of that. Why would you even be clutching at this straw?

Mate im not clutching at any straws just making an observation. And unless the shape of an S has changed since i last looked there is clearly what looks like an S on the sleeve of the shirt.
Bluesince72

Postby Jock » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:49 am

brynleybridle wrote:WHY,WHY,WHY, NOTHING BUT A LOAD OF BIGGOTED IDIOTS .HOPE THEY GET CAUGHT AND LOCKED UP WITH HARD LABOUR. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

You think someone should be jailed for vandalism? Think you’ve lost a sense of proportion here.
Jock

Postby Sven » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:05 am

Jock wrote:
brynleybridle wrote:WHY,WHY,WHY, NOTHING BUT A LOAD OF BIGGOTED IDIOTS .HOPE THEY GET CAUGHT AND LOCKED UP WITH HARD LABOUR. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

You think someone should be jailed for vandalism? Think you’ve lost a sense of proportion here.

Just a tad OTT (again) from one of the regulars, Jock... :shock:

I passed it a couple of days ago and it looked like a spontaneous rather than planned attack using a left over tin of emulsion

I'd like to think the reprobate (or bates) that did it are (a) remorseful and (b) not Bluebird supporters

Just plain stupid and another blot on the good people of that cimmunity :cry:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby splott bluebird » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:18 pm

Totally disgusting behaviour. I hope they are caught and dealt with; something mentally wrong with them
splott bluebird

Postby wez1927 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:56 pm

Kids I think or jack bastards
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby Sven » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:09 pm

wez1927 wrote:Kids I think or jack bastards

Can't see it being 'Jacks' to be fair but more likely pure stupidity and senselessness than an attack on the mural's meaning itself; there are some pretty unthinking/uncaring people out there... :cry:
Sven

Postby Jock » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:23 pm

Sven wrote:
Jock wrote:

Just a tad OTT (again) from one of the regulars, Jock... :shock:

I passed it a couple of days ago and it looked like a spontaneous rather than planned attack using a left over tin of emulsion

I'd like to think the reprobate (or bates) that did it are (a) remorseful and (b) not Bluebird supporters

Just plain stupid and another blot on the good people of that community :cry:

Just to qualify my point, if the perp turns out to be a Jack he/she should get the electric chair :)
Jock

Next

Return to General Chat