Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ Neil Warnock “

Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:36 am

Five years since Warnock appointment

Now, articles such as these are generally reserved for news and transfers, but every now and then a bit of nostalgia is thrown up which cannot be ignored.

October 5 marks five years since Neil Warnock was appointed manager of Cardiff City. How time flies.

Warnock was brought in as an SOS call after City found themselves near the bottom of the table following a dismal start to the season under Paul Trollope.

The manager, of course, stabilised things that season and consolidated the Bluebirds' Championship status, before embarking on a miraculous run the following year which saw them finish second in the league and earn promotion to the Premier League.

For many, it was the most joyous year of their City-following days and he will always be remembered incredibly fondly in this part of the world.

Warnock United the Cardiff fans and brought the atmosphere back to the Cardiff City Stadium :bluebird:

The income received in to the club due to promotion and a year in the Premier League is the highest ever received by Cardiff City FC.

Then sadly Warnock had words with the Cardiff City board and it was time to say goodbye.

To think his appointment is now exactly half a decade ago just proves how quickly things change in this game.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: “ Neil Warnock “

Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:57 am

Reply FB:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:23 am

Reply FB:

Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:58 am

How time flies; but I remember the vast majority, including me, were overjoyed he was on his way...! :clap: :notworthy:

Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:35 am

Replies FB:

Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:53 am

Sven wrote:How time flies; but I remember the vast majority, including me, were overjoyed he was on his way...! :clap: :notworthy:

And many had turned long before.

As the guy above said. Be careful what we wish for.

Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:43 am

I was well chuffed when Warnock took over and I wish he was still here :thumbright: :bluebird:

Made mistakes but so do the greatest managers, Warnocks achievements out way his mistakes and was fantastic with Our fans :bluebird: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:15 am

He couldn't possibly be the manager at a Championship club we are talking to could he? Personally I doubt he would come back, but not sure what other candidates fit the bill...

Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:39 am

Pulled off a miracle to get us promoted as well as reuniting a fractured fans base. He should always be remembered and respected for that.

But it was his poor spending and transfers that set us down this path to where we are now. A lot of the players that receive a lot of stick, were his signings and are regular 1st team players now. pack, Flint, Nelson, vaulks and bacuna have all been regularly criticised for being slow, poor passers, no creativity etc. Best part of 20mill there to produce a pretty limited spine of the team.

Things were already on the slide before he left. We really need to move on from his type of football.

Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:45 am

Escott1927 wrote:Pulled off a miracle to get us promoted as well as reuniting a fractured fans base. He should always be remembered and respected for that.

But it was his poor spending and transfers that set us down this path to where we are now. A lot of the players that receive a lot of stick, were his signings and are regular 1st team players now. pack, Flint, Nelson, vaulks and bacuna have all been regularly criticised for being slow, poor passers, no creativity etc. Best part of 20mill there to produce a pretty limited spine of the team.

Things were already on the slide before he left. We really need to move on from his type of football.

All those players mentioned looked fine last year when we were winning.

Flint is our top scorer this year.

Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:04 pm

maccydee wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:Pulled off a miracle to get us promoted as well as reuniting a fractured fans base. He should always be remembered and respected for that.

All those players mentioned looked fine last year when we were winning.

Flint is our top scorer this year.

The fact that our top scorers are defenders is exactly the reason why we need to move away from hoofball.

All the players mentioned have been regularly criticised since joining us. The team cant pass, is slow and has no creativity. The players mentioned all contribute to these weaknesses and we don't have many options to change it.

Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:09 pm

Reply Fb:

Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:18 pm

You ca not take it away from him thoufh ge brought the feel good factor never forget the feeling of promotion a baking hot saturday afternoon against reading pity you could' nt bottle it and look where we are now
If ever a club went backwards its us.

Tan should have pumped more money in the january when we where in the prem we msy have still been there warnick signed some donkeys and mistakes with murphy bobby reid but i would rather be back there than where we are now.

We have a typical stereotype dry humoured flat cap northerner who could' nt care less if the fans are in the stadium or not no conection what so ever awful to be frank.

At least warnock talked about us fans and connected with his fist pumps and snowgate affair at derby was comical

All we have at city now is doom and gloom and a lot of this is down to the manager and at least warnock set his team out to win a game using wingers.

what a shame we have ended up like the ipswich fans had descriped micks tenure almost "suicidal" feeling.

Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:10 pm

montyblue wrote:You ca not take it away from him thoufh ge brought the feel good factor never forget the feeling of promotion a baking hot saturday afternoon against reading pity you could' nt bottle it and look where we are now
If ever a club went backwards its us.

Tan should have pumped more money in the january when we where in the prem we msy have still been there warnick signed some donkeys and mistakes with murphy bobby reid but i would rather be back there than where we are now.

We have a typical stereotype dry humoured flat cap northerner who could' nt care less if the fans are in the stadium or not no conection what so ever awful to be frank.

At least warnock talked about us fans and connected with his fist pumps and snowgate affair at derby was comical

All we have at city now is doom and gloom and a lot of this is down to the manager and at least warnock set his team out to win a game using wingers.

what a shame we have ended up like the ipswich fans had descriped micks tenure almost "suicidal" feeling.

Pumped more money in? On what? I mean he did try and buy a 15 million quid striker.

Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:29 pm

I preferred this promotion to Malky's,It was so underdog driven and I love Warnocks passion.