Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City manager Steve Morison has urged the supporters

Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:05 am

Cardiff City manager Steve Morison has urged the supporters to get behind the team after fans booed following both the half-time and full-time whistles in the defeat by Hull City.

The Tigers scored the only goal of the game through Lewis Keane-Potter after quarter of an hour and the Bluebirds struggled to get into the match thereafter.

It led to disquiet being voiced among the City supporters as the players walked down the tunnel at half-time and those boos became louder at the full-time whistle.

From Morison's perspective, it must have been disappointing, given this was his first home game as permanent manager of the club.

However, he urged City fans to get behind the team in order to help drag them out of this position at the bottom of the table.

"I don't really understand it, if I'm honest," Morison said after the match.

"It must be down to the fact of where we are in the league, because we had back-to-back wins.

"All I ask is, if we are going to get out of this, it is going to take absolutely everybody. Everyone who works at the football club and every fan who comes through the door and watches.

"You see the difference in performance when the fans get up and get right behind us and try and suck the ball towards the goal with their energy and their noise.

"Unfortunately when it goes the other way and we get the negative reaction, it has the opposite effect.

"So, I'd ask, if we are going to get out of this, we need them to be right behind us. Like the Huddersfield game, we were losing and they were with us all the way and it was arguably not too dissimilar a performance."

Another moment in which the fans made themselves known was when Leandro Bacuna was substituted off in place of Rubin Colwill midway through the second half.

Bacuna had been at fault for giving away possession for the first goal and also missed a big opportunity at the front post minutes before his exit.

But Morison believes that Bacuna was unfortunate to be taken off and threw his backing behind the player.

STEVE MORISON:

"I didn't notice that, I thought they were just clapping," he said of the ironic cheers as Bacuna left the pitch.

"I picked Leo because Leo is a really, really good player. I thought he was playing well in the second half and it was harsh to take him off.

"I just wanted to change it and get Rubin [Colwill] in the game and that didn't work either.

"I'm not going to get caught up in nonsense."

Ultimately, it was another poor set-piece goal which was Cardiff's undoing and Morison admitted it is indeed a concern moving forward.

"It's a concern if we keep conceding," he said.

"If we don't concede and go in at half-time with good control and possession then it's a good place to be.

"You can then come out in the second-half and have a bit more intensity and put your stamp on the game.

"At the moment we keep conceding that goal in the first half and tonight that's ultimately killed us."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Cardiff City manager Steve Morison has urged the support

Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:16 am

Annis, Morison made a big mistake last night and I said this to my mate before the match even started, I know Colwill is young but he is twice the player Bacuna is.
For Morison to say that bacuna is a great player is absolutely ridiculous.
Last night wrong team selelection and wrong tactics, it shows how ineperienced Morison is, he needs to learn real quick, otherwise we are going to end up in leauge 1 :banghead:

Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:45 am

As I said previously, "just wait until the first loss" and then we would see why the club has consistently gone for short term fixes in terms of managers and playing style :banghead: Our fan base is fickle and has no patience as demonstrated last night.

Compared to the c£%p we watched under McCarthy that was a massive change, and I would argue, improvement and yet we have fans booing players off during substitutions and at half-time and full-time.

Morison is making a huge change in style but is tied with the same players. We want to play a passing game yet we still have Flint, Nelson or Morrison as CBs and that simply isn't something they are capable of. I deliberately leave McGuinness out of that because he actually looks to get it on the floor. Personally I would give Pack a go at centre back, it didn't do too badly there at the end of last season and in this system it might suite him even better.

Last night the team selection was a positive one with two upfront. I would agree that playing Bacuna in a forward position doesn't work but maybe Morison felt he need to try it in the new style, hopefully now he will learn quicker than McCarthy did !!

I do think that the team looks massively better when Colwill plays in behind Moore. He gives us someone who can travel with the ball, commit defenders and pull them out of their defensive line. It's not so much the direct impact he has but also the threat that the opposition have to guard against.

I said before Morison was appointed that he should be told to just keep us up and use the season to further develop his philosophy. Unfortunately that will mean that will lose a few more on the way but as long as we are seeing progress then I'm willing to be patient.

Just one final word. That referee :evil: What does Flint need to do to get a penalty ? on 4 occasions he was so clearly held that everyone in the ground could see it apart from the ref. The one time he even has his shirt pulled up around his shoulders :roll: In a position like we are in we need some decisions to go our way and nobody could claim that was the case last night !!

Let's hope Morison gets a reaction on Saturday.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:10 am

piledriver64 wrote:As I said previously, "just wait until the first loss" and then we would see why the club has consistently gone for short term fixes in terms of managers and playing style :banghead: Our fan base is fickle and has no patience as demonstrated last night.

Compared to the c£%p we watched under McCarthy that was a massive change, and I would argue, improvement and yet we have fans booing players off during substitutions and at half-time and full-time.

Morison is making a huge change in style but is tied with the same players. We want to play a passing game yet we still have Flint, Nelson or Morrison as CBs and that simply isn't something they are capable of. I deliberately leave McGuinness out of that because he actually looks to get it on the floor. Personally I would give Pack a go at centre back, it didn't do too badly there at the end of last season and in this system it might suite him even better.

Last night the team selection was a positive one with two upfront. I would agree that playing Bacuna in a forward position doesn't work but maybe Morison felt he need to try it in the new style, hopefully now he will learn quicker than McCarthy did !!

I do think that the team looks massively better when Colwill plays in behind Moore. He gives us someone who can travel with the ball, commit defenders and pull them out of their defensive line. It's not so much the direct impact he has but also the threat that the opposition have to guard against.

I said before Morison was appointed that he should be told to just keep us up and use the season to further develop his philosophy. Unfortunately that will mean that will lose a few more on the way but as long as we are seeing progress then I'm willing to be patient.

Just one final word. That referee :evil: What does Flint need to do to get a penalty ? on 4 occasions he was so clearly held that everyone in the ground could see it apart from the ref. The one time he even has his shirt pulled up around his shoulders :roll: In a position like we are in we need some decisions to go our way and nobody could claim that was the case last night !!

Let's hope Morison gets a reaction on Saturday.

I agree :thumbright: there were shouts infront of me last night for hit it long do what we do best and this was 20mins in. I know we struggled to break them down but ffs surely this is what we trying to get away from

Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:13 am

Events conspired against me last night and at the last minute I couldnt get down to the stadium.

Were people booing because of the lack of effort ? , the general performance ? the tactics ? or what ?

Playing at U23 level you dont have much public accountability - and maybe people look purely at the result. Playing at first team level - every decision / selection you make is there for all to see. If it doesnt play out well - fans will voice their concerns immediately and directly at those responsible for making those decisions - the players and the manager.

If you are seen to making an effort and narrowly missed a chance people dont mind so much, if you are running round like a headless chicken trying to justify your wages - people soon realise very quickly.

If we were 'unlucky' last night then so be it - but if players like Bacunna it seems were trying to look busy whilst actually doing anything - then it's going to be a very very short honeymoon period for Morison.

Minimum was a point last night - and we failed.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:21 am

Ridiculous that there was booing last night. It was the new managers first home game and we have a young team who have began to pull themselves together lately. They need our encouragement more than ever.

I hope anyone who booed is embarrassed with themselves.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:32 am

I never ever understand booing your own team especially at half time with the game in the balance.
It seems to have crept more and more into the game these days not just with us but across the board with other clubs.
As far as the Bacuna situation I thought people were cheering the introduction of Colwill rather than Bacuna being substituted, but ultimately if Bacuna
wants to feel better about himself perhaps he should have a greater impact on each game he plays.
Joe Ralls stood out when he came on last night in his efforts to drive us forward.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:59 am

Well ok for Morrison to state he does not understand the fans reaction, but surely the players need to instill some intensity in their approach.

Also whoever is going to take this club forward needs support from VT, whether it is loans, freebies or outright purchases.
The squad is crying out for creativity and pace.

At present i really do not think we have enough to stay up.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:13 am

Not sure many city fans have the patience for the style of football city are trying to evolve After years of long ball football I had people around me. who for years have been claiming and about at players to keep the ball and not just lump 20 feet in the air to now complaining we are taking to many passes and we should just lump it up field
Do we have the players to play this style of football is the big question as many of the passes are too slow as players need more than one touch to move it on Bacuna and Vaulks last night were all over the place and were no outlet for Pack at all When Ralls came on the system worked so much better I know the main stat is 1-0 but all other stats were in city’s favour which shows some progress
The one thing that yesterday showed and we all know it is the team lacks pace and that needs to be dealt with in January if possible

Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:34 am

Having nothing better to do I've watched the game over this morning and I've been left as frustrated as I was when I left the stadium last night, why? because we deserved more than to lose from the only effort on target that Hull had. We deserved at least a draw from the game last night but at times we made it easy for Hull and for most of the game we played in front of Hull with most attacking or shots coming through the middle

One thing does jump out at me and that is just how different the style is compared to when MM was picking the team and tactics. Make no mistake the hoof ball days are gone as last night and the number of passes have increased massively, pass completion % has gone up over 25% when compared to some games under MM. In the majority of match stats we were clear winners except of course goals scored, but Steve Morrison can do nothing when players miss guilt edge chances like Bacuna and Collins did.

Also the referee didn't help and only he will know how we didn't get at lest one penalty and the ease with which Hull got away with time wasting was down to him and him alone.

Steve Morrison is a few weeks into his role and there has been a change in performance if not results and I'm sure in the coming weeks and months we will play worse than last night and win. But for me having watched it again the Pack, Vaulks and Bacuna mix just doesn't work.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:29 am

castleblue wrote:Having nothing better to do I've watched the game over this morning and I've been left as frustrated as I was when I left the stadium last night, why? because we deserved more than to lose from the only effort on target that Hull had. We deserved at least a draw from the game last night but at times we made it easy for Hull and for most of the game we played in front of Hull with most attacking or shots coming through the middle

One thing does jump out at me and that is just how different the style is compared to when MM was picking the team and tactics. Make no mistake the hoof ball days are gone as last night and the number of passes have increased massively, pass completion % has gone up over 25% when compared to some games under MM. In the majority of match stats we were clear winners except of course goals scored, but Steve Morrison can do nothing when players miss guilt edge chances like Bacuna and Collins did.

Also the referee didn't help and only he will know how we didn't get at lest one penalty and the ease with which Hull got away with time wasting was down to him and him alone.

Steve Morrison is a few weeks into his role and there has been a change in performance if not results and I'm sure in the coming weeks and months we will play worse than last night and win. But for me having watched it again the Pack, Vaulks and Bacuna mix just doesn't work.

Agree with everything you've said put accross very well

Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:59 am

castleblue wrote:Having nothing better to do I've watched the game over this morning and I've been left as frustrated as I was when I left the stadium last night, why? because we deserved more than to lose from the only effort on target that Hull had. We deserved at least a draw from the game last night but at times we made it easy for Hull and for most of the game we played in front of Hull with most attacking or shots coming through the middle

Extremely well put and agree with everything you’ve said, especially in relation to the refereeing - god knows how many times Flint was protesting about having his shirt tugged.

It probably sounds like a case of sour grapes, but all you ask for is parity.