Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Vaulks and Bacuna

Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:23 am

There are no redeeming qualities about these two.
Put simply they are inept and weaken our team.
Why Morison decided to pick them is a mystery, and a real error.
Ralls is average but he is slightly better than those 2.
Our central midfield is and has been for a long time the root of our deficiencies.
I doubt if there is another championship team who would pick any of Pack Ralls Vaulks or Bacuna. They are all pedestrian plodding and slow.

Re: Vaulks and Bacuna

Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:12 am

Was literally just about to post the same thing. Pack is a poundland version of Pirlo. Vaulks only has a long throw. Bacuna I honestly don't know how he made pro.

That midfield 3 will send us down. It's all very well playing the ball on the deck but we can't with these 3.

We have alot of bad footballers in that starting 11 and as much as I want to see us pass the ball through teams we simply don't have the players.

Nelson looks petrified everytime the ball is at his feet. McGuiness is probably the only centre back we have that looks comfortable on the ball but that's not saying much there's definitely a mistake in him.

The passing last night was way too slow and easily read, no invention. The only player that tried to make things happen and penertrate their defence was Davies and alot of the time it looked like he was playing their defence on his own.

January is going to be big for us, make no mistake about it if we don't sort centre midfield and defence out we are going down.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:39 am

D.A.C. wrote:Was literally just about to post the same thing. Pack is a poundland version of Pirlo. Vaulks only has a long throw. Bacuna I honestly don't know how he made pro.

That midfield 3 will send us down. It's all very well playing the ball on the deck but we can't with these 3.

We have alot of bad footballers in that starting 11 and as much as I want to see us pass the ball through teams we simply don't have the players.

Nelson looks petrified everytime the ball is at his feet. McGuiness is probably the only centre back we have that looks comfortable on the ball but that's not saying much there's definitely a mistake in him.

The passing last night was way too slow and easily read, no invention. The only player that tried to make things happen and penertrate their defence was Davies and alot of the time it looked like he was playing their defence on his own.

January is going to be big for us, make no mistake about it if we don't sort centre midfield and defence out we are going down.

Another thing that maddened me last night was the constant passing sideways along the back 3. When they’d done that 4-5-6 times it either went back to the keeper or to someone in front of them with their back to goal who promptly passed it back to them or who just aimlessly punted it forward.

Only the introduction of Ralls changed that but fleetingly before he and Pack competed to see who could play deepest.
Yet after the game Morison bewilderingly said Bacuna was playing well and was unlucky to come off. Really????

Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:47 am

Danny Says wrote:
D.A.C. wrote:Was literally just about to post the same thing. Pack is a poundland version of Pirlo. Vaulks only has a long throw. Bacuna I honestly don't know how he made pro.

Another thing that maddened me last night was the constant passing sideways along the back 3. When they’d done that 4-5-6 times it either went back to the keeper or to someone in front of them with their back to goal who promptly passed it back to them or who just aimlessly punted it forward.

Only the introduction of Ralls changed that but fleetingly before he and Pack competed to see who could play deepest.
Yet after the game Morison bewilderingly said Bacuna was playing well and was unlucky to come off. Really????

All of our midfielders are receiving the ball with backs to goal most of the time and only Colwill has the ability to receive on the turn.
There’s obviously reasons why he didn’t start last night but I can’t help thinking that the pedestrian passing to / from / by our midfield players allowed Hull to shift their cover accordingly.
I just don’t think we have enough good players in the middle of the park.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:51 am

Danny Says wrote:Another thing that maddened me last night was the constant passing sideways along the back 3.

There was frequently nobody to pass to though, and that's a problem with the system we're playing and lack of movement. Pack got a lot of grief for not playing forward, but more often that not there was no-one there. If he does pass it forward, we lose the ball and get hit on the counter.

I felt for Curtis Nelson too last night - we should not be playing him in a LB/CB role. Sick of playing 3 at the back tbh. 3 managers have tried it now and it doesnt work.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:16 am

theDelaney88 wrote:
Danny Says wrote:Another thing that maddened me last night was the constant passing sideways along the back 3.

There was frequently nobody to pass to though, and that's a problem with the system we're playing and lack of movement. Pack got a lot of grief for not playing forward, but more often that not there was no-one there. If he does pass it forward, we lose the ball and get hit on the counter.

I felt for Curtis Nelson too last night - we should not be playing him in a LB/CB role. Sick of playing 3 at the back tbh. 3 managers have tried it now and it doesnt work.

Good post and therein lies the biggest problem, i.e. lack of movement into receiving positions, which left Pack and the back line passing the ball to each other like a training exercise because they had no viable outlet further upfield; and when they did the opposition just seemed to be in the right place to mop it up

Too easy for people to be negative after that game but in reality only the result was different to previous ones

Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:38 am

Sven wrote:
theDelaney88 wrote:

Good post and therein lies the biggest problem, i.e. lack of movement into receiving positions, which left Pack and the back line passing the ball to each other like a training exercise because they had no viable outlet further upfield; and when they did the opposition just seemed to be in the right place to mop it up

Too easy for people to be negative after that game but in reality only the result was different to previous ones

Not how I saw it mate. Moore and Davies made plenty of runs off the ball but Pack was too busy getting his passing ratio up. I'm sorry but relying on this old, slow poundland Pirlo to get us on the front foot will be our downfall he needs to go.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:01 pm

D.A.C. wrote:
Sven wrote:
theDelaney88 wrote:

Not how I saw it mate. Moore and Davies made plenty of runs off the ball but Pack was too busy getting his passing ratio up. I'm sorry but relying on this old, slow poundland Pirlo to get us on the front foot will be our downfall he needs to go.

Not as i saw it I thought the front two gave Pack no options at all They we’re very static as far as i was concerned

Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:24 pm

I sit in 117, virtually right in line with the front 2 all first half.

I lost count the amount of times Moore and Davies made runs and the defence but mainly Pack were faffing around going sideways and backwards.

Fans saying Moore has been lazy I watched him closely last night when he does make a good run Poundland Pirlo doesn't even attempt to find him and after a while Moore gives up.

Summed up the first half for me when the only time Pack looked to play forward it was well overhit and straight out for a goal kick.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:27 pm

I really don’t see the need for 3 at the back.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:37 pm

I’d keep only Ralls on at a push. The 3 others can be released or bought out.

Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:57 am

Abergavenny wrote:
D.A.C. wrote:
Sven wrote:
theDelaney88 wrote:

Not as i saw it I thought the front two gave Pack no options at all They we’re very static as far as i was concerned

I give Hull City a little credit, as their 'closing down' of our players in their own half caught us out and too often the players looking to receive the ball were isolated and/or the wrong side of their man; hence the balls that were played forward ended up at opposition feet

I'm sure it will be addressed and the (still new) manager will learn from what he saw