Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

45 years ago

Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:58 pm

45 years ago we knocked spurs out of the cup,one he'll of a day on and off the pitch .

Re: 45 years ago

Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:39 pm

Caztheturkk wrote:45 years ago we knocked spurs out of the cup,one he'll of a day on and off the pitch .

I was there :bluebird: :D

Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:05 pm

I was there...in the boys enclosure at the front of the Grange End. :bluescarf:

Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:07 pm

Was there too ..and still got the programme ..15p

Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:10 pm

Bluebird For Life wrote:
Caztheturkk wrote:45 years ago we knocked spurs out of the cup,one he'll of a day on and off the pitch .

Me too; and one of the best days/results at Ninian Park with a super goal from Peter Sayer worthy of winning any game in any competition :clap: :notworthy: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:58 pm

Couldn’t make it.. was on the Grange the week before, Robin Friday debut(also Paul Went).. what a great end that was.

Match of the Day goal.. well done by PS.

Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:27 pm

I was in the Canton Stand with my dad when Peter Sayer almost burst Pat Jennings’s net - almost directly in front of us.

Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:50 pm

It was my 3rd live game at NP. I was in a packed Bob Bank.

Remember my heart bring in my mouth when Alfie Conn’s overhead kick in the last minute bounced off the post and then safely into Ron Harley’s hands.
Loved the Wrexham game that followed and the Everton game after that.

Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:31 am

I was in the Grange end... Lively for a youngster at that time.

Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:05 pm

One of the first Cardiff games I went to. Very different from anything I’d experienced in Scotland :lol:

Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:44 pm

Jock wrote:One of the first Cardiff games I went to. Very different from anything I’d experienced in Scotland :lol:

In what ways mate?

Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:40 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Jock wrote:One of the first Cardiff games I went to. Very different from anything I’d experienced in Scotland :lol:

In what ways mate?

Went from watching Rangers with a massive support drawn from all over U.K. to the City who’re a proper local club with a fan base drawn from Cardiff and surrounding South Wales towns probably 25mile radius. But the biggest difference was how matches were policed, you could get away with a lot more :lol: The atmosphere was excellent and the chants used to crack me up.

Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:48 pm

Jock wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

In what ways mate?

Went from watching Rangers with a massive support drawn from all over U.K. to the City who’re a proper local club with a fan base drawn from Cardiff and surrounding South Wales towns probably 25mile radius. But the biggest difference was how matches were policed, you could get away with a lot more :lol: The atmosphere was excellent and the chants used to crack me up.

Cheers Jock :bluescarf:
Would love to see an old firm game.

Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:37 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Jock wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

In what ways mate?

Cheers Jock :bluescarf:
Would love to see an old firm game.

Really tough getting tickets now for OF games, each supporters club used to get an allocation but it’s pretty much season ticket holders only now. Also both clubs have banned away fans which will affect the atmosphere.

Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:24 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:It was my 3rd live game at NP. I was in a packed Bob Bank.

Remember my heart bring in my mouth when Alfie Conn’s overhead kick in the last minute bounced off the post and then safely into Ron Harley’s hands.
Loved the Wrexham game that followed and the Everton game after that.

The Wrexham game was a real nail biter. Finished 3-2 to the City in the end.

Against Everton, I think we went a goal up. Near the end, the one player in our team who was unlikely to score (Keith Pontin, a really fine defender) had a great chance which he couldn’t convert.

Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:29 pm

Sven wrote:
Bluebird For Life wrote:

Me too; and one of the best days/results at Ninian Park with a super goal from Peter Sayer worthy of winning any game in any competition :clap: :notworthy: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

The goal started Match of the Day for a few years if i recall