Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ Should Cardiff City Renew his Contract? “

Wed May 11, 2022 6:26 am

Rovers should look to 'lure' Connolly back

James Connolly 21 yrs old this year and is out of contract with Cardiff next month.
Has made 21 appearances for Bristol Rovers in League 2, but has never played for Cardiff City first team.

Should Cardiff renew his contract?

Steve Morison says; “the step up from the U23’s , League 1 & 2 is massive to the Championship.”

Bristol Rovers should try to lure James Connolly back to the Gas this summer, according to Sam Frost at Bristol Live.

Joey Barton's side have enjoyed a stunning end to the season, sealing promotion to League One on goals scored after thrashing Scunthorpe United 7-0 at the Memorial Stadium, overcoming a five-goal swing.

Cardiff loanee Connolly has been a vital part of the Gas' resurgence in the latter half of the season and Bristol Live's Rovers correspondent certainly agrees.

In a Q&A with fans, Sam was asked which moment saw the season turn around and he replied: "There have been so many, that it's a bit simplistic to say the season turned on one moment, but I think January transfer window was the biggest.

"In that month, Barton went a long way to fixing a leaky defence with the signing of James Connolly. What a bit of business that has turned out to be."

The 20 year-old defender, who captained Cardiff's under-23s under Steve Morison at the beginning of the season, is out of contract next month. While it is as yet unknown if he will stick around, Sam believes the Bluebirds will want to have him back this summer.

"Connolly is out of contract at Cardiff, but they will want to keep him after such a good loan spell," he added. "If he doesn't renew, Rovers would have to pay compensation as he is an under-24 player.

"Centre-back is an area of priority [in the transfer window] with Rovers' starters in that area belonging to other clubs. Either they will need to lure [Connor] Taylor and Connolly back or they will have to rebuild in that position."

Re: “ Should Cardiff City Renew his Contract? “

Wed May 11, 2022 6:56 am

Renew his contract, give him a season in league 1 with Rovers, reassess his progress next summer. If it doesn't look like he can make the stepup, try cash in with a league 1 club.

Wed May 11, 2022 8:55 am

I would renew but loan him back out to Bristol Rovers.

Wed May 11, 2022 12:44 pm

He is 20 years old.

Wed May 11, 2022 2:50 pm

If he’s done well while out on loan then obviously give him a contract. That’s the whole point in loaning somebody out, to see if he can handle it and he’s proved he can.

Wed May 11, 2022 5:26 pm

Interesting, I was speaking to a Rovers fan who said he’s been great for them but that it was a bit early to say if he’d make it in the Championship.

Ciaron Brown seems to have done OK at the lower level but I couldn’t ever see him making it higher up.

To be fair to Connolly he’s still very young for a centre back so another contract might be an educated gamble.

Wed May 11, 2022 5:29 pm

I assume we have an option of another year, otherwise, it's not our decision, is it?
We can offer him a new deal, but renewing sounds like it's totally within our remit and I am unsure if that is the case.

What is the situation?

Wed May 11, 2022 5:47 pm

Needs a contract and loan back to Bristol rovers for league 1 with recall clause inserted for jan

Wed May 11, 2022 8:05 pm

A big difference between League One and the Championship.

Wed May 11, 2022 11:04 pm

City slicker27 wrote:Renew his contract, give him a season in league 1 with Rovers, reassess his progress next summer. If it doesn't look like he can make the stepup, try cash in with a league 1 club.

Agree :thumbup: