An Important Season for Bagan?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Barclay1 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:05 am

Not sure what to make of Joel this year with SM bringing in options for left back, and Left Wing back.

We've also got a few players who can play at left back. Is it time to move on, and not live in a period when Bagan was considered the best available?

After breaking through in the FACup against Reading two seasons back, he has shown promise and went through a good goalscoring patch when he pushed forward.

He has since gone backwards in my opinion and hasn't achieved consistency needed for championship football.

Is it time to send him away on loan to at least a league One club to get him proper game time and really assess him for next level football?
1st Game 24th Nov 1973 City v Bolton 1-0 (Gil Reece)
Barclay1

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: An Important Season for Bagan?

Postby piledriver64 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:23 am

Barclay1 wrote:Not sure what to make of Joel this year with SM bringing in options for left back, and Left Wing back.

We've also got a few players who can play at left back. Is it time to move on, and not live in a period when Bagan was considered the best available?

After breaking through in the FACup against Reading two seasons back, he has shown promise and went through a good goalscoring patch when he pushed forward.

He has since gone backwards in my opinion and hasn't achieved consistency needed for championship football.

Is it time to send him away on loan to at least a league One club to get him proper game time and really assess him for next level football?

I think a loan now or in January might be the best way forward.

He proved in that excellent run of form (albeit short !) that he has ability, particularly going forward.

However, he also showed that defensively he needs to improve. His positioning has been poor at times and he's also been skinned by a few wingers up against him.

I don't think he's a lost cause but he needs to make those improvements this year if he's going to make it at this level.
piledriver64

Postby TheHangedMan » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:39 am

It's good to read balanced posts as opposed to "he's crap, get rid" or "the best ever to come out of the academy".

I think a loan spell in L1 would do him a lot of good to work on his defensive frailties and if he can sort these out and be more consistent he's worth keeping long term. :bluebird:
Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious........
TheHangedMan

Postby worcester_ccfc » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:24 am

piledriver64 wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:Not sure what to make of Joel this year with SM bringing in options for left back, and Left Wing back.

I think a loan now or in January might be the best way forward.

He proved in that excellent run of form (albeit short !) that he has ability, particularly going forward.

However, he also showed that defensively he needs to improve. His positioning has been poor at times and he's also been skinned by a few wingers up against him.

I don't think he's a lost cause but he needs to make those improvements this year if he's going to make it at this level.

Yeah, perfect summary. Agree with all of this - a loan move is the best option.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby GaerBlue » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:31 am

Don’t really know what he does during a game. If we are to use wing backs then they need to be creative ala Drameh or Giles. Bagan is caught in no man’s land a lot of the time. If we have a decent offer to sell then I’d take it, if not, loan him out to L1 or Scotland. He needs a good run of games now or he isn’t going to progress.
GaerBlue

Postby Sneggyblubird » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:55 am

Bagan can now go back to doing what was meant for him at this stage of his career.He's not the finished product yet but it would silly toi write him off just yet. The gaffer's the best judge.
Sneggyblubird

Postby WenvoeBluebird » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:37 pm

Am I harsh in saying I'd expect a lot more from a player in his 20's?

Not a youngster anymore. Maybe this season we'll see an improved player but I won't hold my breath.
WenvoeBluebird

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:16 am

He seems to be a confidence player, when he’s playing well he’s much happier to get forward get crosses in and he can score goals he has proved that

But he seems to go into his shell a bit when he’s not playing well and not get forward as much

He’s got lots of potential but as others have mentioned already needs to start showing it more in games
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:22 am

No confusion here about Bagan for me.

Unless he goes out on loan he’ll be a squad player fighting for his place in the starting lineup. Just as it should be.
He’s shown promise so we definitely need to keep him and see if he improves. He’s still young.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby bluebird7291 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:52 am

Don't get the hype at all. Runs as if he's stood in quick stand.
Every time we've been beaten well (Swansea for instance) just doubled up on him.
He gets way too close to the CB which creates major issues. He's worried about the splitting pass which then means they have all the time in the world to get the cross in.
bluebird7291

Postby bluebird04 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:25 am

can't see anyone seriously wanting to buy him, loan him out for game time, seems to be someone who struggles with confidence, i seen him at the Luton game, he looked out of his depth, soon as he recieved the ball he was looking to pass it away, wouldn't go forward, and one occassion they had a corner, he has was back post and he ducked out of heading the ball, and thankfully the luton lad hit the side netting, but when he has confidence he seems to a decent looking player, shame, if he was at this stage when he was 18, i'd say keep him for a few years to develop, but he's 21 now this year
bluebird04

Postby Bluebina » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:58 am

There is a footballer in there, I think a lot of work in preseason and the early part of the season and he could break into the team if needed. He's not ready defensively but I think he could be, if he's not improved by January then loan him out, but I have a feeling he will come good, work hard Bagan if you're readng this you can do it if you give it your all!
Bluebina

Return to General Chat