Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Gareth Bale is torn between Cardiff City and USA

Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:06 pm

Gareth Bale appears to be torn between Cardiff City and a transfer to America as he ponders his next move.

A contract by the Hierarchy has been on the table for Bale following intensive negotiations with the Welsh captain and his representatives, but he has yet to sign it.

Bales himself is asking for no wages, his agent just asking for all the sponsorship’s and extra sales above the average, the hierarchy are believed to have proposed similar but not going along all of it?

In the interim, Bale's agent Jonathan Barnett has confirmed talks are ongoing 'with lots of other clubs.' Two of those are believed to be Major League Soccer teams in the USA, who would be able to offer Bale a vastly bigger salary than he could earn with Championship club Cardiff.

The lure of the Bluebirds is for Bale to come home for personal reasons and cement an even greater Welsh football legacy by firing Cardiff into the Premier League. It is an option he is still strongly considering. Bale, 33, is weighing up what to do next, having held conversations with Cardiff manager Steve Morison on Wednesday. You can read more about that here.

Bale's agent Jonathan Barnett politely said on Thursday morning he could offer no update at this stage, but confirmed a decision 'will be made in the next few days'.

Two American clubs are among those who have also made offers to the talismanic Welsh skipper and they too are waiting on his decision. Cardiff remain hopeful they can still land the five-time Champions League winner, which could spark further big names arriving this summer and the Bluebirds expected to challenge for promotion.

However, Bale has a lot to weigh up, including the best preparation for his and Wales' World Cup dream in Qatar, where they meet England, USA and Iran in the group stages.

Wales' medics are also housed at Cardiff's training HQ on the outskirts of the Welsh capital, and that could yet be a pull. Bale is to leave Wales for a holiday in Asia in the coming days and intends on letting Cardiff and the American clubs know of his decision before that.

Premier League trio Newcastle United, Nottingham Forest and former club Tottenham have also been linked with Bale, while there is also German interest. The most recent odds from the bookmakers appear to back up the dilemma Bale is facing. He is 4-5 to join the Bluebirds, with any MLS club at 11-8. The bookies see it as a straight fight between Cardiff and America
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Gareth Bale is torn between Cardiff City and USA

Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:10 pm

Head of Sport Paul Abbandonato spoke to Bale's agent Jonathan Barnett this morning. The feedback is decision 'within next few days' but still mulling over options. Barnett has previously told us 'money will not be a factor' in this decision. Very polite and indeed apologetic in not being able to offer more definitive guidance at this stage, but looks like the final pros and cons are all being weighed up

The Cardiff deal, we're told, is 'highly complicated. It's not the usual straight salary etc, so that will be forming part of the negotiations, last-minute thinking'.

Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:12 pm

I will state again Dalman should not fail, it’s simple , Bale is not costing us a penny, we only benefit and should bend over backwards for Bale.

Only our Board could complicate things as usual, we can only gain.

Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:58 pm

Is bale' s holiday in Malaysia asia.?

Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:01 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I will state again Dalman should not fail, it’s simple , Bale is not costing us a penny, we only benefit and should bend over backwards for Bale.

Annis, I agree with this 100%

Barclay says the same thing but people seem to react to his comments just because it's him

Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:01 pm

montyblue wrote:Is bale' s holiday in Malaysia asia.?

Yes I bet its at tans Hotel. :lol:

Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:03 pm

Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:I will state again Dalman should not fail, it’s simple , Bale is not costing us a penny, we only benefit and should bend over backwards for Bale.

Barclay says the same thing but people seem to react to his comments just because it's him

Im not sure what mental gymnastics would be involved in blaming the board if he decides he wants to go to America.... But I'm sure some will get there.

Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:07 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:

Im not sure what mental gymnastics would be involved in blaming the board if he decides he wants to go to America.... But I'm sure some will get there.

If bale wants to come here and it’s not about money then he will come, the board no doubt will offer the best financial package they can but at the end of the day the decision is bales it’s not as simple as saying he wants to come here if he doesn’t must be the boards fault

Some people on here are ridiculous Paul they really are already blaming Tan for him not coming

Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:11 pm

At no point has Bale travelled to US. So unless its all done my Skype and he's not worried about training etc....

Equally being at Cardiff he's around the Wales set up. Training facilities and staff..

Its a no brainer for me. Although I expect Bale to announce it rather than the club.

Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:12 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:

exactly my thoughts.. it is still bale's decision... for all we know his mrs could fancy living in Miami for a few months and persuade him. I am sure the club do want him and will offer everything they can to get him but the decision lies with bale

Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:13 pm

Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:

I will say it to anyone. There may be certain contract riders that are a step too far for the club BUT AGAIN we should wait for the outcome and the sticking points before blame is apportioned.

In the scenario laid out in this thread, it seems this choice could be seen as purely heart or pocket, but the MLS finishing in October must be a factor.

Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:22 pm

Wayne S wrote:
Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:

I will say it to anyone. There may be certain contract riders that are a step too far for the club BUT AGAIN we should wait for the outcome and the sticking points before blame is apportioned.

In the scenario laid out in this thread, it seems this choice could be seen as purely heart or pocket, but the MLS finishing in October must be a factor.

Only one thing to say here.
The MLS season ends on October 9th., there is no way in this world that GB would be match fit for the world cup 21st November if he went there, you are talking about a period of 6 weeks with no games to get and keep fit :banghead:

Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:35 pm

Maybe sign for MLS and then season long loan to the Bluebirds or until after the World Cup is finished.