Goalkeeper

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Goalkeeper

Postby Sloper Road » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:49 am

I think the mom for me was the goalkeeper.
When I have ever had a keeper that command's his box, and be so comfortable on the ball. He also looks like he's a decent shot stopper.
This makes such a differance to the side, no more aimless punt up the field or a kick straight into the stands.
He also knew how to game manage the added 7 mins, slowing it down and keeping the ball.
Made the other city keepers of recent seasons look like park players albiet on £ 30k a week!. Just shows you don't need to spend a fortune to get a good player. Or better player.
Sloper Road

Goalkeeper

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Goalkeeper

Postby JJ1927 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:59 am

Sloper Road wrote:I think the mom for me was the goalkeeper.
When I have ever had a keeper that command's his box, and be so comfortable on the ball. He also looks like he's a decent shot stopper.
This makes such a differance to the side, no more aimless punt up the field or a kick straight into the stands.
He also knew how to game manage the added 7 mins, slowing it down and keeping the ball.
Made the other city keepers of recent seasons look like park players albiet on £ 30k a week!. Just shows you don't need to spend a fortune to get a good player. Or better player.

Not my MOM but totally agree with you about his presence in the box which is so important. Some of the great keepers of old like Schmichael (the elder), Southall etc commanded their box and let everyone on the field know it. Not saying Alsop is in their league but it was great to have a keeper in this mold. It gives the defence confidence.
JJ1927

Postby Sven » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:06 am

So good, you don't know his name...? :?

Ryan Allop; and he did look a step above what we had :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby GaerBlue » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:13 am

Can remember seeing him for derby v City last season and spent more time outside his area than he did in it. Was a bit underwhelmed when we signed him but I’ll already happily say that I’ve been proved very wrong. Reckon the lad would just feint to go one way and go the other way past a train going 100mph towards him. Great save from that overrated Cantwell too. Another fantastic pick up by SM and his team.
GaerBlue

Postby jimmy_rat » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:30 am

Have to say I enjoyed his performance too and general attitude. Seems a bit of a character. Confident, imposing and a bit of a shithouse. Exactly what I want from a keeper.
jimmy_rat

Postby Longshot » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:49 am

One very good save and a very confident performance, BUT ! he must have kicked straight out of play at least four times :banghead:
Longshot

Postby OwainGlyndŵr123 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:19 pm

The exact reason Dibble was moved on in my opinion. Finally got a goalkeeper that can play from the back. We’ve always had decent shots stoppers but nobody who could really control and distribute.
OwainGlyndŵr123

Postby Bluebina » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:34 pm

Wheres Dibble and Smithies, oh they were treated so badly :roll:

Thanks God Morison binned them off and got in a keeper and coach tha know what a modern goalkeeper needs to do, Alsopp is better with the ball at his feet than most of the outfield players we binned off :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
Bluebina

Postby Bluebina » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:38 pm

I had a great view of that save it was going right in the side netting, Smithies and Phillips would have got no where near it, that would have been a goal and the whole game would have looked completely different, a keeper like that is worth as much or more as a top striker, he got us at least two more points yesterday.

Now we need to add up top our Strikers are not up to it, hopefully that performance will persaude Tan and Dalman to give Morrison whatever he wants and trust him to spend the money wisely!
Bluebina

Postby GaerBlue » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:22 pm

Longshot wrote:One very good save and a very confident performance, BUT ! he must have kicked straight out of play at least four times :banghead:

How many times did Norwich’s international World Cup keeper Tim Krul who’s on about 40K a week, kick it straight out of play? About 15 times more than Alsopp who’s on a quarter of what Krul is.

I know which one I’d prefer to have in the team.
GaerBlue

Postby piledriver64 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:27 pm

Longshot wrote:One very good save and a very confident performance, BUT ! he must have kicked straight out of play at least four times :banghead:

He did hit touch but it was because he was trying to be pinpoint and hit a player right on the touch line to set up an attack. Very different to Smithies and Phillips who would aim for the centre circle and still hit touch !!!!!!!!!!
piledriver64

Postby bluebird7291 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:43 pm

2 of the 4 was intentional. Due to being pressed and under pressure, playing it long and out of play gives your team time to get back up the pitch. Sometimes it's needed.
bluebird7291

Postby Sloper Road » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:57 pm

Sven wrote:

Missing spelling his name ,when you tell me I didn't mention it...can't make it up!!!
Sloper Road

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:24 pm

Sven wrote:

Who is Ryan Allop :lol: :lol: Stones and glass houses spring to mind
1980s Bluebird

Return to General Chat