Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ Ollie Tanner ‘

Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:33 am

It will take time to bed in players like Tanner, one for the future.

Ollie Tanner aged 20 previous club FC Lewis

By Glen Williams ( Junior Reporter )

Monday 1st August 2022

Take someone like Ollie Tanner, for example. If he had been with the Bluebirds last term, when over ten young players were thrown in to the first team squad, he might have been forced into the starting XI early on and the onus and pressure would have been placed squarely on his shoulders.

Now, though, that isn't the case. He, like Rubin Colwill, will have to bide his time as Callum O'Dowda, Sheyi Ojo, Jaden Philogene and Gavin Whyte provide some seriously stern competition for those positions.

The fact Steve Morison named Tanner on the bench for the season opener against Norwich City perhaps tells its own story, though. It shows where he is in the manager's thinking.

Many supporters eager to see him in action. He looked sharp in pre-season before a small injury setback and he came with a burgeoning reputation as an exciting talent, despite stepping up from the Isthmian League with 8th league Lewes FC.

STEVE MORISON:

Speaking about the winger on Thursday, Morison said: "Ollie Tanner is a project, he has time to grow." There is hope that he is an exciting project, but a project nonetheless.“

The 20-year-old will see the move to the Bluebirds as a bit of a shock to the system; training full-time, every day and playing in front of 20,000 supporters on a Saturday afternoon is quite the shift for him from crowds of 200.

But that isn't to say he is not in the manager's thinking or, indeed, that Morison doesn't think he is up to it. While Colwill, Isaak Davies and Joel Bagan were given huge responsibility last season, Morison now has the luxury of dipping Tanner in and out of the side when he sees fit. It's a far healthier environment in which to nurture the player's talent.

"He's got as good a chance as anyone," Morison said when asked about his potential first-team involvement.

"But I think his development is key because it has to be done correctly. He has come up seven steps, not trained week in week out, or every day. He's not played ever at the type of atmosphere or level that he will be expected to.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ‘ Ollie Tanner ‘

Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:37 am

Don’t think we will see much of him this season.

Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:42 am

We all want to see more youngsters in the side & been calling it for years. But it wasn't brilliant for their development when McCarthy threw them in to an awful side where they carried the burden.

Feels like this is a much better approach.

Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:09 pm

I am sure there will be times when hopefully he can come on if we are leading comfortably last 10 mins etc or cup games hope we do not farm him out to someone else he is 20 not 16 big enough and old enough and experience can only come if you play in the championship

Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:25 pm

As far as I can tell the lad hasn't even played at U21 level for an EFL club so he'll take some time to get used to full time training never mind game time. I think the gaffer is the right man to nurture this undoubted talent into a mighty player.

Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:00 pm

montyblue wrote:I am sure there will be times when hopefully he can come on if we are leading comfortably last 10 mins etc or cup games hope we do not farm him out to someone else he is 20 not 16 big enough and old enough and experience can only come if you play in the championship

Or if we’re losing with 15 mins to go maybe

Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:22 pm

montyblue wrote:I am sure there will be times when hopefully he can come on if we are leading comfortably last 10 mins etc or cup games hope we do not farm him out to someone else he is 20 not 16 big enough and old enough and experience can only come if you play in the championship

Agree with you. As you say he is 20 not 16. Not saying we should throw him in at the deep end but if he is good enough he needs to be given experience in the Championship sooner rather than later. When i first starting watching football City started a game with Toshack 16 and Johnstone 19 up front. Within a year the latter was signed by Arsenal - though he didn't really make it there and 3 years later Toshack was at Liverpool. And only one sub in those days and little protection from the referee:old:

Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:00 pm

JJ1927 wrote:

Agree with you. As you say he is 20 not 16. Not saying we should throw him in at the deep end but if he is good enough he needs to be given experience in the Championship sooner rather than later. When i first starting watching football City started a game with Toshack 16 and Johnstone 19 up front. Within a year the latter was signed by Arsenal - though he didn't really make it there and 3 years later Toshack was at Liverpool. And only one sub in those days and little protection from the referee:old:
Not a proper comparison really and this if they are good enough their old enough really doesn't cut it today and makes my blood boil.The comparison between Toshacks days and today doesn't work.The injuries you hear of today were unheard of at that time and the fitness levels are way above what they were then.Just imagine Tosh as part of a high press. :lol: they would have stretchered him off before have time.

Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:15 pm

Good God we see 16 and 18year olds making debuts all the time in prem championship surely he' s fit enough for 15 min spells or 45 mins to much cotton woolying these days and to much b.ll.cks spoken about these fitness regimes snybody would thunk the people on this forum are all qualified football trainers if the guy is flagging after 15 mins then get him off but really all the sport scientist's.

Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:56 pm

JJ1927 wrote:

For me, the key is, that when the time comes, supporters should be just that. and support him fully and not get on his back when things are not going so well. We seem to have the makings of a decent side here.

Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:03 pm

8-)
montyblue wrote:Good God we see 16 and 18year olds making debuts all the time in prem championship surely he' s fit enough for 15 min spells or 45 mins to much cotton woolying these days and to much b.ll.cks spoken about these fitness regimes snybody would thunk the people on this forum are all qualified football trainers if the guy is flagging after 15 mins then get him off but really all the sport scientist's.

Remember Norman Whiteside Debut @ 17 fucked by 25-retired at 27.For every youngster thats a success at 17 theres a shedfull that don't make it.I have high hopes for this lad and if he pans out like he should we'll turn a tidy profit out of him.Remember Aaron Ramsey he didn't exactly walk into the Arsenal side either. Bought him young and looked after him until he was ready.

Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:22 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:8-)
montyblue wrote:Good God we see 16 and 18year olds making debuts all the time in prem championship surely he' s fit enough for 15 min spells or 45 mins to much cotton woolying these days and to much b.ll.cks spoken about these fitness regimes snybody would thunk the people on this forum are all qualified football trainers if the guy is flagging after 15 mins then get him off but really all the sport scientist's.

Remember Norman Whiteside Debut @ 17 fucked by 25-retired at 27.For every youngster thats a success at 17 theres a shedfull that don't make it.I have high hopes for this lad and if he pans out like he should we'll turn a tidy profit out of him.Remember Aaron Ramsey he didn't exactly walk into the Arsenal side either. Bought him young and looked after him until he was ready.

I dont think you can compare an 18 year old Aaron Ramsey signing for one of the outstanding sides of the decade with the situation of Tanner. And Ramsey made his debut within weeks of signing and became one of the youngest players ever to score in a Champions League game.

Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:08 pm

Best way to develop and gain experience is just play the player(s). Give ollie 20-15 minutes atleast at Reading, whatever the result is, then start him against Portsmouth - giving him the full 90 if he's got it in the tank.
There's no other way. Simple.

Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:10 pm

Caerdydd12 wrote:Best way to develop and gain experience is just play the player(s). Give ollie 20-15 minutes atleast at Reading, whatever the result is, then start him against Portsmouth - giving him the full 90 if he's got it in the tank.
There's no other way. Simple.

Agree re Pompey but only play on Saturday if it’ll help us win, certainly not play at all costs imo.