A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Sol Bamba ,Joe Bennett, Jonny Williams all gone

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:00 pm

I can see a bit of a clear out coming

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:08 pm

Igovernor wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:MM indicated that the ready made replacement for Harry Wilson was Williams.

Maybe if he could stay fit, but we don't want a player who will only give you 10 to 15 games a season. We've had too many crocks and still have two on the books. Surprised he's keeping Murphy as he's not showing consistency, Whyte and Glatzel a surprise too.

This is just a retained list all under contract. If MM wants to get money for them he has to retain them. With murphy and glatzel if he realeased them we would not get a penny. Just because any player is on the retained list does not mean that MM wants to keep them.

im sure there are one or two Mick would love to move on even for free.... but under contract means just that..

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:23 pm

skidemin wrote:
Igovernor wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:MM indicated that the ready made replacement for Harry Wilson was Williams.

Maybe if he could stay fit, but we don't want a player who will only give you 10 to 15 games a season. We've had too many crocks and still have two on the books. Surprised he's keeping Murphy as he's not showing consistency, Whyte and Glatzel a surprise too.

This is just a retained list all under contract. If MM wants to get money for them he has to retain them. With murphy and glatzel if he realeased them we would not get a penny. Just because any player is on the retained list does not mean that MM wants to keep them.

im sure there are one or two Mick would love to move on even for free.... but under contract means just that..

Yes they are under contract but there are numerous ways to move a player on and the new one is a swop!

All players want to do is play and if they are not in the managers thoughts they will leave. It might take a bit of manoeuvring but it can be done.

Take it from me that retained list will see some manoeuvring before we kick a ball

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:25 pm

Pulisnewport wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Pulisnewport wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Big Hill Blue wrote:Can't fathom why Johnny was even brought here...

Nor me.

£50,000 wasted

There will be more movement on that retained list before we kick a ball. That’s for sure.

100% Karl and there needs to be :thumbright: :thumbright:

Annis, could be at least 7 of those on that list some sold others on loan. Last I heard 3 incoming very soon as one would say the plates are spinning and it’s if we can keep them spinning!

Well for me Karl, Tomlin would be top of my list if we could get rid without costing to much.

Quite a few others.

Vassell cost us £millions like Tomlin.

Max Watters is not a Championship player.

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:36 pm

Pulisnewport wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Igovernor wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:

Yes they are under contract but there are numerous ways to move a player on and the new one is a swop!

All players want to do is play and if they are not in the managers thoughts they will leave. It might take a bit of manoeuvring but it can be done.

Take it from me that retained list will see some manoeuvring before we kick a ball

indeed..you can pay up contracts.. swop.. sell ..or tell a player to look for a free transfer... ... but you cant just decide to omit anyone under contract from your retained list.... take it from me all those i mentioned have zero to do with a retained list being.... manouvered... they are completely different things..... ...players do generally want to play but finances can often dictate....

Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:20 pm

skidemin wrote:
Pulisnewport wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Igovernor wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:

indeed..you can pay up contracts.. swop.. sell ..or tell a player to look for a free transfer... ... but you cant just decide to omit anyone under contract from your retained list.... take it from me all those i mentioned have zero to do with a retained list being.... manouvered... they are completely different things..... ...players do generally want to play but finances can often dictate....

Why are we onto omitting players off a retained list?

You’ve totally lost me on that one hmmm!

I’ve pointed out that players on the retained list will leave just like I said in January that Bennet, Bamba and Hoilett would leave at the end of the season! Have they?

Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:24 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Pulisnewport wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Pulisnewport wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Nor me.

£50,000 wasted

There will be more movement on that retained list before we kick a ball. That’s for sure.

Annis, could be at least 7 of those on that list some sold others on loan. Last I heard 3 incoming very soon as one would say the plates are spinning and it’s if we can keep them spinning!

Well for me Karl, Tomlin would be top of my list if we could get rid without costing to much.

Quite a few others.

Annis, If Tomlin comes back fit he will be gone. If he doesn’t want to leave he will be kicking his heels until his contract ends and then he will be club less and skint.

Vassel will have a punishing pre season and personally I don’t think he will make it. As far as Watters is concerned I’d like to see more of him but could be a loan in the offing.

Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:42 pm

Such a shame Bennett and Bamba couldn't leave the club with fans watching them in the stadium. Both have been incredible players for us throughout the seasons and would love to wish them well for there future football careers because we have lost a gem in Bennett, and of course would wish Bamba well because both will always have a place in our clubs history. As for Jonny Williams well it is also a shame to let the welshman go but i feel this was not a permanent move for him and i would also like to wish him well for the future. And good luck for the Euros of course.

As for the retain list there are only 2 I have issues with and that is Tomlin & Whyte. Now I have no idea why Whyte stays when he would probably want to stay with Hull after claiming promotion. And for Tomlin well could it be another season for him on the bench or behind the scenes injured we will have to wait and see but the gaffer seems to want to give him another chance but as fans of course we will give the lads full support for next season. And of course with a few more signings we can charge for promotion yet again and hopefully with fans back.

BLUEBIRDS :bluescarf: :bluebird: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:56 pm

wez1927 wrote:

Probably got someone else coming in now

Bale ;)

if not maybe we'll see more of young Rubin?

Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:25 pm

Pulisnewport wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Pulisnewport wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Igovernor wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:

I’ve pointed out that players on the retained list will leave just like I said in January that Bennet, Bamba and Hoilett would leave at the end of the season! Have they?

there were only 6 senior players in the last year of their contract , so there were never going to be any surprises... .... 5 of them left Brown stayed no surprises....
yes of course we can still sell players.... and tell under contract players they are free to look around elsewhere { which doesnt mean we then do not have to honour their contracts should they fail to do so } ...and yes you were correct that the players who had turned down new offers would leave..

Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:33 pm

skidemin wrote:
Pulisnewport wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Pulisnewport wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Igovernor wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:

there were only 6 senior players in the last year of their contract , so there were never going to be any surprises... .... 5 of them left Brown stayed no surprises....
yes of course we can still sell players.... and tell under contract players they are free to look around elsewhere { which doesnt mean we then do not have to honour their contracts should they fail to do so } ...and yes you were correct that the players who had turned down new offers would leave..

Not sure Bennett would have left had he not got injured.

Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:34 pm

Omitting players from retained lists not honouring players contracts.

You couldn’t make it up with some idiots on this site.

Annis I’m all for opinions but you should sort some of them out for either not reading what’s written or not understanding ha ha.

Pick out 10 and I’ll put them in a line and tell number one a short sentence and I bet when number 10 gives it back it’s not what number 1 was told.

Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:35 pm

maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Pulisnewport wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Pulisnewport wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Igovernor wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:

Not sure Bennett would have left had he not got injured.

He was already going to another club before his injury.

Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:41 pm

Pulisnewport wrote:
Sven wrote:In order...

Very sad (Sol)
Expected and wish him the very best (Bennett)
A make-weight to cover positions in the squad (Williams)

Wish them all the best going forward and hope (but I no longer expect) Sol comes back in some capacity, as I think we'll be missing a trick... :clap:

Chris, he wanted to much and to keep playing. Never going to happen with a new centre back coming in. Money, age and injuries are going to rule clubs from now on.

Thanks, Karl. I knew he would have to take a playing pay cut but not that a replacement was being lined up :thumbright:

Looks like a much needed shake up this close season and I'm all for that, so long as the recognised areas are prioritised...

Like you, I am encouraged rather than discouraged by what I am seeing to date

Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:38 pm

Sad to see them leave.

Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:33 am

Why on earth are we keeping Isaac Vassell. Totally beyond belief. Another Jazz Richards (Sicknote).
Stop wasting our money on his salary MM and get rid NOW.

Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:07 am

Forever Blue wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:No arguments really.

Would have been a nice gesture to keep Sol Bamba on for another year. But, as said above, no room for sentiment. He would be highly unlikely to play many games so it would be a waste of money.

Bennett's wages are too high, particularly with his injury.

Right to let all the others go as well.

Jonny Williams, injury prone, throwing money in the air, had to go.

Plus two very high earners of wage bill as well.

Totally with you Ned on both the others :thumbright: :bluebird:

Agreed.

Sad Bamba won't be given a coaching role but must say I am pleased with the players we are letting go

I like Bennett but there are cheaper and younger options out there.

Same for Junior.

Williams was always a strange signing and Mick hardly played him.... I was disappointed when Mick said he was a replacement for Wilson, so I'm pleased he's been let go. He will get a great league 1 club

Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:08 am

Blueberry Jam wrote:Why on earth are we keeping Isaac Vassell. Totally beyond belief. Another Jazz Richards (Sicknote).
Stop wasting our money on his salary MM and get rid NOW.

I think it would be more expensive to get rid of him than keep him as he's still under contract. Also, finest the insurance contribute for long term injured players? That used to be the case but may have changed now.

Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:12 am

When a player is under contract he is automatically on the retained list unless the club (or player) don’t want them to be and BOTH sides agree to a mutual ending of that contract.

We have a number of players who MM would love to not be on the retained list but it’s not his choice unless the club pay the player off in full for what he is owed in his contract.

Ergo, they are on the retained list and will start preseason training. Which squad they train with will be telling to the priority Mick places on them.

Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:21 am

We need a left and right wingback, as a key position for Micks system and a position where we seem to have consistently regular injuries, get the chequebook out!

Bennet is big loss, we need a starter with Bagan as back up and cover for NG.

Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:25 am

Bluebina wrote:We need a left and right wingback, as a key position for Micks system and a position where we seem to have consistently regular injuries, get the chequebook out!

Bennet is big loss, we need a starter with Bagan as back up and cover for NG.

I still think Whyte would be decent right wing back. Freeing up NG for right centre back.

Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:26 am

The retained list is a bit of a gimmick. Most of the players are under contract until the end of June, it just clears the public confusion on what clubs are planning to do with those whose contact is likely to expire. In truth, the players agent has been in talks with other clubs when a suitable contact was not placed in front of their client several months earlier.

Sergio Augero will not be on the retained list for citeh, that's no surprise because that's all we have been hearing about for the last few months. Juniors agent must have something planned, same with Bennett. I feel if Sol want to continue playing then in maybe in the LoW, but he may have something planned, maybe with his dad in the northeast.

Never a fan of Jonny Williams but it is clear that the emergence of Rubin Colwel has made that one less position to externally fill. During the last window barely anyone had pencilled him in as a starter for next season so the Willaims trial was worth it.

I wish we'd stop saying we need to get rid of player xx or yy, its not that easy !! Yes, Vassell and Tomlin have very few 90 mins game over their time with us, but they are contracted until June 22 (maybe more with Vassell) we would have to pay clubs to take them off our hands. No different to Bale, you want me gone, cool let's settle. Madrid will have to pay Bale £13 million to rip up his contract, we'd have to do that with those two (on a lesser extent)

It's the U23 kids I feel for. I really think the whole U23 project is badly letting down these kids. They should be finding their level by 20"ish" and try to work up the pyramid from there. Pissing around in non-competitive games doesn't aid them, I'd scrap it and return to a midweek reserves squad. I'd have U18 for the academy kids then when you have a professional contract you are in the reserve squad and have a max of 18 players. The hoarding of young players is wrong.

Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:24 am

llan bluebird wrote:The retained list is a bit of a gimmick. Most of the players are under contract until the end of June, it just clears the public confusion on what clubs are planning to do with those whose contact is likely to expire. In truth, the players agent has been in talks with other clubs when a suitable contact was not placed in front of their client several months earlier.

Sergio Augero will not be on the retained list for citeh, that's no surprise because that's all we have been hearing about for the last few months. Juniors agent must have something planned, same with Bennett. I feel if Sol want to continue playing then in maybe in the LoW, but he may have something planned, maybe with his dad in the northeast.

Never a fan of Jonny Williams but it is clear that the emergence of Rubin Colwel has made that one less position to externally fill. During the last window barely anyone had pencilled him in as a starter for next season so the Willaims trial was worth it.

I wish we'd stop saying we need to get rid of player xx or yy, its not that easy !! Yes, Vassell and Tomlin have very few 90 mins game over their time with us, but they are contracted until June 22 (maybe more with Vassell) we would have to pay clubs to take them off our hands. No different to Bale, you want me gone, cool let's settle. Madrid will have to pay Bale £13 million to rip up his contract, we'd have to do that with those two (on a lesser extent)

It's the U23 kids I feel for. I really think the whole U23 project is badly letting down these kids. They should be finding their level by 20"ish" and try to work up the pyramid from there. Pissing around in non-competitive games doesn't aid them, I'd scrap it and return to a midweek reserves squad. I'd have U18 for the academy kids then when you have a professional contract you are in the reserve squad and have a max of 18 players. The hoarding of young players is wrong.

If only Tomlin could be relied upon to be fit we could have him and Colwill in the squad for the 10 role. Then when LT goes at the end of the season, RC would be a first teamer. Big ‘if’ though unfortunately

Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:40 am

Did JW turn down the offer of a contract with us ?

Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:47 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Pulisnewport wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Pulisnewport wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Nor me.

£50,000 wasted

Quite a few others.

Bit unfair to include waters with them two Annis , the two above him have cost us millions, in fees and wages, waters has cost us peanuts in comparison, and when he was bought, many said there was little to lose on giving him a go.
I think he must be on relatively low wages? So maybe a loan would be best option for him, the other two, well it's anybody guess, but Pulisnewport seems to think he has anybody good idea? :thumbup: :old: :bluebird: