Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Bordeaux’s fee? payments from Cardiff to Nantes Suspended

Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:44 am

Bordeaux deny reports they asked for a fee they were "due" from Emiliano Sala's transfer from Nantes to Cardiff City.

Payments from Cardiff to Bantes have been suspended.

Monday 28th January 2019
Sala's former club are believed to be owed a chunk of the £15million deal, with French media claiming they have demanded that fee in recent days.

Bordeaux have now issued a strongly-worded statement to the contrary.

The plane which Sala and pilot David Ibbotson were flying in disappeared from radar near the Channel Islands last Monday evening.

Sala, who had just completed a Cardiff club record move from Ligue 1 side Nantes, was en route to link up with his new Bluebirds teammates when the plane vanished.

It is understood payments from Cardiff to Nantes have been frozen at this time following the tragedy.

Reports have claimed the Bluebirds are "looking at the potential possibility" of a legal claim, with Nantes, Bordeaux and consultant Mark McKay — who often acted on behalf on Nantes in transfer dealings — all due percentages of the deal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Bordeaux’s fee? payments from Cardiff to Nantes Suspende

Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:28 am

Not surprising that payments are suspended,probably trying to sort out the legal side and insurance ,has this ever happened before ? A player going missing 48 hours after the signing off a contract? Is there a cooling off clause ?

Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:36 am

wez1927 wrote:Not surprising that payments are suspended,probably trying to sort out the legal side and insurance ,has this ever happened before ? A player going missing 48 hours after the signing off a contract? Is there a cooling off clause ?

The club are doing exactly the right thing by suspending payments. As it is an employment contract rather buying goods I doubt there is a cooling off period. It will come down to who is to blame for the tragedy, although generally no-one gets the blame in situations like this and will all come down to what the individual terms are of the insurance policies held by CCFC Nantes the agent and air plane owners etc.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:39 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
wez1927 wrote:Not surprising that payments are suspended,probably trying to sort out the legal side and insurance ,has this ever happened before ? A player going missing 48 hours after the signing off a contract? Is there a cooling off clause ?

The club are doing exactly the right thing by suspending payments. As it is an employment contract rather buying goods I doubt there is a cooling off period. It will come down to who is to blame for the tragedy, although generally no-one gets the blame in situations like this and will all come down to what the individual terms are of the insurance policies held by CCFC Nantes the agent and air plane owners etc.

I would think the insurance companies of all will come together to sort it

Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:40 am

pretty sure Cardiff payed 5 million by bank transfer on the Saturday.

do not see any valid reason to not pay the fee either as the accident had nothing remotely to do with the selling club.

our club will do the right thing, thank goodness we have proper people running it.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:43 am

dogfound wrote:pretty sure Cardiff payed 5 million by bank transfer on the Saturday.

do not see any valid reason to not pay the fee either as the accident had nothing remotely to do with the selling club.

Sala was at the Nantes training ground on the Monday also Nantes paid MacKay the agent and he arranged the travel ,so to say it's nothing to do with the selling club isn't true

Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:54 am

No 'cooling off' period, Wez; but it makes sense to suspend (rather than stop) payments whilst the legalities of the situation are reviewed

As someone else pointed out, there usual period for someone to remain 'missing presumed dead' is 7 years. However, this are not set in stone and there are circumstances where the 'likelihood' of death can be legally presumed at an earlier time

"A person may be legally declared dead in absentia, i.e. a legal presumption of death may be declared, despite the absence of direct proof of the person's death, such as the finding of remains (e.g., a corpse or skeleton) attributable to that person. Such a declaration is typically made when a person has been missing for an extended period of time and in the absence of any evidence that the person is still alive – or after a much shorter period but where the circumstances surrounding a person's disappearance overwhelmingly support the belief that the person has died (e.g., an airplane crash)."

We can only pray for the miracle that would find both Emiliano Sala and Dave Ibbotson alive; but even confirmation of the tragedy that appears to have occurred would be better than the 'not knowing' scenario his family, friends and footballing community are currently having to suffer

The search should continue until all avenues are exhausted and huge credit must go to all those who have made that possible financially :clap:

Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:56 am

wez1927 wrote:
dogfound wrote:pretty sure Cardiff payed 5 million by bank transfer on the Saturday.

Sala was at the Nantes training ground on the Monday also Nantes paid MacKay the agent and he arranged the travel ,so to say it's nothing to do with the selling club isn't true

the agent was not Nantes agent and where Emiliano went or who he went to see has nothing to do with the accident.
cooling off p[eriod. ?

Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:05 am

this article comes from sportsbible, is not being reported by any other Media and has already drawn a strongly worded denial from Bordeaux.

the sportsbible by the way is most famous for reporting Bradely Lowery had died when he had not.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:21 am

dogfound wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

the agent was not Nantes agent and where Emiliano went or who he went to see has nothing to do with the accident.
cooling off p[eriod. ?

That's the way I see it. He was a Cardiff player at the time of the accident. If reports are to be believed, this was a trip he undertook of his own accord to tie up a few personal things. I don't think there was anything officially linked to Nantes FC regarding this trip. Not sure his former club would be liable for anything at all, but law is a strange subject, and what can sometimes appear to be blatantly obvious to us, is often completely different as far as the legalities are concerned.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:23 am

our club will do the right thing, thank goodness we have proper people running it.

I see a massive problem with the insurance not paying, just my opinion and I can it eventually turning quite nasty.

I can see Cardiff having to pay the balance themselves, as Sala was no longer a Nantes player.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:33 am

Guessing its suspended untill they can sort it out with insurance so its paid that way rather hten straight out of Cities bank

Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:34 am

Forever Blue wrote:

I see a massive problem with the insurance not paying, just my opinion and I can it eventually turning quite nasty.

I can see Cardiff having to pay the balance themselves, as Sala was no longer a Nantes player.

I think the legal problems here are going to be between ourselves and various insurance companies and maybe our agent .
do not see us having problems with Nantes who were not that keen on even selling him, and who had no say as to when he flew or on what flight he was on or who arranged it. Mckay in fact was our agent in the negotiations

Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:36 am

dogfound wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I think the legal problems here are going to be between ourselves and various insurance companies and maybe our agent .
do not see us having problems with Nantes who were not that keen on even selling him, and who had no say as to when he flew or on what flight he was on or who arranged it. Mckay in fact was our agent in the negotiations

Yes I see us having big problems with the insurance companies.

But I also see Nantes eventually demanding their money from Cardiff, if the insurances don't pay out.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:36 am

Logie wrote:Guessing its suspended untill they can sort it out with insurance so its paid that way rather hten straight out of Cities bank

we have already paid they arranged instalment.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:46 am

Forever Blue wrote:

I honestly think it will have to go to court but i do think insurance compaines will have to pay it in the end ,it might be the planes public liability insurance that will pay it, ive got 10 million public liability and 5 million employers on my small chip shop im sure these plane companies have a lot more ,if the insurance companies don't pay out what is the point in having insurance in tb3 first place ?

Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:58 am

wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I honestly think it will have to go to court but i do think insurance compaines will have to pay it in the end ,it might be the planes public liability insurance that will pay it, ive got 10 million public liability and 5 million employers on my small chip shop im sure these plane companies have a lot more ,if the insurance companies don't pay out what is the point in having insurance in tb3 first place ?

I am not an insurance expert but if someone were to die in your shop would it not be the next of kin that get the pay out and not the employer of the dead person no matter how valuable they might be to their employer.?

my thoughts on this are the club must have our players insured and its that policy which will pay out .the question is do clubs have to add players individually { and did they get it done in this case } or is it a group cover that kicks in on a player officially becoming a Cardiff player.

what I do not see is how this effects Nantes.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:19 pm

I think the transfer fee should be paid in full, although expect it will be mostly covered by insurance.

With regards to wages, I wonder if this should be paid... my wages wouldn't get paid if the same thing happened to me.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:45 pm

But surely using the same logic Cardiff City have nothing remotely to do with what happened? At the end of the day we paid a substantial down payment for a player who was tragically lost in transit. We are as much the victims here as Nantes are and I don't accept that paying the full amount is the right thing to do.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:48 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Yes I see us having big problems with the insurance companies.

But I also see Nantes eventually demanding their money from Cardiff, if the insurances don't pay out.

TBH Annis I think it is impossible for you to be wrong on that one.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:50 pm

T1JMO wrote:I think the transfer fee should be paid in full, although expect it will be mostly covered by insurance.

With regards to wages, I wonder if this should be paid... my wages wouldn't get paid if the same thing happened to me.

According to a newspaper report yesterday the transfer fee is just the start. CCFC still have to honour Sala's contract which will be paid to his next of kin.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:54 pm

T1JMO wrote:I think the transfer fee should be paid in full, although expect it will be mostly covered by insurance.

According to a newspaper report yesterday the transfer fee is just the start. CCFC still have to honour Sala's contract which will be paid to his next of kin.

I also read that, somehow it doesn't seem fair to be paying wages as our families wouldn't receive such payments in the same circumstances.

Usually when you pay for a contract you are paying to be provided with goods or services, in this case (very sadly) the service we are paying for will never be provided.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:32 pm

Lots of if's and buts .

Depends if we have " key man insurance , depends on what insurance company also as a lot of insurance companies wont want the negative PR due to it being such high profile claim if lots of other sports stars are insured through them.

There could also be a contribution from several different insurance companies if we cannot prove where the fault lay and they are all separate types of insurance

It gets very , very technical in establishing the route or proximate cause of the death/disappearance as there is lack of evidence currently .This could go on for years and years , not sure how it would work if no body/wreckage is found .

Regarding the payments to Sala's family that is par for the course with a lot of companies nowadays as an employee benefit , think it would be death in service payment of around 2-4 times the salary .

Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:46 pm

T1JMO wrote:

I also read that, somehow it doesn't seem fair to be paying wages as our families wouldn't receive such payments in the same circumstances.

Usually when you pay for a contract you are paying to be provided with goods or services, in this case (very sadly) the service we are paying for will never be provided.

Depends on your situation ,if you have life insurance your family would receive money or if your company pay death in service as a benefit your family would get 2-4 times your salary as a tax free payment.

Would that poor lad have been on that plane if it wasn't for us buying him and him being an employee of CCFC ? no he probably wouldn't of been.

I'm sure his family would give away all there worldly possessions to have him back even for a day , the money isn't important to us or to them but it helps soften the blow and is the correct thing to do .

Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:31 pm

But surely using the same logic Cardiff City have nothing remotely to do with what happened? At the end of the day we paid a substantial down payment for a player who was tragically lost in transit. We are as much the victims here as Nantes are and I don't accept that paying the full amount is the right thing to do.

lost in transit.?

Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:46 pm

he signed and was registered by ourselves on the Saturday therefore becoming 100% a Cardiff City player.
his { LOST IN TRANSIT } trip to France was personal and nothing to do with his transfer.

and as a Cardiff City player it was our clubs responsibility to have insurance cover .

do not see how Nantes could have Cardiff players included in their insurance

Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:52 pm

Not 100%, but just told Cardiff have not paid the original £5mill due last Thursday, City froze it and never sent it?

Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:54 pm

Tony,

I have been told the same and about the rest of the money and aperently are yet to pay the £5mill deposit?

Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:57 pm

The club is believed to have had £16million (20.9m euros) of personal accident (PA) protection with the financial giant Lloyd’s to cover its players. Trade magazine Insurance Insider reports the club’s accident policy is led by China Re Syndicate 2088 and brokered by Miller. Sala’s name is likely to have been added to the Premier League club’s policy when the transfer was completed on January 19, just two days before his death. China Re’s lead line represents around 16 percent of the total limit, with other Lloyd’s insurers set to pay the rest of the claim. The Piper Malibu aircraft, which vanished off the coast of Guernsey, is also insured in the London market.

The minimum £17million transfer fee for the Argentinian striker, excluding the £3million Premier League survival bonus. was previously agreed to be paid in three instalments. The player’s agent, Meissa N'Diaye, and McKay were also due huge windfalls.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:16 pm

Forever Blue wrote:The club is believed to have had £16million (20.9m euros) of personal accident (PA) protection with the financial giant Lloyd’s to cover its players. Trade magazine Insurance Insider reports the club’s accident policy is led by China Re Syndicate 2088 and brokered by Miller. Sala’s name is likely to have been added to the Premier League club’s policy when the transfer was completed on January 19, just two days before his death. China Re’s lead line represents around 16 percent of the total limit, with other Lloyd’s insurers set to pay the rest of the claim. The Piper Malibu aircraft, which vanished off the coast of Guernsey, is also insured in the London market.

The minimum £17million transfer fee for the Argentinian striker, excluding the £3million Premier League survival bonus. was previously agreed to be paid in three instalments. The player’s agent, Meissa N'Diaye, and McKay were also due huge windfalls.

I read this too, seems a ridiculously low amount of insurance cover tbh.