Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Tom Davies signs new contract

Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:18 pm

Tom Davies has signed a new contract with the Bluebirds, extending his time in the Welsh capital with a one-year deal, including the option for a further year.

The 20-year-old - who made his competitive First Team debut in 2021 - spent the 2023/24 season gaining valuable senior experience with Scottish side Kilmarnock, who finished fourth in the Scottish Premiership.

Tom has also made his first appearance for Wales U21 during their current EURO Qualification campaign, with the young Dragons currently sat in second place in their group.

Tom Davies
Speaking to Cardiff City TV, Tom said: “I’ve been with the Club for the best part of then years, so being a Cardiff boy I’m delighted. I want to establish myself now in the First Team. I have a bit of experience around it from before, so now I hope I can push on. I think it’s a good place for a young player to be at the moment.

“I grew up going to all of the games, and there are still a few players from then who are here now, so it’s really good to be training with them everyday. A few of the boys got their opportunities at the end of last season, so hopefully I can be the next one to break through.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Tom Davies signs new contract

Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:22 pm

Tom Davies who is 21 yrs old this year,

Made 9 appearances for Pontypridd United in 2023 on loan

Made only 6 appearances for Kilmarnock in 5 months and only started 2 of them, struggled.

Never played for Cardiff City’s first team.

My view, I am in shock like I was with Kieron Evans 22 yrs old.

100% these decisions were not Erol Buluts.

I do agree they are on very very low wages but, if we really are going for Top 6 or even Top 2 we need a lot better.

Sorry but totally unconvinced???

Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:03 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Tom Davies who is 21 yrs old this year,

Made only 6 appearances for Kilmarnock in 5 months and only started 2 of them, struggled.

I do agree they are on very very low wages but, if we really are going for Top 6 or even Top 2 we need a lot better.

Need numbers for reserve team and doesn't there have 5o be a certain amount of home grown players registered?

Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:26 pm

wez1927 wrote:

Need numbers for reserve team and doesn't there have 5o be a certain amount of home grown players registered?

Also need to give them a contract that was better than last one so that we can get compensation if they went due to their age...otherwise would lose them for nothing! Useful for the squad as you say

Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:38 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Also need to give them a contract that was better than last one so that we can get compensation if they went due to their age...otherwise would lose them for nothing! Useful for the squad as you say

Allan,

I’ve stated it year after year on players like these, they are worthless and will not be help to our first team at all.
Plus Wez says for the U21’s, but for me nearly 21 yrs old and 22yrs old. Should have well and truly made it.
Struggled with Kilmarnock and the played in the lower Mon Leagues, def def not Championship material.
Said it before on 9/10 of our players and year later or 2 years later released time and time again.

I am sat with a Kilmarnock fan and he thought Davies was not good enough at all and they could not wait for him to go.

Remember 3 yrs ago we apparently had 12 great players , All failed badly for us.

We have to stop keeping players like these if we really want to progress.

I really thought we had stopped carrying players and were bringing better in?

We have some great 18 yr olds they should be playing.

Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:06 pm

Unpopular opinion maybe but I really don't rate any of our youngsters.

Looking back at some of the players that came through the youth ranks Ramsey, Ledley, Earnshaw, Collins, Gabbidon, Jerome probably some more I can't think of all went on to play in the premier league.

The best we have at he moment is probably Rubin and he is no where near premier league standard.

My kid plays for Barry and it's scary the amount of talented young kids that the jack's are picking up who are Cardiff born and who's family are Cardiff fans.

They all say the same Cardiff don't want to know unless you're kid is tall or physical and that is where the problem lies.

We don't produce footballers anymore and this current crop of youngsters is a prime example.

Until we have a change in attitude from the bottom to the top this will carry on for years.

Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:33 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Allan,

I’ve stated it year after year on players like these, they are worthless and will not be help to our first team at all.
Plus Wez says for the U21’s, but for me nearly 21 yrs old and 22yrs old. Should have well and truly made it.
Struggled with Kilmarnock and the played in the lower Mon Leagues, def def not Championship material.
Said it before on 9/10 of our players and year later or 2 years later released time and time again.

I am sat with a Kilmarnock fan and he thought Davies was not good enough at all and they could not wait for him to go.

Remember 3 yrs ago we apparently had 12 great players , All failed badly for us.

Agree about the age they should be playing in 1st team... and it is bad that we cannot produce homegrown talent it would help if could keep academy staff we've lost several very good coaches like Hughes... like side reason got contract club will now be pade compensation if go......but must question is it worth keeping them for that reason as clearly not good enough for championship.

Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:51 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Allan,

Agree about the age they should be playing in 1st team... and it is bad that we cannot produce homegrown talent it would help if could keep academy staff we've lost several very good coaches like Hughes... like side reason got contract club will now be pade compensation if go......but must question is it worth keeping them for that reason as clearly not good enough for championship.

I agree Allan,

We’ve lost some good Coaches.

I also agree if they are not Championship material move them out.

Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:55 pm

Neither of these players are kids - they should be established at this age
They can’t even get games in lower leagues - why are we offering them contracts ?

Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:38 pm

Mr Moo Cow wrote:Neither of these players are kids - they should be established at this age
They can’t even get games in lower leagues - why are we offering them contracts ?

That’s the big big question????

Sat Jun 29, 2024 12:16 pm

I wonder, so last season, we lost O'Dowda to an injury, Collins was out, and we were forced to play winger, Tanner at left back. Esbrand was out injured also. I wonder if Bulut is saving the money for other positions so, but giving him a new contract, probably 1 year, it means if Collins does get injured we will have Davies and Bagan as cover, whos wages are probably less combined than it would cost us to get in experienced cover.

Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:06 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Mr Moo Cow wrote:Neither of these players are kids - they should be established at this age

Sad to say I think it's because as per usual, the club don't want to spend money, do not have a quality youth development / scouting staff in place, and they simply want to be seen as taking some kind of action, however minimal.

It's not good enough and been this way ever since we last got relegated from the Prem.

Obviously aware of the embargo / legal action circus etcetera. For me, it all points to an ownership who are not sufficiently interested and passionate about taking the club on an upwards trajectory.

New owners would be great, coming in to sweep away a few years of neglect.

Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:27 pm

Tuna Pasta Bake wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Sad to say I think it's because as per usual, the club don't want to spend money, do not have a quality youth development / scouting staff in place, and they simply want to be seen as taking some kind of action, however minimal.

It's not good enough and been this way ever since we last got relegated from the Prem.

Obviously aware of the embargo / legal action circus etcetera. For me, it all points to an ownership who are not sufficiently interested and passionate about taking the club on an upwards trajectory.

Absolutely Totally agree with you.

But it’s been stated Min Top 6 to Top 2, then if so I expect quality to come in big time.

Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:08 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Tuna Pasta Bake wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

But it’s been stated Min Top 6 to Top 2, then if so I expect quality to come in big time.

The competition is not great in training when you see who we are offering contracts too at the moment Players who are just not good enough to be first team players or good enough to put pressure on our first team players.

Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:52 am

Abergavenny wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Tuna Pasta Bake wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

The competition is not great in training when you see who we are offering contracts too at the moment Players who are just not good enough to be first team players or good enough to put pressure on our first team players.

That’s not good at all to hear.

Evans and Davies got recommended by Purse and he decides who goes and stays with the U21 , sadly that is a fact.
But these two players should of been at other clubs by now, say League 2.