Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MY VIEW: CARDIFF’S FIRST MATCH AND TODAY AGAINST A VERY YOUN

Sat Aug 10, 2024 1:27 pm

MY VIEW: CARDIFF’S FIRST MATCH AND TODAY AGAINST A VERY YOUNG SUNDERLAND SIDE CARDIFF STRUGGLED ONCE AGAIN IN FRONT OF GOAL AND ENDED UP WITH YHEIR FIRST GAME HOME YET AGAIN LIKE LAST SEASON ANOTHER HOME DEFEAT.

Sunderland with the youngest squad in the Championship.

City did play quite well but against a very ordinary Sunderland side for me this was a terrible home defeat.

Not happy at all with this defeat.

And we could not score.

Punchless upfront

A good performance against a very ordinary Sunderland side.
Yet we could not score at home.

Erol Bulut gave :
Debuts for Chambers & Willock. Rallsy, Sio & Rambo midfield. Robbo up top!

FIRST-HALF:
GOAL! Cardiff City 0-1 Sunderland (O'Nien 18)
The free-kick was sent deep to the back post and it's two bits of bad defending from Cardiff. Firstly, to allow Neil to head back across goal, and then for them to allow O'Nien a free header two yards out.
Against the run of play, but Sunderland will take it! But far to easy.

A frustrating half for Cardiff. Who have played well on the whole, but one lapse moment in defence let them down.

SECOND-HALF:
Sunderland should of been 2nil up.

62nd Tanner off, Meite on.

67th min:
Kanga on, Robinson off.

76th min:
Willock off, Colwill on.

Ralls off, Turnbull on.

Cardiff started to look shaky.

Cardiff started to get more in to it and made some good chances but Sunderland looked way more lethal in front of goal and scored in the 89th min.
A trademark Jack Clarke goal as he cuts in from the left and fires home into the bottom corner.

CARDIFF CITY 0 SUNDERLAND 2
H-T 0-1

Crowd 22,410
Away Support 3,120 Sunderland Fans

Cardiff City XI: Horvath; Ng, Chambers, Goutas, O'Dowda; Siopis, Ralls; Tanner, Ramsey, Willock; Robinson.

Subs: Alnwick, Fagan-Walcott, Bagan, Rinomhota, Turnbull, Robertson, Colwill, Meite, Kanga
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: MY VIEW: CARDIFF’S FIRST MATCH AND YODAY AGAINST A VERY

Sat Aug 10, 2024 1:28 pm

Sunderland
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Aug 10, 2024 1:29 pm

Bulut ball is definitely back.

Absolutely shit!

Off to the pub now! Anyone off to O’Neils, I’ll see you there

Sat Aug 10, 2024 1:30 pm

Defensively, an absolute shit show.

Sunderland turned up to stop us playing. 11 men behind the ball every time, and just hit us on the break.

Didn’t look like scoring at all, although the work in between the lines was good.

If this is what beckons, L1 here we come

Re: MY VIEW: CARDIFF’S FIRST MATCH AND TODAY AGAINST A VERY

Sat Aug 10, 2024 1:32 pm

To be fair we had three clear pens turned down and then some.

Sat Aug 10, 2024 1:34 pm

Created next to nothing all day. Even in the last 20 when we were 1-0 down we were just passing around aimlessly at the back as if we were the team leading. Ramsey was a passenger the whole game, didn’t influence it in any way. A really hard watch after all the excitement had built up that we could have a decent season. It’s far too early to write us off and I’m still positive, but unless we start creating chances we could sign Haaland and still not score.

Sat Aug 10, 2024 1:35 pm

Too slow getting the ball forward and then faffing around with it outside the box & by the time we even attempt to get it into the area Sunderland had got 10 players in there waiting for it.
Same as last season, offered nothing, zero, zilch in the final third. And can someone tell Robinson to stop falling over & actually try to get to the ball, you're not getting a penalty no matter how many times you end up on the floor waving your arms around appealing for one.

Sat Aug 10, 2024 1:40 pm

Today:

Sat Aug 10, 2024 1:41 pm

Too passive and slow, punchless up front, bad defending, basically nothing's changed.

Same shit, different season.

Sat Aug 10, 2024 1:49 pm

Ok someone tell me how this team is any different to last season...

Chambers = Nat Phillips
Willock = Grant

Ramsey back, no better than Colwill or Turnbull, he is off the pace and his passing is awful

Probably the only upgrade is O'Dowda instead of Collins.

Definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Burnley away = loss
Swansea away = loss we never beat them down there and they always want it more
Boro home = loss
Derby away = draw
Leeds home = loss

Hmmmmm....

Sat Aug 10, 2024 2:02 pm

I will give my full assessment after 12 games as usual

Sat Aug 10, 2024 2:08 pm

I like the look of Willock but we are way too slow moving the ball. Could’ve been different if Robinson had taken his chances in the first half. I think a few of the old guard are showing their age.
Want to get the new boys fit asap.

Sat Aug 10, 2024 2:12 pm

Reply:

Sat Aug 10, 2024 2:13 pm

Reply:

Sat Aug 10, 2024 2:14 pm

Reply:

Sat Aug 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Sunderland Fan to me

Lee Dimmnick

Annis,
Take no pleasure in that my mate, we were SHITE!
We all thought you would best us x

Sat Aug 10, 2024 2:17 pm

Everyone thought we were going to win the leave after beating Bristol Rovers in a friendly last week. Funny how football works.

Bulut has a lot of work to do before we go to Burnley next weekend.

Sat Aug 10, 2024 2:24 pm

RallS Tanner Turnball need to be moved on

Sat Aug 10, 2024 2:40 pm

Classic away performance by Sunderland who took there chances. It reminded me of the QPR game last August which we lost in a very similar way after dominating much of the ball. Hugely disappointing but we have to be patient for all signings to be fit. My worry however is our fixture list is horrible and can easily see us being bottom 3 in September with everyone panicking. The signs were there today of some better football. We have to hold our nerve.

Sat Aug 10, 2024 2:59 pm

We take far too long to get the ball in the box. During that time, the oppo defence set nicely and win most delayed balls in.

Also, shoot more! If no pass is on, have a go. I hate the slow paced/safe ball when we're in their final 3rd.

Robbo/Ramsey etc aren't a threat in the air so get it in quick and low.

Sat Aug 10, 2024 3:12 pm

Plus ca change/ deja vu
It was just like I never left my seat from last season, soft goal and never looked like scoring.
I am v pessimistic now. My pre season optimism disappeared after 20 minutes. No left back at the far post a cross from a free kick wasteful given in a dangerous place.
The only good thing was number 16 Willock who could do some serious damage if we give him the ball.
Ratings
Horvath gave it to the back 4 who then put it anywhere sideways or backwards
NG not effective anywhere on the pitch.
Goutas can't bring it out of defence
O dowda much better winger,but not a fullback
Ralls busy going nowhere. God I miss Peter Whittinghams dead balls
tanner will have to live off his Swansea goal,not likely to score another another.
Siopis win it then surrenders it
Ramsey what colour are we playing in?
robinson, i am sure the goal posts were by there a minute ago
kanga did he come on
Mediterranean if in doubt,foul the other bloke

apologies if i missed anyone but i don't remember anyone else.

Happy days are here again. Remember dave Jones and 4,4,2.
L

Sat Aug 10, 2024 3:14 pm

Einstein wrote:Ok someone tell me how this team is any different to last season...

Chambers = Nat Phillips
Willock = Grant

Ramsey back, no better than Colwill or Turnbull, he is off the pace and his passing is awful

Probably the only upgrade is O'Dowda instead of Collins.

Definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Burnley away = loss
Swansea away = loss we never beat them down there and they always want it more
Boro home = loss
Derby away = draw
Leeds home = loss

Hmmmmm....

After that performance (same shit, different season), I agree with your predictions, and if that happens, Bulut will be gone.

Sat Aug 10, 2024 3:16 pm

Replies :

Sat Aug 10, 2024 3:30 pm

Reply:

Sat Aug 10, 2024 3:30 pm

Reply:

Sat Aug 10, 2024 3:35 pm

It's a case of deja vu isn't it. Same result, different season.

Who said we'd be more attack minded, more threatening? What a load of bollox.

Balls into the box were crap / too long. No good having 65% possession if you do sod all with it.

Same old Bulutball as I expected. He won't change and may well end up getting sacked unless he has a moment of enlightenment. Should have left Wilock on who was great and taking on his full back.

Erol - why not leave Robbo on and play Kanga alongside him? It's called 442 mate - you know, it's worth a go, you might even see us create and score more goals!

I think I'll see pigs fly before Bulut changes his rigid one dimensional formation!

Sad thing is that Sunderland sussed us easily as other teams no doubt will if the manager doesn't take blindfold off.

Sat Aug 10, 2024 3:38 pm

First 15 mins we played some superb attacking, flowing football. Until the goal… then it was back to last season… heads dropped, slow to everything, Tanner kept slowing play down, could have made some cracking balls down the channel for William to run onto but every time opted to slow the play.

After the subs we lost our width completely.

EB needs to address the head drop situation asap or we won’t be challenging for any top 6 position

Ref didn’t help with not giving certain decisions, 2 of which were clear cut penalties but we’re used to that

Sat Aug 10, 2024 4:26 pm

Burnley away next:

Sat Aug 10, 2024 5:13 pm

Replies:

Sat Aug 10, 2024 5:14 pm

Replies: