Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Neil Harris' surprising Cardiff City, Vincent Tan claim

Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:53 am

Millwall boss Neil Harris has issued a warning to Cardiff City new manager candidates and dropped a surprising claim on Bluebirds owner Vincent Tan ahead of tomorrow evening's EFL Championship clash.

The 47-year-old will return to the Cardiff City Stadium for the first time following his dismissal in January 2021 when Millwall travel to South Wales on Tuesday night.

His side may just travel across the border with a certain degree of confidence after putting Preston North End to the sword in a 3-1 home victory over the weekend, while the Bluebirds fell to yet another defeat.

Cardiff's miserable early-season form continued as they lost 4-1 at Hull City on Saturday afternoon, with interim boss Omer Riza taking the reins after the sacking of Erol Bulut. Their latest defeat now means they have lost six of their opening seven matches, with Callum Robinson accounting for Cardiff's only two goals of the 2024/25 Championship campaign to date.

However, former boss Harris has offered a glowing verdict on the club's hierarchy - who have been subjected to strong supporter criticism as of late - ahead of tomorrow's encounter, while warning potential candidates of the challenges which come with the job.

However, he has provided little secret of the natural, and pressurising, trials and tribulations which accompany managing a club and fanbase with significant expectations.

"Very enjoyable. Strange during Covid times, as well. Vincent Tan [owner] was class - an absolute class man. I got on great with him. Great support from above in Ken Choo [chairman] and Mehmet Dalman [chief executive],"Harris told London News Online of his time at Cardiff.

"I loved it. Obviously we got very, very close to the Premier League - just fell short which was a huge disappointment at the time. "It is a tough job at Cardiff City and the next manager will find that out as well! It’s very difficult to appease everybody.

"I really look forward to my first return on Tuesday to see some really, really good people.”

Quizzed on whether the Bluebirds job will be viewed as attractive to prospective coaches, he said:"It’s the capital of Wales. It is a big football club and you’re brilliantly backed by Vincent. Yeah, it is a really, really good job - but the demand is to get it right."

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/millw ... ncent-tan/

Re: Neil Harris' surprising Cardiff City, Vincent Tan claim

Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:31 am

A bit of a difference when you are backed by Keither Moore and Harry Wilson.

Re: Neil Harris' surprising Cardiff City, Vincent Tan claim

Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:38 am

Didn't mind Harris that much. He did have good players but we were good to watch that season and very nearly came back against a very strong Fulham team to make the play-off final.

It fell apart in his second season but he left us a good squad.

Unfortunately it went downhill from there.